Live for Speed. Large update this weekend

Soldato
I've been playing the demo of this game on and off for about a year. I don't know what it is but its just so addictive!

What are people's best times in the GTI on Blackwood?

Using keyboard + mouse I can do 1.33.50 quite easily. If I'm playing on a good server and racing amongst some competitive folks I can sometimes get that a bit lower.

Soldato
guess its time i stopped playing the demo and bought me an S2 license, just waiting for money from my old bank to get put into my new one though :rolleyes:

NathanE said:

Using keyboard + mouse I can do 1.33.50 quite easily. If I'm playing on a good server and racing amongst some competitive folks I can sometimes get that a bit lower.

one of my best times is a 1:34.49 im really not that good at being consitant though and am usually sitting between 1:35-36, but i am terrible at being competitive, but its still so addictive. i use a xbox360 pad aswell :(

Last edited:
Associate
My best at Blackwood in the GTI is 1.32.70, and I can consistently get low 33s.

You might see me on the demo servers every so often, I enjoy this track/car combo but theres not that many S2 servers running it most of the time.

Associate
OP
NathanE said:

World record is 1:31.54

Mine is somewhere in 1:34 I think without practice, I know where I can easily improve but never get round to it :) Would hope I could break into the 1:33s.

1:33 is great NathanE! Get the S2 Licence now!

Associate
Anybody know where i can download a complete (or close to) set of car setups?

Im having no luck setting any of my cars up, even when i think i have it right, i can push the car to its limits for that setup and still be 5 seconds per lap down on everybody else. :(

Prime example: GTI on Blackwood = 1:40 at best.

A direct link would be good, thanks.

Associate
OP
Pinched from the LFS forums...

Easy race settings should be quite forgiving and fun. The world record setups may be faster in the right hands but are only good for a couple of laps. Change the tyres for some harder ones if using them to race.

Easy race setups: link

World record setups: link

All credit for the easy setups goes to Bob Smith from the LFS Forums.

Last edited:
Associate
Insanity said:
Well, i used the world record setups and my time dropped a whole second. :p

I must just suck. :(

Go to LFSWorld and get the hotlap replays, they will show you where you are losing most time.

Are you braking for the S-Bend and the final left? Just ease off and balance the car on the throttle, apex at about 70.

Associate
OP
Seeing as we missed this wednesday on the OcUK server, maybe we should do some weekend racing/practice. Even a GTi BL Demo server, everyone welcome!

Associate
NutritioN said:
Seeing as we missed this wednesday on the OcUK server, maybe we should do some weekend racing/practice. Even a GTi BL Demo server, everyone welcome!

I'll be playing most of the weekend probably :)
Can host a demo server if peeps are interested, XFG/XRG would be best I reckon.

Associate
Bean0 said:
Go to LFSWorld and get the hotlap replays, they will show you where you are losing most time.

Are you braking for the S-Bend and the final left? Just ease off and balance the car on the throttle, apex at about 70.

I'll give you a rundown of my lap.

Power up the straight towards the hairpin, in 5th gear, at the 150 marker start changing back gears, down to 2nd and coast thru the hairpin (no throttle at all), then give it a quick squirt before the S-Bend.

Feather the throttle thru the S-Bend, basically pushing the car hard enough to brush the ripple strips without losing the rear end, then powering down the back straight working my way to 5th/6th gear depending on how my run was out of the S-Bend.

Back down to 3rd at the end of the back straight for the right-hander, lightly feathering the throttle depending on the speed i had coming into it. Flat out in 3rd gear towards the next S-Bend, then back to 2nd gear without the brakes (tends to get a bit lose, but nothing major), i get back onto the throttle as early as possible coming out of that, shiftng thru to 4th for the next right-hander, back down to second, pushing the car to the outter ripple strip, up into third gear, a tap of the brakes for the left-hand corner, then coasting thru it in 3rd.

Then its back on the power asap for the front straight.

Wow... that took longer to type then it does to actually do it. :p

EDIT: I might have to get ahold of FRAPS and record a run.

Last edited:
Associate
Insanity said:

Just do a lap in single player mode and then upload the SPR. I think you can then run the SPR through various programs to get the telematics and then compare where you are slower with other racers.

I've though about doing this myself to see where i am losing time.

BeanO - should be on this weekend for some racing - missus is away :D

Associate
Insanity said:
I'll give you a rundown of my lap.

Power up the straight towards the hairpin, in 5th gear, at the 150 marker start changing back gears, down to 2nd and coast thru the hairpin (no throttle at all), then give it a quick squirt before the S-Bend.

Feather the throttle thru the S-Bend, basically pushing the car hard enough to brush the ripple strips without losing the rear end, then powering down the back straight working my way to 5th/6th gear depending on how my run was out of the S-Bend.

Back down to 3rd at the end of the back straight for the right-hander, lightly feathering the throttle depending on the speed i had coming into it. Flat out in 3rd gear towards the next S-Bend, then back to 2nd gear without the brakes (tends to get a bit lose, but nothing major), i get back onto the throttle as early as possible coming out of that, shiftng thru to 4th for the next right-hander, back down to second, pushing the car to the outter ripple strip, up into third gear, a tap of the brakes for the left-hand corner, then coasting thru it in 3rd.

Then its back on the power asap for the front straight.

Wow... that took longer to type then it does to actually do it. :p

Start braking at just before the 100m marker, quickly change to 3rd to engine brake and apex the hairpin at about 45 in 2nd, try to be slightly over to the outside of the track approaching the chicane.

Aim for the kerbing on the right, turn left just as you touch it (this is where I change up to 3rd), then aim to just touch the kerbing on the inside and on the right at the exit. This should all be full throttle, and you should be changing to 4th almost as soon as you're on the straight, and into 5th just before the timing line...try for a 31.xx split.

Hard on the brakes and quickly into 3rd just before the 100m marker, give a little gas to keep lift-off oversteer in check. Apex at 65ish and use the run off after the corner. For the S-Bend just ease off the gas and apex at about 70, you can get straight back on the throttle and take the left flat out. Changing to 4th just before the timing line, try for a 1.05/6 split.

Braking at the 50m marker and into 3rd, balance on the throttle again and apex the left at 60-65, use the run off and get over the right hand side of the track...use ALL of the run off going into the final corner.

Ease off the throttle as you pass the 2nd drain, and aim for the apex. A little throttle to keep the rear steady, apex at 70ish and full throttle as soon as you can. Up the hill and over the line, 1.33.xx or faster hopefully :)

Your right, takes a lot longer to type it than drive it.

Edit: Drunken Fool - Hopefully there'll be some more interest, I'll post up some server details at the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bean0, if your on i might be able to depending on the time, its my grans birthday tomorrow so wont be in tomorrow night, but ay other and im fine.

Good race the other day by the way, just ashame i got my rear handed to me on a plate again.

Associate
I would really like a nice racing game, but Im not sure if I can justify the 24 quid price tag....

I did enjoy the demo tho, the drag racing on the back side of the track was fun, tuning the car but always getting beatenn by them people with the massive suspensions and purple/pink cars.

I dont have a wheel, last time I used one was with the old playstation.... and it sucked :p

Back
Top Bottom