• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**AMD Fiji Thread**

Associate
I know where the ram sits, but maybe the size of the chip restricted the space they had to work with. Just a thought. :o

They could have make a larger interposer, but it is a very very complicated process...a few pages back..or maybe in the old topic a linked an article about how they are made. Usually as GPU manufacturing goes, the chips are done a good half year before the release, so i think the chips together with the interposers sit for a a few months now waiting to be released.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

What I will say is the Fury is one of the best looking cards ever, in my PC at home it looks pretty awesome with the red Radeon logo and the rev counter LEDs which can be set to be red or blue. Pretty cool!

Also happy to report absolute zero coil whine and pretty much zero noise, never seen it go above 40c under load. :)

Performance I can't hint to simply as that would land me into trouble but it's faster than my 290X which was clocked at 1100/6000. :)

Associate
one thing is getting me worried about the Fiji GPU, is power consumption, they said it was 1.5x more efficient than Hawaii which is nice, but then they drop at you something weird, they say the card TBP is 275watt, you read correctly TBP not TDP, so what is exactly the Typical Board Power, obviously this means it can go higher, but how high, will we end up with a 400watt power draw ? i really hope it doesnt, i often find AMD pretty straight forward with their announcements, with a lot less word play and deceit, hope this doesnt change .

OcUK Staff
one thing is getting me worried about the Fiji GPU, is power consumption, they said it was 1.5x more efficient than Hawaii which is nice, but then they drop at you something weird, they say the card TBP is 275watt, you read correctly TBP not TDP, so what is exactly the Typical Board Power, obviously this means it can go higher, but how high, will we end up with a 400watt power draw ? i really hope it doesnt, i often find AMD pretty straight forward with their announcements, with a lot less word play and deceit, hope this doesnt change .

A stock it's quite power efficient and if you use the FPS target then power rarely exceeds 200W.

Soldato
Hi there

What I will say is the Fury is one of the best looking cards ever, in my PC at home it looks pretty awesome with the red Radeon logo and the rev counter LEDs which can be set to be red or blue. Pretty cool!

Also happy to report absolute zero coil whine and pretty much zero noise, never seen it go above 40c under load. :)

Performance I can't hint to simply as that would land me into trouble but it's faster than my 290X which was clocked at 1100/6000. :)

Can you confirm what time on Wednesday you'll be going live and if you'll have cards ready to ship the same day?

Associate
Fijis size is nothing to do with it...the HBM sits on the interposer not on the chip

it absolutely does, AMD is limited by technology, die can't go bigger, neither is the interposer, all comes down to the fact that there isnt enough space to put more memory, without die shrink, am guessing we wont see FIJI rebrands with 8Go :D

Caporegime
Hi there

Would there be any issue in reversing the fan round to serve as a pull fan? Only asking as i've noticed it has a ring around the fan blades and its hard to tell from pics if this is slightly higher than the frame of the fan, if so then mounting it as a pull fan would be hard.

Soldato
[/B]
Wonder if that's why its restricted to 4 gigs this time around?

re: the quote you posted, Fiji is 596mm2, so the max must be 600. I thought it was more like 650 as that was the number bandied about during TX hype. They are both made at TSMC although Fiji may be on a different process (high perf mobile).

Associate
Hi there

Well it better be faster than 290X :eek: As for coil whine, there aren't many coils to whine from what we've seen. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi there

Do you not find it annoying though that the sexy dotted plate is on the UNDERSIDE of the card where you can't even see it? I am assuming the final version of the card that customers get will look the same as the ones linked earlier... i.e plain matt black with the barcode, serial number etc. stickers? Not something I really want to be looking down at through my case window if I'm honest. :(

Soldato
Do you not find it annoying though that the sexy dotted plate is on the UNDERSIDE of the card where you can't even see it? I am assuming the final version of the card that customers get will look the same as the ones linked earlier... i.e plain matt black with the barcode, serial number etc. stickers? Not something I really want to be looking down at through my case window if I'm honest. :(

I know it's all subjective but how often do you look down at your PC case? Mine sits under my table and only gets a cursory glance when I power the thing on. Obviously yours is on a floor (or close to it), or you would not have said "look down at".

Just feels a bit nit picky to be honest.

Soldato
We haven't seen AIB plates yet.

Apparently you can make your own too.

But this is a strange thing to complain about as this has always been the case with graphics cards. There are cases you can buy to display them better.

Soldato
Is there a reason why GFX cards are that way? Surely it would make more sense to turn it over so the hot air escapes out the top with the exhaust that most people have?

I read it was due to the old ISA cards once PCI started becoming standard place they had to add slots for them between the ISAs. To get them to fit the same slots at the back GPUs were built upside down so they didn't interfere with the other cards.

Just left over since that. No idea how true it is.

Soldato
I know it's all subjective but how often do you look down at your PC case? Mine sits under my table and only gets a cursory glance when I power the thing on. Obviously yours is on a floor (or close to it), or you would not have said "look down at".

Just feels a bit nit picky to be honest.
Yes mine is on the floor, and it's in my line of sight, so I do see it often. I'm aware all GPU's in most cases face this way, but people go on about backplates all the time, and this is no different. I just find it odd AMD have gone to the trouble of making a cool looking plate on the reverse side that we'll never see... and on top of that allowing people to custom design and 3D print their own, again which they'll never see. This isn't nit-picking, it's pointing out an utterly ridiculous design decision.

Back
Top Bottom