• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
FC4 is screwed anyway, this is not your GPU, it has far too many faults for it to be the GPU, this game is very similar to the 1st GRAW.

FC3 is way better but still suffers slightly, but nothing like as bad as when my rig was Overclocked too far.

Caporegime
reinstalled tomb raider and ran it maxed out with 970 sli at 2560x1440 and whilst it did not stutter in any way i used afterburner to check ram and fps.

from the off the game flew along at 120 fps and 3.5 gb ram use with a few dips to 80 odd but after about 30 min i noticed strange dips as low as 50 fps.

does this seem right or does that look like its exceeding the 3.5gb

No, that doesn't sound right, unless you was in a massively demanding area. I love Tomb Raider and will run it tonight on a pair of Titans to see if I get the same tonight?

Caporegime
Actually, you are spot on here. Cars were advertised as doing "X" amount of mpg and nobody at all could get that but they do it on a test track that is geared to give the best and frankly unrealistic returns on fuel usage.

Not overly clued up on the outcome but didn't they get wrapped for it and told to change their advertising methods?

I think now they have to state that it was under certain conditions. Its the same with broadband speeds. Take my case on bt adsl. They state upto 8mb, which I've never seen go over 5mb. But its within the 8mb they state so all is well as far as they're concerned.

OcUK Staff
HI there

We have EVGA with us today and they are first to provide an update on the GTX970.

If you still feel you have to return your EVGA GTX970 then EVGA will 100% support any return of your product through OCUK.

EVGA do however encourage you to contact them directly before returning your card, as options to step up to GTX980 will be made available but only those in direct contact.

Please contact [email protected] if you have any concerns with your EVGA GTX970 product.

Last edited:
Associate
I totaly agree with this, it is amazing that turning down the setting would kinda fix this but once again the problem remains that you're not getting what you paid for.

If i bought a car that was advertised "to do 70mpg" and when i started using it i found that as soon as i got up to speed say (50mph) and went into 5th gear (for example) the car suddenly went down to 30mpg.

Manufacturer has now said recently that the car is capable of doing up to 70mpg and that if you want to get 70mpg you have to stay in 4th under 50mph.

You see my point, if you buy a card(which i have) which was said to do this, that and the other but it doesnt, unless i turn down settings; you are NOT getting what YOU paid for.

This is exactly my point and why I would prefer to return my 970's. I absolutely hate being lied to. Not one description for any of the 970's on ocUK state that there is a performance drop when you make use of more than 3.5gb of vram. I'm just waiting to hear if I can return my cards for an exchange.

Soldato
Just want to add im not having a go at Mal X! I've been reading around a few forums on this matter and a lot of people have said about turning down the settings.

And i think most people think like me that they shouldn't have to.

Mate, I have three titans and have to turn down settings in most of the games that are being thrown around as a problem for the 970 :D
I'm not entirely happy about that either, but looking at what other people get on similar and Amd hardware it looks more to be the games at blame

There is nothing else worth me buying, so i stick with what I have until something better comes along

For people with 970sli, they could switch to a single 980 but that wouldnt get them very far as the drop off in gpu grunt would be pretty big, or you can risk AMD but for a lot of people that isnt really a choice either

Last edited:
Soldato
HI there

We have EVGA with us today and they are first to provide an update on the GTX970.

If you still feel you have to return your EVGA GTX970 then EVGA will 100% support any return of your product through OCUK.

EVGA do however encourage you to contact them directly before returning your card, as options to step up to GTX980 will be made available but only those in direct contact.

Please contact [email protected] if you have any concerns with your EVGA GTX970 product.

Wish I'd gone with EVGA rather than Gigabyte now like I was originally planning. Top service!

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
HI there

What about others like ASUS Gibbo?

Associate
Amazing how people's opinions vary so much. I'm waiting without losing my rag to see what the outcome is and bashing the 970 isn't going to help me at all. Just like a viable solution.

+2. Nicely put.

its hard on occasion not getting drawn in (not to the insults or the oneupmanship if you own AMD), but to the heavily fuelled concern that my new card based on new tech doesn't have the longevity I was told it would...

What's on my mind is, would this be anywhere near an issue if these latest games weren't tanking the VRAM, which seems a relatively new trend over the last 6 months or so, meaning the 970 would be out of its depth for some games at levels anyway even if it's full 4gb was "normal"?

It feels that is quite a quick time for a card not to be able to keep up with games. To my mind a £300 GPU that's mid-high range should be able to hold its own for over a year minimum. My 5850's at half the price were great for ages! That said, that's not the manufacturers fault, that is a sigh of the times/tech. And there's been enough complaint that games haven't moved on enough over the last few years.

I haven't got onto FC4 yet, but my 970 purchase was primarily was lining myself up for The Witcher 3 which I hope will be occupying my gaming like Skyrim ended up doing... ideally at 1440p and SLI if needed.

I just want a solution, and ideally one that doesn;t mean sending cards back, refunds etc.... which lets face it, as "exciting" as all this furore and scandal is.... could end up being and ache.

Last edited:
Associate
HI there

That's at least a result for evga users! Nice one ... No for the rest :p

Mei

Mei

Soldato
reinstalled tomb raider and ran it maxed out with 970 sli at 2560x1440 and whilst it did not stutter in any way i used afterburner to check ram and fps.

from the off the game flew along at 120 fps and 3.5 gb ram use with a few dips to 80 odd but after about 30 min i noticed strange dips as low as 50 fps.

could be explained by it gradually using more of the extra vram
but doesnt mean it is that :)
and ive still not completed that game!! so many games i never finish :(

Soldato
Just want to add im not having a go at Mal X! I've been reading around a few forums on this matter and a lot of people have said about turning down the settings.

And i think most people think like me that they shouldn't have to.

yes, but you're only turning down settings like Anisotropic filtering and Super Sampling........... you deffo dont turn down the textures or the sharpness settings... you know what i mean

Last edited:
Associate
HI there

Good news. Lets hope MSI do the same :)

Quick question - Im assuming that if consumers decide to go direct to manufacturer for "upgrade replacements" the warrant is transferred to them and removed from OCUK?

Soldato

Shouldn't run out at 1440p. Unless you have SSAA on as well... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom