• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
Nice, the G1 isn't that far off thematically with the white lighting.
I want to go Red and White.
8d7b9b9ac902eaaacc4bbca450c2014b.jpg

So far only got Luxe and HoF lol, but there are some nice Motherboards coming with Skylake.

Associate
I was thinking i7-5820k, MSI X99S Krait (or Asus Deluxe if I could get it for a decent price), SuperFlower Leadex in White, TeamGroup Vulcan/Panram Ninja-V 3000MHz RAM, in a 760T, or something along those lines!

I don't plan to watercool, I'd much rather put the £400 into another graphics card, however tempting it may be.

Associate
I don't know what's your current build but after waiting one year (since the 5820k) you might as well wait for Skylake S D:
Just the whole brand new build thing, might be better doing it on a fresh platform.
Also once you look into it, water-cooling is not that extreme.
We're really OT XD

Associate
I am currently running an i5-3450, with some substandard motherboard and 16gb RAM, it's working fine for the mean time, but I'd like to upgrade.

And yeah we are... I should probably venture more into other subforums as I like having discussions and being a general noob when it comes to hardware.

Associate
So, after spending a few hours tinkering and finding the PERFECT fan profile, and overclocking to a fully stable 1535/8010 overclock, I think I am going to bite the bullet and keep this beast of a card until Pascal comes along. At least I will be able to net a fairly decent price for it because of the high ASIC when I come to sell it! :D I will just have to live with the coil whine.

EDIT: Fan profile for anyone who wants it, keeps the card under/at 60C and is very quiet.
5ckiisa.png

Last edited:
Associate
Have I been lucky with my two cards? My previous overclocked to 1560/2000, with 1540 being stable in games, and my current overclocks to 1580/2000 (anything higher than 2000 memory on both cards seems to crash), and I've not really tried to game on such high clocks, but it's fine for benches.

Soldato
Below is not mine but pretty much how the finished article looks on mine except the NZXT backplate is flipped over and minus one card :p.

XGRcUbR.jpg

That does look very nice and love that SLI bridge. I'm just waiting for my EVGA one. Those temps sound good too for an all in one cooler! Mine usually runs around mid 30s and tops out at about 38c on a warm day with a high overclock, Pump at about 70% and fans at 1200rpm.

The sp120 performance do shift a lot more air but they are loud as hell, unless you ran your system outside lol. I had 2 on my 240mm radiator and had to swap them for quiet editions.

Associate
Have I been lucky with my two cards? My previous overclocked to 1560/2000, with 1540 being stable in games, and my current overclocks to 1580/2000 (anything higher than 2000 memory on both cards seems to crash), and I've not really tried to game on such high clocks, but it's fine for benches.

What I've found is if you don't get red spots while playing The Witcher 3 (uncapped frames), you're good to go.
Benchmarks, especially Firestrike, are quite kind.

With my Amp Extreme I could bench up to 1540/2040 but in W3 would get artifacts on anything above 1485.
Gta 5 never crashed.
Just keep living your life happily until something happens and dial 5Mhz back :p

Associate
Fair enough!

I've not tried Witcher, but I have heard it's stunning. I am going to wait until I get a new monitor so I don't spoil the graphics on my first go on it.

Associate
Managing 1500Mhz stable in almost every game apart from Witcher 3, why is that? Witcher 3 just doesn't seem to like anything above 1490Mhz for me

Temps hover around 64-70 for games with 70% fan speed.

I'm an idiot and set my case fans (1 front and 1 back) to idle at 25% manually since I bought this computer.

I just changed them to 100% and the temps on the card dropped over 5 degrees.

I also have 3 more fans coming on Monday to install on the top of my case to pull in cold air so hopefully that'll decrease temps even more.

But does anyone have any similiar experience with Witcher 3 and overclocking?

Shouldn't it be stable in Witcher 3 if it's stable in all other games?

Man of Honour
OP
Managing 1500Mhz stable in almost every game apart from Witcher 3, why is that? Witcher 3 just doesn't seem to like anything above 1490Mhz for me

Temps hover around 64-70 for games with 70% fan speed.

I'm an idiot and set my case fans (1 front and 1 back) to idle at 25% manually since I bought this computer.

I just changed them to 100% and the temps on the card dropped over 5 degrees.

I also have 3 more fans coming on Monday to install on the top of my case to pull in cold air so hopefully that'll decrease temps even more.

But does anyone have any similiar experience with Witcher 3 and overclocking?

Shouldn't it be stable in Witcher 3 if it's stable in all other games?

The more graphically demanding a game or bench is the harder it is for a card to hit a high overclock.

Witcher 3 is very demanding.

Associate
hello
wonder if anybody could help me p[lease, im getting a 4k monitor soon, is this the best graphics card there is, i intend getting the phillips 4k one,
also ive seen people mension a few times having 2 graphics cards is that for 2 monitors?
cheers

Soldato
hello
wonder if anybody could help me p[lease, im getting a 4k monitor soon, is this the best graphics card there is, i intend getting the phillips 4k one,
also ive seen people mension a few times having 2 graphics cards is that for 2 monitors?
cheers

The two cards, particularly for 4K rendering, are usually for SLI, to make the PC faster.

Although it can also be used for two or more displays.

Associate
Had to dial the OC back a bit when playing The Witcher 3 but it appears to be stable now and is running beautifully with everything maxed apart from Hairworks.

Core at 1477MHz with the card hitting 59C at 1440p.

Associate
I've been using my singular GTX 980Ti on 4k and honestly, it's not struggled much at all. You can get high-ultra on games and it still only dips to 40-50 FPS, maybe some people used to 144Hz would hate this, but I feel it's adequate. If you'd prefer 60 FPS, you can always tone down some of the graphics.

Soldato
Fair enough!

I've not tried Witcher, but I have heard it's stunning. I am going to wait until I get a new monitor so I don't spoil the graphics on my first go on it.

It is, especially once you get past the first map White Orchard and into the other maps, you seem to spend more time stopping and looking at the amazing visuals (lighting and shadows are truly amazing). I never get sick of looking at the graphics in this game, it is pure eye candy :D

Associate
Which of the 980Ti reference card brands offer the best UK after sales support (UK RMA centre, etc). I see that Zotac offer a 5 year warranty but they are based in Macau?

Also, how are you guys with reference cards at stock settings finding the cooler noise under load after a few months now? A few reviews have described it as relatively "loud" even though the db levels don't seem too bad.

Soldato
Which of the 980Ti reference card brands offer the best UK after sales support (UK RMA centre, etc). I see that Zotac offer a 5 year warranty but they are based in Macau?

Also, how are you guys with reference cards at stock settings finding the cooler noise under load after a few months now? A few reviews have described it as relatively "loud" even though the db levels don't seem too bad.

My EVGA reference is not noisy, I have it manually set to 60% and it sounds like a quiet pleasant breeze. 100% is like a jet plane taking off but no one should have it that high anyway.

I hear EVGA are one of the best for Warranties which was partly my reason for choosing them this time around.

Back
Top Bottom