• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Fury(X) Fiji Owners Thread

Soldato
Soldato
Good job Greg. More investigating is required, as the FX looks much better than the TX which looks washed out in comparison.

How about just taking screen shots standing in identical places? Would be quicker also.

Maybe boom and kaps should try it out also, maybe something Greg is doing without realising is causing the difference in quality.

It would be good if this could be checked. But if people are going to do it, motion blur needs to be disabled. Maybe people could test at the same first corner Greg turns in his video.

Caporegime
Will be good to see some more games IQ tested between the two cards, if there really is a noticeable difference on multiple games the story will probably blow up and be checked out by some review sites. Ones that aren't scared of nVidia pulling the plug on them.

Soldato
Can't ask more for a thread where enthusiasts actually own both the Fury X AND a Titan X for comparison. Eseentially a 'live' reveiw where ideas and issues are discussed and trialled. I'm more informed from this thread than all the commercial reviews put together. Awesome.

Soldato
Would be good if it does. Things like this need checking and highlighting every now and then. Since one company or the other may try reducing IQ gradually to show better performance since Review sites tend to only check FPS. Its the same as review sites checking frame times now. They should start reviewing IQ again with each card release.

Associate
Well i have to say i'm not a sharp eyed one, who picks on everything, but in the last BF video the difference is clearly standing out in IQ on the Furys favor.

At the start blurred road and lines on the road on TX
Desktop_2015_07_02_09_34_12_473_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Curb and road looks washed/blurred on TX
Desktop_2015_07_02_09_35_04_173_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Again road surface and signs on the road are crappy looking
Desktop_2015_07_02_09_35_20_477_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Line on the road seems to wash away a few meters from viewpoint while on FX it runs to the distance
Desktop_2015_07_02_09_36_06_108_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Building in the back are much sharper on FX although it is further back viewpoint
Desktop_2015_07_02_09_36_27_980_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Blue roadsign is sharp on the FX a blurred mess on TX
Desktop_2015_07_02_09_37_04_063_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

I do not play BF so i'm not a pro, but those caught my eye in the video.

Thanks for the effort Gregster, those are great comparisons.

Soldato
Well i have to say i'm not a sharp eyed one, who picks on everything, but in the last BF video the difference is clearly standing out in IQ on the Furys favor.

The line that runs along the side of the road also starts to blur after a metre or two on the TX. while it is sharp and defined into the distance on the FX

Associate
Good job Greg. More investigating is required, as the FX looks much better than the TX which looks washed out in comparison.

How about just taking screen shots standing in identical places? Would be quicker also.

Maybe boom and kaps should try it out also, maybe something Greg is doing without realising is causing the difference in quality.

Just because one is brighter does not mean the other is washed out. Brighter isn't always better, and i personally don't see how you can judge image quality by watching a few low res videos and looking at equally low res and also blown up stills taken from a low res video.

I said before you need to render the exact same images and run the scenes exactly the same with both cards at default. Then you need to find someone who knows what they are doing to analyze them.

I am in no way claiming to be an expert but it is obvious to me that the material being used here is in no way good enough to judge image quality. Just my honest opinion and no offence meant to anyone, i have been a long time reader of this site and have had many lol moments during that time and hope they continue. :)

Soldato
Just because one is brighter does not mean the other is washed out. Brighter isn't always better, and i personally don't see how you can judge image quality by watching a few low res videos and looking at equally low res and also blown up stills taken from a low res video.

I said before you need to render the exact same images and run the scenes exactly the same with both cards at default. Then you need to find someone who knows what they are doing to analyze them.

I am in no way claiming to be an expert but it is obvious to me that the material being used here is in no way good enough to judge image quality. Just my honest opinion and no offence meant to anyone, i have been a long time reader of this site and have had many lol moments during that time and hope they continue. :)

You need someone who knows what they're doing to analyse them?

Soldato

He used the same recording equipment and quality for both videos. If the source being recorded was displaying the same information then the videos should look identical. Which they do not. There are clear visual differences in quality between the two. Even from the start where Greg is not moving and video quality is at its best.

The easiest to spot being the lines in the road being blurred and undefined on the TX. while being sharp and clear into the distance on the FX.

I found a little snippet from last year. Someone comparing the IQ of the GTX285 to the GTX770. http://www.bsimracing.com/nvidia-image-quality-lower-on-newer-cards/ So maybe it is not something new after all. Just that no one has done this kind of comparison in a while to point it out.

Last edited:
Caporegime

At the start blurred road and lines on the road on TX
Desktop_2015_07_02_09_34_12_473_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Again road surface and signs on the road are crappy looking
Desktop_2015_07_02_09_35_20_477_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Line on the road seems to wash away a few meters from viewpoint while on FX it runs to the distance
Desktop_2015_07_02_09_36_06_108_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Building in the back are much sharper on FX although it is further back viewpoint
Desktop_2015_07_02_09_36_27_980_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

Blue roadsign is sharp on the FX a blurred mess on TX
Desktop_2015_07_02_09_37_04_063_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

I do not play BF so i'm not a pro, but those caught my eye in the video.

Thanks for the effort Gregster, those are great comparisons.

It's just a difference in gamma from what I can see, Fury X colour levels are darker giving the impression of higher contrast, it's probably an issue with how the images are being captured unless AMD are using gamma tweaks like MS do on Xbox to make contrast appear higher (Google Xbox black crush). In essence, you get less of a gradiant in grey colours because they just get crushed into being black. However, my guess would be that this is not what is happening and it's just a capture issue.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well debate that vid as much as you like, but having watched it with less tired eyes, they both looked good to me.

On a very very enjoyable note, I now have 120Hz at 1440P working wooot :D

Associate
He used the same recording equipment and quality for both videos. If the source being recorded was displaying the same information then the videos should look identical. Which they do not. There are clear visual differences in quality between the two. Even from the start where Greg is not moving and video quality is at its best.

The easiest to spot being the lines in the road being blurred and undefined on the TX. while being sharp and clear into the distance on the FX.

You are missing the point though. They are not the exact same scene being run on each card, they are as near as he could possibly get using the same scene in whatever game it was, which can change how things look greatly. You can see in the still that the character is not in the same place so it's therefore not the same image and you can't make any comparison only a preference (like with everything) to which you prefer. Hope that makes sense. :)

Back
Top Bottom