• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Soldato
Stop making me jealous :3

Although my 4GB 290X's seem perfectly fine for now, do you see a benefit in the 8GB versions over the 4GB versions that higher resolutions?

Only in a couple of titles, Shadow of Mordor and Wolfenstein seem to really like the vram, can run both at Ultra / 1440P. It's def nicer than before.

Haven't tried Watchdogs yet, but I know that one likes a bit of vram as well. Massive download though, I will get it again at some point.

I only really bought the 290X 8GB because it was such a good deal and I tried somebody else's, comes with Custom cooler / backplate / twice the vram plus good warranty / free games etc. With future titles in mind likely to want more vram. Getting a bit extra performance in some current games is a bonus.

Last edited:
Associate
Only in a couple of titles, Shadow of Mordor and Wolfenstein seem to really like the vram, can run both at Ultra / 1440P. It's def nicer than before.

Haven't tried Watchdogs yet, but I know that one likes a bit of vram as well. Massive download though, I will get it again at some point.

I only really bought the 290X 8GB because it was such a good deal and I tried somebody else's, comes with Custom cooler / backplate / twice the vram plus good warranty / free games etc. With future titles in mind likely to want more vram. Getting a bit extra performance in some current games is a bonus.

The way I see it is that vram is more likely to be a limiting factor going forward than say the 5% - 10% extra performance a 4GB 980 gives.

I def won't buy any GPU that doesn't come with at least 8GB going forward. Which is good because it'll make me hold fire on new GPU's until they reach 8GB.. I wouldn't be able to resist Titan X 8GB or 390X 8GB :p

I'll probably go up to 8GB when the new AMD cards come out, don't think it's worth the upgrade at this point.

Soldato
Hello all.

Got an 8GB one. Huuuuuuggggeeee

UFVOui.jpg

Associate
Whoopsy. I've just ordered a 290X Vapor-X (peasant 4GB :p ) to Crossfire with my Windforce bought one year ago. My finger slipped multiple times and Mastercard let it happen.

I just wanted to share my excitemen... erm... news of this tragedy :D

Just praying my Corsair AX760i will be sufficient (with overclocked 4770K)?

Man of Honour
OP
Whoopsy. I've just ordered a 290X Vapor-X (peasant 4GB :p ) to Crossfire with my Windforce bought one year ago. My finger slipped multiple times and Mastercard let it happen.

I just wanted to share my excitemen... erm... news of this tragedy :D

Just praying my Corsair AX760i will be sufficient (with overclocked 4770K)?

Any news or benchmarks.:)

Associate
Yes, you've added my score already in the Firestrike Extreme thread. First thing I did once it was fitted!

I still feel guilty about a purchase that wasn't strictly necessary... but thankfully my satisfaction outweighs the guilt :)

Back
Top Bottom