• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The GTX 980 Ti owners thread.

Associate
Planning on picking up 2 x 980Ti's in Jan sales. HAve picked up on the fact that Ti's in SLi dump a lot of heat into the case. What are the recommendations for cards in SLI format?

2 x reference blowers or 1 x hybrid and any aftermarket 980ti

Do all 980Ti's clock well, even reference blower cards?

Thanks in advance

The TI`s run a little hotter than the older 970/980 especially more so when over clocked. I would just get 2x hybrids for sil. All 980ti`s should do 1450 on the core at a minimum if not you would have a poor card.

Man of Honour
Just bought an EVGA 980ti from the members market for £390, can't wait to receive it! Also ordered myself the Dell gsync 27" to go with it. Finally making the jump from 1080p!

Not bad, you'll wonder why you didn't do it years ago. 1440p is spectacular.

I'd imagine I will be wowed again once I go to 4k, but probably a year or two off that for now.

Soldato
Yeah I'm looking forward to it. Just bagged R6 Siege for £22 really enjoyed the free trial over the weekend and beta. 1440p should do me until 4K becomes more mainstream and affordable for a peasant like me. :D I got the Dell that's on here for £455, much prefer OCUK for customer service and if I'm not happy they won't whinge about me retuning it. Got £150 for my benq in sig.

Associate
Didn't see the point in changing the 980 Ti Lightning's LED colour with Mytic Light, thought it'd spoil the look of the card but boy, was I wrong. It looks so good with red LEDs!

Caporegime
Is there any way guys to to away with the very annoying 63c throttle point? My card boosts to 1329mhz at stock, but once it hits 63c it drops to 1316mhz. A bit frustrating as with the custom fan curve i use it doesnt get much above 65c.

Associate
Planning on picking up 2 x 980Ti's in Jan sales. HAve picked up on the fact that Ti's in SLi dump a lot of heat into the case. What are the recommendations for cards in SLI format?

2 x reference blowers or 1 x hybrid and any aftermarket 980ti

Do all 980Ti's clock well, even reference blower cards?

Thanks in advance

Hi

First of all aftermarket non ref pcbs like for example the evga classified will hold their overclock rock solid in single gpu mode at all times apart from any temp issues of course. Ref ones have clock speeds that change all over during gaming. In sli though as both gpus are not 100% maxed they will hold a rock steady clock without fluctuation even if they are both ref cards.

Ref cards in sli can be noisy. I myself have a evga classified on top and a evga hybrid water cooled one below. I have a rampage iv black MB so the spacing is good. For single gpu scenarios the classy rocks and in sli the ref hybrid matches the speed of the classy with obviously a higher overclock to bring it up to the same speed when both are overclocked. I am using an air 540 case and the classy on a custom fan profile can reach 60 or slightly over fan speed which is audible but not annoying to myself, the hybrid makes no extra audible noise. The temps on the classy are fine stops under 85 degrees with slightly over 60% fan speed on the heaviest of loads.

Regarding heat in my case, the hybrid radiator is at the back of the case expelling heat and my cpu cooler expells heat out the top. This setup works for me great.

Two aftermarket pcb all in one watercooled cards would be ideal if your case can support that setup. Not sure if one exists as i have not checked.

Overclocking cards is the silicon lottery as always but as i said earlier in single gpu mode a ref card will not run a game with a rock solid clock speed from my experience an aftermarket non ref pcb will.

Hope this helps you a bit, it's early and i may have rambled on too much.

Associate
Is there any way guys to to away with the very annoying 63c throttle point? My card boosts to 1329mhz at stock, but once it hits 63c it drops to 1316mhz. A bit frustrating as with the custom fan curve i use it doesnt get much above 65c.

To be honest i wouldn't worry about it that minor drop in speed as long as it's rock solid stable without fluctations will have no impact on fps at all as you probably know. You could overclock the card very slightly and then even when you get past 63c and drop it will still be at 1329mhz.

Soldato

Hi setter, hope you had a great xmas day and all the best for 2016.

Hows your case air flow maybe improving it might help to reduce the case temps so you don't get throttling.

Also keep your fan airfilters clean, just cleaned mine and GPU temps dropped 3'c.

Caporegime
Hi setter, hope you had a great xmas day and all the best for 2016.

Hows your case air flow maybe improving it might help to reduce the case temps so you don't get throttling.

Also keep your fan airfilters clean, just cleaned mine and GPU temps dropped 3'c.
Cheers mate, same to yourself.

Regarding case airflow, its very good. 2x 140mm front fans with a modified mesh front grill on the case, 2x 120mm fans right behind the card in the drive trays, and 2x 120mm bottom intakes. More of an annoyance that they put a cut off point at such a low temperature. Bit daft in all honesty.

Soldato
Well i just installed the MK-26 air cooler on my reference asus 980 ti and my god what a difference that made to the temps. Using IC Diamond 7 paste my temps under load has dropped 40 degrees when running stock and 41 degrees when overclocking to 1400ish core. The only weird thing is GPU boost doesnt go higher by itself with the new cooler on it. It sticks to around 1200 during load no matter what cooler i use, except with the reference cooler it starts to throttle alittle down to 1150ish area in certain games like Witcher 3 after 5-10 minutes of play due to hitting the temp limit.

Associate
New owner posting! Just ordered the EVGA hybrid version. Upgrading from a 670 as I got a nice little christmas bonus from work :p

I'm a little unsure of where to put the radiator/fan but I think I can replace the rear Exhaust fan (HAF-X case), otherwise there is a big gap in the 3.5 inch bays.

Back
Top Bottom