• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Soldato
Hardly any gain in game. I wonder why so many people bother overclocking the memory when there is so little gains unless benchmarking.

Yeah, it depends what you are doing, the synthetics benchmarks seem to show good gains by overclocking memory, but games seem to be more core oriented

Basically it seems best for gaming to go for your best core OC first and then try increasing the memory a bit if you still can

Soldato
do you guys think manufacturers will stop making reference cards after a while like with the previous ones

Yes and no. The initial reference boards are made by nvidia themselves, but for example MSI now have a "reference" type card but their own reference pattern pcb and a blower fan but not the nvidia one.

Associate
Yeah, it depends what you are doing, the synthetics benchmarks seem to show good gains by overclocking memory, but games seem to be more core oriented

Basically it seems best for gaming to go for your best core OC first and then try increasing the memory a bit if you still can

I actually just did a quick test, 4 runs of loading GTA V, 2 at stock 7000MHz clock and 2 at 8000MHz clock, the overclocked tests seemed to load into game 4-5 seconds faster than the stock clocks. Not scientific but there is a difference I think, would be cool if anyone else gave it a quick go!

Soldato
The HOF backplate looks amazing, I bet we'll see more manufacturers going for a full white theme in the next few years. I'm fed up with red everywhere. Hopefully today Logan gives us the full review of the Strix.

Gibbo mentioned a factory 980ti hof with waterblock coming in august. Just a bit of red cable:p
1779350_10205756089612896_8448298964456457739_n.jpg

Associate
Hey Ben,

Just noticed the ETA for the Hybrid has been changed to 17/07/15.

Is the shipment still happening on the 7th?

I've decided to wait until the 7th regardless, but if nothing happens I'm afraid I'll have to cancel and go with a different brand.

Cheers

Hi

There is a shipment en route to OCUK but at the moment this is being held up by the port strikes in France. Most shipments incoming are delayed but I would expect this stock to reach OCUK by the 7th. Depending on where you are in the queue will depend if you get yours on this day.

Ben

Associate
Anyone technically knowledgeable enough to explain why my previous G1 had up to 130 power limit on Afterburner, whilst my current Gaming Edition has 109 power limit with 69% ASIC on gpu-z.

Currently have the core at 150+ and runs very smooth. My previous G1 oc'ed slightly better, but damn dat coil whine was absolutely unbearable. And Twin Frozr runs silent even at 100% fan speed, whilst the G1 gave me a headache at 50-60%. Guess it just wasn't meant to be, perhaps next time Gigabyte. ;)

Yep dead easy to answer. Simply because msi wrote the bios in such a way the 9% power is all you can add to the default. Gigabyte allowed 30% in the bios. They could actually be the same final amount just depends on the default power. For reference the G1 bios has default power of 300w. Max power at 390w. Not got an msi bios to check but itll be different.

Reference cards and the zotac amp which is a reference card with a custom cooler has a default power of 250w. Max power of 275w hence 110% power in after burner.

Make sense?

What is interesting about this is most 980tis boost to 1450mhz within the 275w max power. A g1 could go to 1550 but to get there might need 390w! So thats 100mhz for 115w extra power over 1 mhz per watt!

Or in other terms to get 7% clock boost by buying a g1 you add potentially 42% power and pay 24% £££££. If my maths are right.

Hmmmmmmm. Not pretty. Especially that power jump. Quite clearly a steep rise in power usage over 1450mhz.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well my cards are up and running but my system hardlocked in GTA5. I think it was due to the rather aggressive power management that the Nvidia drivers do though as it was set to adaptive and the menu even triggers a downclock, which reduces the FPS to single figures. I'll test my theory out later, but obviously some sort of bug. Batman Arkham Knight is silky smooth though with all the bells and whistles and video encoding is flying by with no issues either.

Associate
Hi

There is a shipment en route to OCUK but at the moment this is being held up by the port strikes in France. Most shipments incoming are delayed but I would expect this stock to reach OCUK by the 7th. Depending on where you are in the queue will depend if you get yours on this day.

Ben

I'm guessing this applies to the Classy as well?

Soldato
YusKfTa.jpg

So, I picked up a MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G a couple of days ago, been too busy to post a picture, never mind use the thing much lol.

Seems like a sweet card so far, so quiet. Coming from an R9 290X Reference, it's quite a difference lol.

First ever Team Green card too, it felt wrong lol.

Associate
So, I picked up a MSI 980Ti Gaming 6G a couple of days ago, been too busy to post a picture, never mind use the thing much lol.

Seems like a sweet card so far, so quiet. Coming from an R9 290X Reference, it's quite a difference lol.

First ever Team Green card too, it felt wrong lol.

Hi.. Would you mind getting the ruler out to do a quick measurement of the card length?

Soldato
I must say, I really can't hear my G1 ever. Maybe, if volume on my games are on mute and the fan is working above 55-60% but even then, it's very quiet.

I still find it quite noisy at that that level, it's easily the loudest thing in my case. But I'm not used to air cooling as I always watercool my cards. Just waiting on EK. . .

Got a decent overclock of 1525MHz boost and 8000MHz memory on my G1 but considering returning it because of the coil whine, a shame because I was happy with these clocks!

My first G1 was a right pig, had a awful whine which drove me nuts.

Only had a asic score of 66% as well.

Here is a quick video of it whilst playing bf4

I got a replacement though G1 and she is miles quieter, only a very,very slight hint of whine (only when overclocked) and you literally have to put your head right up next to it. I've got no problem with that as you can't hear anything at normal distance whatsoever. All I hear is fans/air moving.

A HUGE improvement!!!

It also has a ASIC score of 75.4% which is a lot better than 66% on my previous card.

It runs a lot cooler over all (even the fans seem quieter at the same rpm) and the best bit I've run it with heaven, valley, firestrike, realbench countless times (and a good dose of BF4!) @ 1504/8000 with just +10v on stock voltage (so 1.1870v at load!!!) no problems at all on the stock bios.

WOW - This girl's got a ton of headroom left in her and I'm sure will go much higher. As I seem to have a little gem now I'm gonna wait till she is watercooled (come on EK!) and then go for it! :D

Well chuffed now and certainly worth a tiny bit of hassle with swapping cards.

:)

Last edited:
Associate
Fair one. Well I looked on MSI and it states the card size at 269 x 140 x 40.

I'd have to try and find a ruler to go measure it, and I have no idea where one is lol.

Haha, the only reason I ask is that I read somewhere that the MSI specs aren't correct as well and the length was closer to 290mm... But obviously that doesn't make much sense, but still thought to verify.

That's okay, don't put yourself out!

Associate
I'm guessing this applies to the Classy as well?

Evga is making it really hard to persevere as a loyal customer... I'm on the verge of swapping my order from Classy to the MSI card - so that I can finally get something decent for my rig without any more waiting.

Back
Top Bottom