• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

MSI Afterburner; Core clock overclock = underclock?

Associate
Running Afterburner and overclocking the core clock yields a declock on the card according to the Hardware monitor. Kombustor states the core clock has been overclocked but not only does the hardware monitor read something entirely different, the frame rate drops when overclocked!

I am running Ati 14.3 Beta; R9 290. I have also tried the Beta 19 version of afterburner with no luck. I have uninstalled CCC with no effect.

Strangely, smashing the core clock to say 1300mhz still causes a lock up, so it must be doing something? Memory overclock works perfectly and yields a decent result.

Am I missing something here?

Screenshots;

Stock; core clock in HW = 970mhz

Overclocked; core clock in HW = 910mhz

:confused:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've been playing around and it seems that the further I increase the core voltage, the lower the core clock speeds go. Even at stock settings, by adjusting the core to +100 results in the core clock speed going from 1000mhz to 950mhz running unigine in windowed mode. Yet I am able to run a core clock of 1130mhz without issue on stock voltage. Any ideas?

Soldato
There is a known bug with current AMD 14.x beta drivers. The powertune slider is ignored and actually adding votlage makes the card much slower.

For example my R9 290X will do 1220 core with ~156mV and +50% power limit using 13.12 WHQL. The exact same settings has my R9 290X core clock plummet to ~900MHz.

Try using 13.12 and please log an issue with AMD to report the problem.

AMD beta driver bug reporting.
http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D25AD12B3B

Mobster
Soldato
Dont use Kombustor...

Ok so AFAIK powerlimit wont work with post mantle drivers in MSIAB Beta. IIRC i did some testing a long time ago and it turns out GPU Tweak and MSI AB 2.3.1 Beta17 with VR controllers added to config will work. Try that.

Just try GPU Tweak and tell me how that turns out.

Caporegime
Dont use Kombustor...

Ok so AFAIK powerlimit wont work with post mantle drivers in MSIAB Beta. IIRC i did some testing a long time ago and it turns out GPU Tweak and MSI AB 2.3.1 Beta17 with VR controllers added to config will work. Try that.

Interesting. Will try it out later.

Caporegime
Dont use Kombustor...

IGNORE

Found it.

Soldato
I'm using Powercolor Powerup Tuner to control my R9 290X an 290 CX setup. It is the ONLY GPU overclocking tool that allows separate fan profiles for each GPU. Unfortunately it cannot control the voltage but I use stock anyway.

So if you would like separate fan profiles for each GPU and don't overclock or mess with voltage. Powerup Tuner is the answer.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used every GPU OC tool that is compatible with R9 290/X and the only fix is to resort to 13.12 drivers.

It's a driver bug and not a OC tool problem IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom