• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

R9 290X Owners Thread

Caporegime
You certainly have a big problem, as Tomb Raider is pretty much one of the bestest and smoothest games going and runs well on pretty much all hardware, so if that isn't smooth, there is something up big time.

The problem being though is frames are not showing what we can all see, so it is hard to pin down what the issue is. I would start by running MSI AB and seeing what is happening with the GPU and if it is bouncing up and down on the GPU usage/GPU core clock. Possibly try an older driver, or even beg a friend/family member to test the GPU in their machine. It could just be a case of something has been damaged on the GPU and hence the problems you are getting.

Associate
My Gigabyte 290x "BF4 Edition" reinstalled after returning my 970sli and upgraded with a nice HG10 / H75 cooler.

oOrEuEw.jpg

Cabling needs tidying up, but tbh I was more interested in firing it up and seeing the difference in temps and I'm looking at getting a new case soon anyway.

With the new cooling its now idling ~28c down from ~50c and getting to between 50 and 60c at load down from 95c plus, which is nice. Doesn't seem to be as noisy either, not that it bothered me much before the change of cooler.

Man of Honour
You certainly have a big problem, as Tomb Raider is pretty much one of the bestest and smoothest games going and runs well on pretty much all hardware, so if that isn't smooth, there is something up big time.

The problem being though is frames are not showing what we can all see, so it is hard to pin down what the issue is. I would start by running MSI AB and seeing what is happening with the GPU and if it is bouncing up and down on the GPU usage/GPU core clock. Possibly try an older driver, or even beg a friend/family member to test the GPU in their machine. It could just be a case of something has been damaged on the GPU and hence the problems you are getting.
I'd happily try his GPUs in my case. :) But it may be an issue due to the water cooling. Certainly worth a try.

Associate
To be fair, Titanfall plays like crap on my PC unless I turn the AA down.

That's much better.
Still stuttered a bit at times though.

I'm tempted to try watercooling but I hadn't really planned on keeping these cards much past the summer. Would be a lot of outlay when I could just get a single card and postpone the new monitor for a few months.

Soldato
My Gigabyte 290x "BF4 Edition" reinstalled after returning my 970sli and upgraded with a nice HG10 / H75 cooler.

oOrEuEw.jpg

Cabling needs tidying up, but tbh I was more interested in firing it up and seeing the difference in temps and I'm looking at getting a new case soon anyway.

With the new cooling its now idling ~28c down from ~50c and getting to between 50 and 60c at load down from 95c plus, which is nice. Doesn't seem to be as noisy either, not that it bothered me much before the change of cooler.

Looks clean to me! That's exactly what I want to do with my 290x, add the watercooling! Just need to spend the money I guess! I like a quiet pc and the gpu certainly seems the most noisy thing in there. It isn't that loud, but I want to give the HG10 a go!

Did you find it easy to install?

Man of Honour
Don't watercool the cards now if you plan on changing them in the summer.

TBH, if you're changing in the summer, just keep the 970's, but a bit late for that I guess.

I've been mentioning to AMDMatt that Titanfall doesn't play well on 290X's without AA turned down.

Associate
At least these cards will save me some money.
All the big games will be reduced by the time AMD sort the drivers out for them ;)

Really have no idea what to do now.
Will probably get leathered over the weekend and throw more money away on some hair brained idea to fix this.

Soldato
All the big games will be reduced by the time AMD sort the drivers out for them ;)

Will probably get leathered over the weekend and throw more money away on some hair brained idea to fix this.

Can you do me a favour and run the tomb raider benchmark in 1080p at max settings?

Man of Honour

I can give you a hand next week.

Associate
Did you find it easy to install?

It wasn't that difficult to install at all, hardest part was fitting the H75 comfortably into the case with my H100 installed as well, in the end I had to move the 290x into the middle PCIe slot instead of the preferred top one and install the radiator in the front of the case. Part of the reason why I'm thinking of a new case atm, that and I've had this for 5 or so years now and feel like a change ;).

Two points I did notice whilst installing - the thermal pads / material already on the HG10 have plastic covers over them, so you need remove all of them before you fit it to the card and I had to route the wire from my original reference cooler fan differently to how the diagram showed because it was catching the caps on the card and wouldn't let the HG10 sit right against the VRMs without starting to bend the card.

Can totally understand why ppl will recommend not doing this but the original reference 290x were very hot, and I'd hate to kill the card before I'm ready to upgrade again. I understand the newer ones are a lot cooler.

Back
Top Bottom