• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Driver Has Stopped Responding - Nvidia Driver Crashes

Soldato
Put on the 353.06 drivers today, while browsing another forum (opera)"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.".
Never had any issues before, I should have listened to other peoples problems and I knew I should have kept on with my old belief of staying on month old drivers unless something doesn't work :p
It was the gsync in window mode that made me jump :(

I also updated msi afterburner today as well, maybe I should not have so close together.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Just posting my findings so far;

I was getting Tdr's on the newer 352.86 + drivers when in games/browsing or just on the desktop after just a few minutes.

So I went back to 347.xx and the problems disappeared. I do run AB so when I saw the poling 'fix' I thought I would give it a go.

So I'm now running the latest hotfix drivers (353.12) and changed the poling in AB to 5000. I then manged to browse on chrome with hardware acceleration enabled for 30 mins without incident and also managed a couple of hours on the witcher 3.

So hopefully I haven't jinxed it now, but so far so good!

I will update if there's any change!

Soldato
Another positive

On this end, computer has been on since 4pm, still no driver has stopped responding in chrome/games when fixing the polling rate :)

Been fine today and PC was left on whilst at work (no chrome windows open), watched some streams and played a bit of CSGO without issue since upping the hardware polling to 5000.

As I have read in the thread definitely looks to be related

Soldato
Changing the polling rate has been a 100% success for me. Before doing that the last 2 drivers have been unusable would crash in 5 mins.
Ty Neil :)

Associate
The last 2 driver releases from NV have been doing this to me... I've rolled back to

and all is working fine.
Yep exactly same here, only last 2 drivers have this issue. 350.12 works perfectly fine. I really want the new features for nvidia control panel g-sync/ulmb being application controlled, unfortunately that will have to wait untill NVIDIA sorts this out. I am confident they will though.

Caporegime
OP
Gregster also had issues after installing AB. Seems it's probably the route of a lot of the crashing for people. Such a small fix for a hugely widespread problem.

Unwinder wont like the sound of that ;)

Nobody besides NV should look into driver related issues. Neither me in AB, nor w1zzard in GPU-Z, ASUS in GPU tweak, Gigabyte in OC Guru or EVGA in Precision (and each of tools is reported to be affected) use anything but NVIDIA's own official NVAPI to display graphics card state in realtime. And NVAPI is build special to provide graphics card state reporting to vendor specific software.

The only thing you achieve by increasing polling rate in AB and similar tools from 1000ms to 6000ms is reducing the amount of access to NVIDIA driver via NVAPI with 6x factor. The amount of NVAPI calls during 10 minutes of testing with 1000ms polling period is equal to 1 hour of testing with 6000ms polling. If there is a problem randomly occurring in driver once per let's say 10000 NVAPI calls and you needed roughly 3 hours to reproduce it with 1000ms polling rate, then you'll need roughly 18 hours with 6000ms period to have comparable chances to reproduce it. It is not a fix by any means, it is a placebo that makes the problem harder to reproduce. If those who follow the guide of "fixing" it via altering polling rate don't get it - that's not my problem.

Talking of Unwinder.....

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like he's getting a bit defensive. Nobody is asking him to fix it. There is obviously something in the recent build that is interfering with the polling when at it's default. I was a little surprised when they hadn't thought to install the utilities on their test beds.

Unless people are actually on his back I would have just kept quiet and recommended people inform NVIDIA of the problem. Instead, he makes MSI look bad by being in any kind of working relationship with them, because he's socially backward.

Caporegime
OP
Sounds like he's getting a bit defensive. Nobody is asking him to fix it. There is obviously something in the recent build that is interfering with the polling when at it's default. I was a little surprised when they hadn't thought to install the utilities on their test beds.

Unless people are actually on his back I would have just kept quiet and recommended people inform NVIDIA of the problem. Instead, he makes MSI look bad by being in any kind of working relationship with them, because he's socially backward.

Very true, but this has been going on for YEARS, there hasn't been a single time he's turned around and said hey, thanks for informing me, I will look into it (Whatever issue). The user is always met with such anger and hatred that most people are now too afraid to say anything due to his Moderator status.

Instead of barking that it's not his problem, it IS infact his problem as whatever is going on is very much related to Nvidia and polling rates such as with MSI Afterburner.

Yes others have had crashes without MSI but that might not be related

Soldato
There are plenty of reasons a TDR event can occur, and what you get with wide spread issues like this, is if enough people report it then you'll get Joe Blogs, who has been having issues with their system for months chime in - saying "yeah I'm getting this too!"

And it'll be completely unrelated...That, and people don't listen or know how to troubleshoot in such a way that they can solve the issue, or know what was causing it. Not that I am sticking up for Unwinder, he really does need to learn how to talk to people.

Nobody likes troubleshooting at a consumer level for disgruntled people who don't really understand software and complexity of drivers at a fundamental level, it's one of the most difficult types of programming one can undertake. That's not an excuse to talk down to people who are using your software.

Caporegime
Gregster also had issues after installing AB. Seems it's probably the route of a lot of the crashing for people. Such a small fix for a hugely widespread problem.

Been playing TW3 without AB and no problem at all. First crash in the game was yesterday with AB running (including overlay), so I imagine that is the culprit but would need more testing to be sure.

Associate
No issues with AB, as I was crashing without any overlay of Steam or AB. However, setting the phsx to CPU seems to have solved the issue. I have also not installed NV GeForce Experience, or Nvidia stream, etc.
I had tried all other fixes, but so far, on a limited testing basis, this CPU physx seemed to have worked.
Uwinder is not wrong about the "message" as it is Nvidia's driver issue, however his "delivery" of the message can be less blunt...lol

My set up at this time is 4 way Titan sli.. Haven't tested on Ti yet.

Back
Top Bottom