• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ashes of the Singularity Coming, with DX12 Benchmark in thread.

Caporegime
People really stop looking at small differencies in frames. IF you are gpu bound in dx11 and dx12, it's only normal that you can get better score in DX11 sometimes, as it's not synthetic benchmark and workload is a bit different each time. For non synthetic benchmark it's suprisingly consistent.

First tests look promising. However there really is something odd going on with AMD cpu's . Let's wait for new versions of drivers and game to see how things evolve.

Edit, AMDMatt's post shows that cpu scaling for 8 cores is there. But the game just is very demanding for GPU aswell (unlike starswarm), that's why we don't see big differencies between fastest 4 cores and 6/8 cores.

Matt, would it be possible for you to run cpu test in that benchmark, and post cpu core usages?

Sure. I nabbed this screenshot whilst the bench was running, 100% utilisation for each thread. I will post the results shortly.

CtL6hFN.jpg

As for the bench itself it seems perfectly fine to me, as the details and resolution increase the FPS goes down. I'm sure the driver issues that are causing odd results with be fixed, but from our perspective things are working as they should.

ExtremeTech said:
For all the fuss about Oxide’s supposed MSAA bug, we expected to see Nvidia’s performance tank or some other evidence of a problem. Screenshots of DX12 vs. DX11 with 4x MSAA revealed no differences in implementation, as per Dan Baker’s blog post. All that happens, in this case, is that AMD goes from tying the GTX 980 Ti to leading it by a narrow margin. In DirectX 11, Nvidia’s 4x MSAA scores were 15.6% lower at 4K and 7.7% lower at 1080p. AMD’s results were 6% and 3% lower, but there’s clearly some non-optimized code paths on AMD’s side of the fence when using that API.

Source
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...he-singularity-amd-and-nvidia-go-head-to-head

Last edited:
Soldato
So people are still ignoring the fact that 'as the resolution is upped, the frames go up' in favour of posts like this.

In the olden days, we at least used to have some intelligent discussions :(

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...he-singularity-amd-and-nvidia-go-head-to-head

If you read my other post instead of focusing on this one, I'm with you. I was merely correcting the other guy who was trying to martyr nVidia for some reason.

Howling said:
Instead of arguing about AMD DX11=>DX12 performance.. Why is no one looking at nVidia DX12 => AMD DX12. Surely that's what all it's all going to boil down to in the end? Which cards are better on DX12, no? Though I do doubt the wisdom in looking at just one game..

Soldato
Very surprised you are continuing with discussing Nvidia, Matt and you have been warned before about that.

@Howling. The above post was sensible and the post I quoted was a little silly.

I was just pointing out..... you know what. Nevermind. I used to care, but these last few weeks of activity have pretty much drained me of it.

Caporegime
I'm not able to get the CPU results to display, but each core/thread is getting used to 100% it seems in the regular bench.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=26876483&postcount=36

Gibbo said:
This decision for AMD to employ LTMatt as a representive for themselves has nothing to do with OcUK, we did not recommend or were not involved in any discussion with AMD about this. Just so you know as you are blatantly wrong.

We set him as a vendor rep to ensure who is posting within vendor rep rules and as such LTMatt can now only post in threads or make threads about AMD hardware, he is now no longer allowed to comment on NVIDIA hardware in any way shape or form now is has Vendor Rep status.

Just so you know.

Soldato
Very surprised you are continuing with discussing Nvidia, Matt and you have been warned before about that.

@Howling. The above post was sensible and the post I quoted was a little silly.

Why does one get a warning for discussing Nvidia? This is a gpu benchmark thread and Nvidia do make Gpu's...:confused:

Associate
Lmfao this thread. Now nvidia might not be king they are throwing out damage control and all the fanboys crawling from the woodwork, funny as hell. THE BEST quote so far is "nvidia should get the same gains!"

Erm.. WHY? They have totally different GPU architechtures and drivers. Given the way the AMD cards architecture is, it might get better performance with DX12? Why is that completely impossible? NVIDIA spent a long time getting DX11 overhead down, yet DX12 is brand new, maybe AMD has worked on DX12 drivers more? There are plenty of factors to consider, the people in this thread that immediately assume that the benchmark is completely worthless because of one result, or the way something happened one time vs another must be deluding themselves into thinking they know tech but actually don't.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
To be fair it was Nvidia's Drivers.

'Nvidia mistakenly stated that there is a bug in the Ashes code regarding MSAA. By Sunday, we had verified that the issue is in their DirectX 12 driver. Unfortunately, this was not before they had told the media that Ashes has a buggy MSAA mode. More on that issue here. On top of that, the effect on their numbers is fairly inconsequential. As the HW vendor's DirectX 12 drivers mature, you will see DirectX 12 performance pull out ahead even further.'

We've offered to do the optimization for their DirectX 12 driver on the app side that is in line with what they had in their DirectX 11 driver. Though, it would be helpful if Nvidia quit shooting the messenger.

http://forums.oxidegames.com/470406

i'm sure now that Nvidia know about it they will fix it. :)

Caporegime
I've noticed a few little niggles and bugs from my limited time playing around with it, but it seems like it's going to be a good benchmark. It's great to see all 16 threads getting fully utilised in a game.

Soldato
What they mean matt is that in CPU bound scenarios with the FX 8370 and 6300. As well as an i3 for good measure, in the pcper review, the GPUs show a slight performance increase as resolution and/or graphical quality is increased.

But in that situation the game is utilising the GPU more anyway. But it could also just be a statistical error if they only did a single run on each. Due to the game running CPU bound. The differences are only a few fps increase.

Caporegime
OP
I've noticed a few little niggles and bugs from my limited time playing around with it, but it seems like it's going to be a good benchmark. It's great to see all 16 threads getting fully utilised in a game.

Just think, consoles have been utilizing multiple threads for a decade and a half, its taken all that time of Microsoft dragging their feet before we can use more CPU power than what is equivalent of a multi-core CPU of the time.

High powered GPU's can now stretch their legs.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just think, consoles have been utilizing multiple threads for a decade and a half, its taken all that time of Microsoft dragging their feet before we can use more CPU power than what is equivalent of a multi-core CPU of the time.

High powered GPU's can now stretch their legs.

Better late than never. :)

Associate
Over reaching much? Competition is healthy but even if Nvidia were "king" , losing one benchmark is hardly the end of the world now is it

Indeed, I agree. My point is that some of the people on this forum seem to be "act" (in a very poor way) non biased, yet always seem to dig at AMD for every little detail, regardless of how small. Then "conveniently" ignore nvidia's problems until they are huge.

Yet THIS time, its quite a small problem, most likely just needs a driver update or something, and yet the amount of damage control is hilarious!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom