Folding@Home Weekly Team News - 7th April 2006

Ken

Ken

Associate
BillytheImpaler said:
Nice one, Ken. 100000 points / 500 WUs = 200 points per WU on average. That's a pretty impressive average in my eyes. Is that highly influenced by QMDs?
Thanks :). Nah, I think my system out of the six currently folding is the only one with the advanced methods flag on.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
BillytheImpaler said:
Nice one, Ken. 100000 points / 500 WUs = 200 points per WU on average. That's a pretty impressive average in my eyes. Is that highly influenced by QMDs?

This interested me so, as I had some time on my hands, I lifted the data from the Stanford team page and bunged it into a spreadsheet and worked out the averages for the team.

I uploaded the spreadsheet to here if anyone is even remotely interested :) (Data as at 08:30 10/04/06)

There are some mighty high averages there, it would be interesting to have a breakdown of the WUs done to achieve these high averages.

I really must find something more constructive to do with my time :o

Stan :)

Soldato
OP
Bigstan said:
There are some mighty high averages there, it would be interesting to have a breakdown of the WUs done to achieve these high averages.
you can see exactly what Ken has had if you look on his Personal Page then clicking on the "Detailed listing for projects xxx-xxx" - at a glance it looks like there were quite a few 600 pointers in that lot which would make sense as they aren't exclusively -advmethods

it would be nice if they could put the points for each project on the same page - don't think that'll happen anytime soon though :o

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
45 minutes * 100 = 3.12500 days to complete
449 points / 3.12500 days = 143.68 points per day.

Though not spectacular, those numbers are A-OK in my eyes. They beat the 110 ppd global average benchmark.

I used to get ~200 a day with my old A64 3000...

Soldato
OP
sr4470 said:
I used to get ~200 a day with my old A64 3000...
yup - the difference is the availability of large WUs with bonus points

140ppd without bonus points is very good going
once the QMDs return there should be less problem getting decent WUs - until then it's just treacle time :o

Soldato
rich99million said:
yup - the difference is the availability of large WUs with bonus points

140ppd without bonus points is very good going
once the QMDs return there should be less problem getting decent WUs - until then it's just treacle time :o

That reminds me, I forgot to put -advmethods on...

Associate
rich99million said:
There is some pretty hefty work available for beta testing at the moment, probably better suited to A64 and above as my XP is choking on them a little.

Now the part i don't understand is how do you let the client know that is meant to pick up Beta WU's once your accepted or how do the servers know which PC/client to give a beta WU from say the many PC's/clients you may be running (if that makes sense, tis monday after all)

EDIT I think i've worked it out, you have to insert a certain flag

Last edited:
Soldato
MajorPart said:
Now the part i don't understand is how do you let the client know that is meant to pick up Beta WU's once your accepted or how do the servers know which PC/client to give a beta WU from say the many PC's/clients you may be running (if that makes sense, tis monday after all)

EDIT I think i've worked it out, you have to insert a certain flag

The advmethods switch is what you want.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Rich would know more than me about how it works (and perhaps you too, Major), but it's most of the beta-tester wrangling done on the server side? For non-beta testers, -advmethods does not enable beta WUS. It enables the newest stable WUs; WUs that were in beta a short time ago.

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
Rich would know more than me about how it works (and perhaps you too, Major), but it's most of the beta-tester wrangling done on the server side? For non-beta testers, -advmethods does not enable beta WUS. It enables the newest stable WUs; WUs that were in beta a short time ago.

Hmm...ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Mattus said:
As a member of the beta team it's impressed on you that it's more than you're worth to give anything out, though.
So what you're saying is that beta testers get the secret decoder ring via carrier pidgeon that they then use to decode Vijay Pande's brainwaves that then gives them an uber-secret command-line flag that asks for beta WUs? I get it now. ;)

Back
Top Bottom