• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**AMD Fiji Thread**

Soldato
I would be very surprised if stock becomes available after 2 weeks, with the popularity these will have I fully expect massive price increases due to tiny stock allocation, with week upon week, maybe leading to months before retailers list them as in stock rather than pre-order. Even worse than the 980ti or the TitanX have been.

Let's face it, the card is looking like it'll be a little faster than a stock ti, but not 30pc faster or anything. If stock is so short people will just buy the ti.

Caporegime
Let's face it, the card is looking like it'll be a little faster than a stock ti, but not 30pc faster or anything. If stock is so short people will just buy the ti.

I think overclocking will come into it somewhat for enthusiasts. If the FuryX overclocks as equally well as the Ti then all is well :)

nVidia cards of late have been overclocking monsters though!!

Soldato
I predict a huge wait after the initial batch has gone quickly. I'm trying to not get too excited, and even as an impulse buyer I'm frankly contemplating shoving the huge early adopter tax. Especially given it's simply because they can't make enough of these things. If I can't bag two it's not worth looking yet.

as per apples launches, AmD probably have half a million cards lying a warehouse in Essex ready to drop two weeks after release.

Soldato
I wonder if the true GTX980TI competitor is the Fury and not the Fury X??

Fiji and the GM210 are large GPUs and it wouldn't surprise me if the Fury and GTX980TI exist more down to the fact,there is a greater supply of salvage parts in the first place??

Soldato
I wonder if the true GTX980TI competitor is the Fury and not the Fury X??

Fiji and the GM210 are large GPUs and it wouldn't surprise me if the Fury and GTX980TI exist more down to the fact,there is a greater supply of salvage parts in the first place??

Without knowing yields it's hard to say.

The Ti was a shock coming so soon with the TX seemingly having supply problems. But they hardly changed it from the full config, suggesting yields are actually pretty good and the launch was merely semi-paper to get out in front. Of course you can also say they knew Fiji would require a very competitive high-end and they are eating yields.

I am hoping some early Fiji stock won't be lasered and can be unlocked a la 290 pro. :D

Caporegime
Pre-ordering one on Wednesday as well, no way i am paying a ton over the odds to have it a bit sooner. Probably end up crossfiring it later in the year. :) Just hope the partner cards don't have gaudy stickers on the card and they just rebadge the fan. Funny thing is normally the amd logo is still under their sticker. :p

OcUK Staff
I think overclocking will come into it somewhat for enthusiasts. If the FuryX overclocks as equally well as the Ti then all is well :)

nVidia cards of late have been overclocking monsters though!!

Maxwell is an overclocking beast both on core and memory.

Fury you can't clock the memory full stop and on stock voltage Fury does not clock well at all.

So it will all depend on how much more headroom Fury gets from some extra voltage but right now voltage is locked.

For example a stock Ti which AMD compare against is 1000/1075/7010 clocks. Your extremely unlucky if your Ti can't run stable at say 1200/1400/7600 which gives a drastic performance boost.

Example the fastest card on the market right now is the 980Ti G1 by Gigabyte, it's a Titan killer as my one out of the box boost at 1377MHz OUT THE BOX! It can run stable at 1300/1500/8400 and the performance is absolutely insane.

I foresee G1 will be the fastest single GPU card on the market until end of year and this is simply because Maxwell is an overclocking king.

Only cards I can see beating that this year are also Maxwell such as KingPin, HOF etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fury you can't clock the memory full stop and on stock voltage Fury does not clock well at all.

So it will all depend on how much more headroom Fury gets from some extra voltage but right now voltage is locked.
So what was all that nonsense at the big reveal presentation about it being an "overclockers dream"? Lies?

OcUK Staff
So what was all that nonsense at the big reveal presentation about it being an "overclockers dream"? Lies?

Well my card is not what I'd class as an overclockers dream, locked memory, no voltage control, maybe only in my dreams.

Early days though yet, +100mv could make a vast improvement, but the card is so new so the current software available can only alter core clock.

Soldato
Well my card is not what I'd class as an overclockers dream, locked memory, no voltage control, maybe only in my dreams.

Early days though yet, +100mv could make a vast improvement, but the card is so new so the current software available can only alter core clock.

Amd at there conference said voltage control and overclocking was a part of Fury x. Is it a case that software is not up to scratch at the moment.

OcUK Staff
Amd at there conference said voltage control and overclocking was a part of Fury x. Is it a case that software is not up to scratch at the moment.

Right now there is no voltage ability. Overdrive only gives you power target (+50%), temp target, fan speed and core overclock percentage.

MSI afterburner can see the card but only allows the same adjustments as overdrive, memory and voltage greyed out.

Back
Top Bottom