• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD - Catalyst 14.3 Beta driver, Thief Patch featuring Mantle/TrueAudio, and fix for Vsync out now

Soldato
Any point in me changing to 14.3 over 14.2 with a 270x?

Only really play BF4 at the moment and am patiently awaiting the further optimizations that have been stated I should get with new drivers.

Soldato
Hello everyone,

Our Catalyst 14.3 Beta driver and the Thief patch by Eidos Montreal, which features our Mantle and TrueAudio technology, are available today. The patch will automatically download on PCs that have the game installed already; you can download the beta driver from here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

In addition, I’m happy to inform you that we have also included the fix for the audio Vsync bug you have reported. I’d like to thank you again for your patience and a special thank you to those of you who have provided me thorough details about the bug – very helpful :D

Please remember to check out the Feature Highlights and the Known Issues sections for more information about this version of the driver.

Any fixes to the nix driver :rolleyes:

Soldato
It uses as much as it wants. If it goes over what you have, it starts to use pagefile/dram and stuttering or fps drops occur. Mantle uses around 3.5gb of vram at 1440P ultra preset in BF4 and stays there, unless i alt tab out.

Matt, would we see any advantage/benefits setting up a Ram Drive/Ram Disk for the pagefile, would certainly be fast, would it eliminate the stuttering/fps drops which occur.

Associate
OP
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you know I'm tracking this thread and taken lots of notes. Thank you for posting by the way.

We are planning to release another driver, the WHQL, next month; and I will make sure to keep you informed on this topic.

Caporegime
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let you know I'm tracking this thread and taken lots of notes. Thank you for posting by the way.

We are planning to release another driver, the WHQL, next month; and I will make sure to keep you informed on this topic.

Better Mantle vRam optimisation for 2GB cards would be great.

At the moment Mantle uses a lot more vRam than DX, this is a problem for those 2GB cards, it means they can't run BF4 Texture quality above Medium.

In doing so the vRam soon fills up to 2GB + resulting in stuttering.

Other than that Mantle is perfect. :)

Soldato
I really hope you fix the power limit bug as its not working on this driver for me... Card keeps throttling so I went back to 13.12 and its fine.
Also the vsync sound stuttering issue is still there for me so at the this moment in time 14.3 is useless for me.

Associate
OP
Sam are they proper 7.1 or do they have sound processing to create virtual 7.1?

Hello LtMatt,
If features a 7.1 virtual surround sound engine. From what I understand, the engine allows for processing the audio source to simulate a 360 surround sound experience. When playing BF4 I am able to hear sound effects (for example bullets flying over me or enemies' footsteps, trying to sneak behind me) from any direction and able to react accordingly.

Caporegime
Yes RE: Matson, thats one other thing. to explain the problem i have.

I think this is more one for our resident 290X guru. but one thing i can tell you is CCC interferes with my overclock, it keeps trying to set it back to stock and my power limit back to 0

My solution was to unistall CCC, you don't need it anyway, just select change drivers in the unistall, advanced, unistall CCC. reboot.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26060575&postcount=2

Its been doing that since 13.12.

Caporegime
Better Mantle vRam optimisation for 2GB cards would be great.

At the moment Mantle uses a lot more vRam than DX, this is a problem for those 2GB cards, it means they can't run BF4 Texture quality above Medium.

In doing so the vRam soon fills up to 2GB + resulting in stuttering.

Other than that Mantle is perfect. :)

It's worth pointing out that memory management is almost exclusively down to the dev now and I'm under the impression from the BF4 slides from Johan's talk at GDC that in fact the memory issue is down to Dice not AMD(or at least one or two were) and that they were considering or needed to rewrite their memory management to work better.

It could be down to the drivers, or it might be down to Dice.

Caporegime
It's worth pointing out that memory management is almost exclusively down to the dev now and I'm under the impression from the BF4 slides from Johan's talk at GDC that in fact the memory issue is down to Dice not AMD(or at least one or two were) and that they were considering or needed to rewrite their memory management to work better.

It could be down to the drivers, or it might be down to Dice.

Ok, whatever or whoever can fix / optimise this... it would be nice to run higher textures in Mantle. :)

everything else on Ultra but as soon as i set Texture quality above medium (with pretty much any-other setting combination) it doesn't take long for vRam to hit 2GB and it all falls apart.

Permabanned
I'm running a 290 reference card and in Thief @ 1440 with all the goodies turned on Mantle maxes out the vram and I get really bad stuttering after a couple of minutes of play. Doesn't happen in DX.

I can't post attachments so you'll have to take my word for it - MSI afterburner memory usage info plainly shows Mantle behaving like a fat kid at a pie fair.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Any point upgrading from 13.12 to this? I don't have BF4.

Hello MrMarvelous,

It's totally up to you (please keep in mind it's a Beta driver). That being said, lots of gamers who have been playing BF4 have seen great performance gains; but since you're not playing the game, you could wait till next month when we release the WHQL driver.

I'm sure members here can provide you their thoughts/recommendations as well - there are a lot of experts here :D

Back
Top Bottom