• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 295X2 Owners Thread

Soldato
My GPU clock speeds are also fluctuating in GTA 5, though on 290X Crossfire rather than 295x2. Mainly at night time for some reason.

I've decided to just switch off the overlay and enjoy the game.

Caporegime
My GPU clock speeds are also fluctuating in GTA 5, though on 290X Crossfire rather than 295x2. Mainly at night time for some reason.

I've decided to just switch off the overlay and enjoy the game.

I've found a bug whereby if you get close to the video memory limit it causes gpu downclocking. Back off the AA a little and restart the game. I find at 4K as soon as i enable x8 AA, clocks drop. If i use x4 AA, no problems.

Man of Honour
I've found a bug whereby if you get close to the video memory limit it causes gpu downclocking. Back off the AA a little and restart the game. I find at 4K as soon as i enable x8 AA, clocks drop. If i use x4 AA, no problems.

That might explain the problems we have been seeing with vram 'overheating' and causing the downclocks.

Associate
http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/83/grand-theft-auto-benchmarked-1080p-1440p-4k/index.html

Very interesting benchmark, the 295x2 not looking that good against AMDs single card solutions and Nvidias cards. The minimums suffering the most. Looks to me like GTAV needs better crossfire drivers, just a shame it always takes so long for this to happen with AMD.

Well those results don't show NVidia as any better with SLI performance. At 4K they have a single 970 with higher averages than 980 SLI, Titan Black SLI being beaten by a single 290x and going from a single Titan X to a pair in SLI gaining a whole 2 FPS, not exactly brilliant scaling...

Caporegime
http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/83/grand-theft-auto-benchmarked-1080p-1440p-4k/index.html

Very interesting benchmark, the 295x2 not looking that good against AMDs single card solutions and Nvidias cards. The minimums suffering the most. Looks to me like GTAV needs better crossfire drivers, just a shame it always takes so long for this to happen with AMD.

Don't pay any attention to that, the benchmark is an unrealistic representation of actual gameplay.

Caporegime
Don't pay any attention to that, the benchmark is an unrealistic representation of actual gameplay.

Can you explain why? are you saying that the testing method is flawed? the reviewer is lying?

The minimum frame-rate can be 1 frame out of millions but it doesn't change the fact that according to these results AMD cards in Crossfire have much bigger dips which will appear as stutter.

Soldato
Can you explain why? are you saying that the testing method is flawed? the reviewer is lying?

The minimum frame-rate can be 1 frame out of millions but it doesn't change the fact that according to these results AMD cards in Crossfire have much bigger dips which will appear as stutter.

I don't think GTAV's benchmark is very reliable. On Totalbiscuits port report video he ran the bench with single and SLI 980's and the results were odd with SLI dropping below single card at some points. I just don't think you can trust the benchmark really.

Caporegime
It wasn't quieter, I got them because I was having cooling issues with the stock fans and thought push pull would help.

SP120's were a bit louder I think, but I ran it with a 290x reference so that drowned out all other sounds anyway.

Caporegime
It wasn't quieter, I got them because I was having cooling issues with the stock fans and thought push pull would help.

SP120's were a bit louder I think, but I ran it with a 290x reference so that drowned out all other sounds anyway.

Fair enough.

Did they improve the cooling over stock much?

Wondering this myself. With the card undervolted and the rad out of the case I'm not seeing higher than 65-67c with gpu's under constant 100% load, wondering if it's worth getting the SP's though.

Did you know if they were running at full speed and if so, at what temps was full speed running?

Back
Top Bottom