Car Purchasing - ITR DC5 vs S2000

Associate
If the choice of your next car with a budget of £14k would be between either a Honda S2000 or a Honda Integra Type R DC5 what car would people opt for?

Driving habbits are mostly awsome Welsh mountain roads, with a trip or two by dual carrige way.

Hopefully the car will also be used for a trip round Europe next year.

Insurance costs etc not a problem.

Associate
Tin top vs soft top. I'd sooner have the soft top, but practicality issues (need for emergency rear seats, security, boot) may make the Integra a better buy.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Most average drivers will be able to drive a DC5 faster on UK roads and at the track. However if very good driver behind the wheel the S2000 would be quicker than the DC5 but the S2000 is a lot harder to drive faster due to the RWD.
Also with the S2000 try to get a 2002 model or later as they greatly improved and the 2004 model was even more user friendly.

If you want attention especially from the girls then the S2000 wins hands down plus the S2000 sounds even nicer with a proper exhaust and intake system. The DC5 sounds great true but the S2000 does have the edge as the F20A engine is great.

If tuning you might want to consider the DC5 as they seem easier to tune which does then make them quicker in a straight line over an S2000, getting more power from th F20A is hard and cost a lot of money.

For me nothing could beat blasting around in the S2000 on a hot summers day with the roof down, as you'll love the sound, the fact you get a tann whilst driving hehe and the superb handling once you master the RWD. However the S2000 can be a nightmare in poor weather conditions wheras the DC5 would fair much better.

Soldato
Having been in Merlins DC5, I really liked it and would probably be the only FWD car I would consider buying for a performance fun car. That said, it would be the S2000 for me because it seems to be a car you can learn a lot from and it rewards good drivers with fantastic handling or so I hear, plus its a winner for me because its RWD. In reality, it would be niether because I love turbo cars.

Soldato
I've actually been thinking of trading in my civic for a S2000 in time for summer, but thats only because we have another practical car in the household, otherwise it wouldn't even be a consideration.

Soldato
s2000 as its rwd.

so like the DC5's a lot though, i just have a hard time justifying anything thats not RWD. by far my preferred driven wheels. FWD and AWD no fun in comparison. :)

Soldato
s2000 imo....

however after driving one for 3 hours... I can honestly say I dont get these 'ITS DANGEROUS OMGOMG' comments... I found it really easy....

Man of Honour
Conanius said:
s2000 imo....

however after driving one for 3 hours... I can honestly say I dont get these 'ITS DANGEROUS OMGOMG' comments... I found it really easy....

That's part of the reason for the comments... The S2000 handles really well up until it snaps your hand off when you push it that little bit too hard. It doesn't let go very easily, but when it does it does so very suddenly and you have to be really paying attention. It's also very sensative to poor road surface or design.

If it was me, for a daily drive, I'd go with the Integra. The S2000 is lovely, but not the most relaxing car to drive day to day, especially the early ones. The DC5 will probably be quicker point to point in the hands of most drivers (myself definately included) than the S2000, it will also probably be cheaper to run, and has rear seats.

Drive both, if you can both wet and dry, and give them a try :)

Soldato
The_Dark_Side said:
a revolver isn't dangerous in the right persons hands.
get it?

most definately.. but at the same time, someone considering an ITR as an alternative is probably someone who knows about cars... and that in a RWD the loud pedal doesnt need to be rammed down mid corner in the wet :p

Back
Top Bottom