• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***Intel i7 4790K Owners thread***

Caporegime
Asus were a bit high with vcore on early bios revisions, but the gigabyte ones seem to overvolt an awful lot higher. Iirc on ver 1504, vcore on my first 4790k was 1.264. 1505 lowered it a bit but cant recall what. Current one is 1.200 at default.

Soldato
It was a close call. I've got Aida64 set to shut down if a core goes above 100c, and it did.... Within a second of the stress test starting!

Haswell does love to stay one step ahead of your cooling!

It should throttle though anyway so I'm sure you would have been ok.

Mine's been in the wars a bit due to a combination of high volts and h60 problems but it seems fine.

Caporegime
1.35v would be my limit on air, maybe a bit more on watercooling. I currently run a quick n diirty 4.7 oc on 1.300. Need yo see if it will do it on less voltage. Think this chip could maybe do 4.9 on reasonable volts. But cooling is the problem unless I delid it.

Caporegime
4.8 1.28v, keep meaning to push for 5 but never seem to get around to it.
4.8ghz is overkill with one gpu mate tbh, heck it makes little difference with two. Yes in benchmarks you score a bit higher. But the voltage needed for 5ghz is crazy, ie dangerously high. Ive only seen one 4790k that runs 5ghz on a good voltage for 24/7 use. 1.32 from a guy on here, ive looked over many forum threads and never seen one this good. Forget watercooling, theese chips are so hot a £1000.00 custom watercooled setup isnt much better than a £25.00 air heatsink when you push them.

Soldato
4.8ghz is overkill with one gpu mate tbh, heck it makes little difference with two. Yes in benchmarks you score a bit higher. But the voltage needed for 5ghz is crazy, ie dangerously high. Ive only seen one 4790k that runs 5ghz on a good voltage for 24/7 use. 1.32 from a guy on here, ive looked over many forum threads and never seen one this good. Forget watercooling, theese chips are so hot a £1000.00 custom watercooled setup isnt much better than a £25.00 air heatsink when you push them.

Yeah I know but i'm a tinkerer and i'd like to put some benchmark scores in as well. I'm more than happy with the 24/7 overclock I have :)

Associate
Nice one, how much do you lose each time you trade one in? I assume ya just selling them on auction site or some thing.

Im guessing the ones that clock quite high sell for a fair bit more than the price you pay for it new.

I do it for fun don't drink don't smoke so I lose a bit not a lot I put them into PC builds that I do for people.

The best one I sold to a gentleman on here for £250 plus postage so I even made a small loss on that one, if I could have done it cheaper I would have the buy is in Germany serving our country and I have massive respect for our boys and girls who without hesitation would lay their lives down, I would have loved to be able to give it to him I feel that strongly about our people.

Associate
Two stress test at the same time after running 3D Mark 2011. Temps could be a little bit better. Need to buy a decent Thermal Paste...

The voltage is now in a safe zone! :D

Back
Top Bottom