• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Athlon 5150 Kabini - cat, Jaguar or more fun?

Caporegime
Why wouldn't you compare it to the Intel Cele Baytrail? It's the competing chip :confused:

And there was nothing "Hail Intel" about my post, it was just fact ; AMD's IPC trumps Intel in the mobile area, and has done for a while. Intels always compensated with clocks.
You can't call people Intel disciples, say we're hardware enthusiasts, when you're closing the door on caring about how the product stands to competition. Those who don't, are in fact the unbiased, because we don't only care about one offering, we see the picture.

I'm talking about myself in the third person, i just don't believe everything has to revolve around Intel, sometimes we just need to talk about what strides forward AMD are making and leave Intel out of it.

Caporegime
I'm talking about myself in the third person, i just don't believe everything has to revolve around Intel, sometimes we just need to talk about what strides forward AMD are making and leave Intel out of it.

That's not an unbiased attitude though. That's a biased one.

Yes, you can give AMD their due for improvement, but you absolutely can't ignore the competition.
The world doesn't need to revolve around Intel, but they're certainly a part of it.

You're saying this chip is a major step forward, as you believe it has a decent amount higher IPC, and think AMD can just scale it up, and boom presto, we've got an FX83 killer.

But the reality is that it's not how you think it is. You've arrived to your conclusion on the SuperPi result.

If that was the reality? Kaveri wouldn't have been what it was CPU wise.

EDIT : It probably does have higher IPC than Piledriver though, as it'll probably be closer to a cut down Steamroller than anything.

Last edited:
Caporegime
That's not an unbiased attitude though. That's a biased one.

Yes, you can give AMD their due for improvement, but you absolutely can't ignore the competition.
The world doesn't need to revolve around Intel, but they're certainly a part of it.

You're saying this chip is a major step forward, as you believe it has a decent amount higher IPC, and think AMD can just scale it up, and boom presto, we've got an FX83 killer.

But the reality is that it's not how you think it is. You've arrived to your conclusion on the SuperPi result.

If that was the reality? Kaveri wouldn't have been what it was CPU wise.

EDIT : It probably does have higher IPC than Piledriver though, as it'll probably be closer to a cut down Steamroller than anything.

If the existing Intel vs AMD threads aren't already enough for you, if you want to make another one? go ahead, i have said what i wanted to say.

I have no interest in yet another Intel vs AMD carry on, i'm not going to be sucked into one.

I'm out.

Associate
OP
So, Im done with little baby Kabini and Asus AM1-I A. Great board and good small CPU :)

How is it stable? I got stable settings at 132 MHz BCLK!
The power consumption in load is only 5 W higher than with stock settings :). Lets go to OC stable results:

AIDA AES:
c6kEkdP.png

AIDA Memory-nice improvement
2puoJ9B.png

Cinebench R15
9LYaF21.png

Cinebench R11.5
j96Ldsj.png

Cinebench R10
ivZLMJI.png

Winrar, wow, over 2000 KB/s!
rCIyZ9T.png

3D Mark11 Performance test
Ro7i0Cb.png

And now some fun with benchmarks (not fully stable PC in OCCT)
PiFast
GFQBYPr.png

Wprime 1024M
hG6kiOO.png

Cinebench R15 at 2303 MHz!
ECn1lAo.png

Cinebench R11.5 at 2303 MHz
Aj5DHz3.png

Superpi 2303 MHz
rpG12g3.png

Max clock - 2367 MHz (with +1 Mhz BCLK I had issues with SATA/graphics outputs)
ScAOWpz.jpg

los

los

Associate
I was so close to going for the 5350, if I had of seen this review I may well have, but instead went for the G3220.
Very nice review though, its always good to see the results :)

tbh

tbh

Associate
I was so close to going for the 5350, if I had of seen this review I may well have, but instead went for the G3220.

Was looking at getting a G3220 for a build for my father, one of these might be a better fit though. Only problem is that he needs four SATA ports for his optical and hard drives and most AM 1 boards only have two.

Anyone know if the stock heatsink/fan is decently quiet? If it's a screamer then that would be a deal breaker...

Back
Top Bottom