• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

(!Warning! Fudzilla!) Eeeek 2900XT may need a 750W+ PSU

Soldato
Tom|Nbk said:
This is a load of shens, Kombatant an actual AMD employee has posted that the 750w statement is totally BS

Links -

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1334923248&postcount=338
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1334923265&postcount=343

and some more speculation that the AMD slide/information Fuad has is fake things just arn't adding up with it.
AMD fault for putting an NDA on everyone that could tell the truth...So everyone else just makes guesses and makes things up...

Soldato
The information sheet Fuad posted apparantly showing an AMD instruction manual with spec's is FAKE. A number of things are wrong, the grammar sucks and things just don't add up. I suspect someone has emailed Fuad it, and in his exicted confused state he has posted it up without a second thought, as to how damaging this really is.

Soldato
Just for the record.

R600 minimal requirements pictured
Written by Fuad Abazovic
Thursday, 03 May 2007 14:56

Snap time

As some of our readers actually didn't believe that their bellowed R600XT might need 750W or more here is some proof. AMD clearly states you need a 750W or better power supply for this hot beast. You also need an Athlon or Pentium 4 of better CPU, 512MB to work and 1024MB for optimal performance or more. You can read the original part here.

The card supports Windows XP, 2000 and Vista both 32 and 64 bit one. We still have hope that the card might work with a good 500W but this is what AMD recommends. Well, it's all here.

Associate
like apparantly the R600 hits 100C after being powered up for 2min.... so idle speeds.....

yeah, so the nice little 80nm chip pumps out THAT much heat..... not sure i believe that.... especialy when the 8800 is 90nm, and nowhere near that hot.

Is there still thought of a 65nm revision of the R600? If there is i'd be really tempted to hold off for it, though TBH my 1950pro will easily last that long, even with my 20" ws. Punchy little card.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Also regarding this 100c nonsence.

This is making my blood boil now.

AMD/ATI let me tell these guys the real facts about this card because the utter crap on the internet is literally that, CRAP!

The card is quiet, in fact its more or less silent even after a good gaming session. It also stays in the 70c-80c under full load whilst overclocked and still remains quiet.

At stock speeds its generally around the 60c-70c mark and the heatsink does not burn to the touch like an 8800GTX or X1950 XTX, so the card can be handled even after a mad benchmarking session.

Caporegime
Gibbo said:
At stock speeds its generally around the 60c-70c mark and the heatsink does not burn to the touch like an 8800GTX or X1950 XTX, so the card can be handled even after a mad benchmarking session.

thats good to hear

one of the main reasons im after upgrading to the 2900 is my X1900 XTX is stupidly noisy and runs very hot !

if it turns out to be pants, ill have an 8800 GTX, but if not, ill stick with 2900 so i can have crossfire someday with my intel 975x motherboard.

Associate
The high PSU rating is probably just AMD/ATI covering their tails as not everyone has a solid brand PSU, if they rate it at 500W or below and people with a generic 500W PSU with poor rails cant run it, its just hassle for them explaining to customers the problem.

Associate
so temps not dissimilar to the X19xx XT/XTX? That's not too bad, given the greater TDP.

I'm hoping HIS come up with an equally innovative cooling solution to cool things further, or Thermalright come up with a punchy HD 2900 compatible cooler (or Zalman for that matter). I cant stand stock ATI heatsinks, and if they OC well then the extra temp head room would be nice.

Gibbo, is there any non NDA data on the max safe temp? I remember the old X19xx's were like 100-110 odd or something insane!

People like Fuad make me more and more interested in the HD 2900. Apart from the fact that i couldnt stand to put a Geforce in my comp, dunno why, just the way it is, prob because they always used to be "the card to get", and i've always had ATI and never had a prob (maybe that makes me a "fanboi" but, i'll aways go for bang for bunch, and ATI has always been that), the total disinformation campaign makes me wonder why people are trying so hard to make them sound bad.

A bit like when as a kid you get told not to do things by your parents, and all it does is make you more interested. Especially when the claims are so outrageous.

But hey, its wait and see time, with info seeping through the cracks of the ATI NDA, and speculation rife..... I wont believe anything until i see reviews on Tomshardware or Anandtech, or personal reports in this forum from people who have been around a bit. Bit like you are more likely to believe BBC over Al jazeera, or the Times over the News of the World!

Soldato
rafster said:
Doesn't anyone realise that wannabe journalist on Fudzilla is perhaps the most anti ATi person on earth?!

why though...this is the same guy that ati name the x800 after..the Fudo..wasn't it, and he got one of their golden samples.

Soldato
Fuad typically ignored the fact that the absoloute MAX the specifications of the card/ bus/power connections could ever do are 225w

We know for sure how much power it draws under 225w, not over.

6 pin = 75w MAX

6 pin = 75w MAX

PCIe = 75w MAX

The card can not do more than 225w due to limitations of PCI-E and the power connections FACT. Gibbos word is synchronous to this information. Fuad is an idiot.

Soldato
manoz said:
Do the new 8 pin power connectors give more power, if so how much?

they do give more power than previously needed, but the power can not exceed 225w as PCI-E cannot handle anymore than this. No matter how many fancy connectors you add

Soldato
Gibbo said:
Hi there

Also regarding this 100c nonsence.

This is making my blood boil now.

AMD/ATI let me tell these guys the real facts about this card because the utter crap on the internet is literally that, CRAP!

The card is quiet, in fact its more or less silent even after a good gaming session. It also stays in the 70c-80c under full load whilst overclocked and still remains quiet.

Thanks for the infomation Gibbo, I think I'll definitly hold out for the HD2900 XT series now, AMD/ATI should file a lawsuit for libel damages against that Fudzilla website - slander is against the law as far as I'm aware & thus they are providing false infomation that could damage AMD/ATI's sales.

Soldato
Tom|Nbk said:
they do give more power than previously needed, but the power can not exceed 225w as PCI-E cannot handle anymore than this. No matter how many fancy connectors you add
The 8 pin doesn't give more power than the 6 pin. It has the same number of 12v conductors, just 2 more commons. But it is rated higher at 100W (or 150W depends where you look). Again the 6 pin is rated at 75W it doesn't mean its physically limited to 75W at the PSU. You could pull a lot more current through the connector before the overcurrent limit is reached. It wouldn't be wise as its beyond the rating, but that's what happens when you overclock. Eventually it'll melt, but it will go higher.

Last edited:
Soldato
Tom|Nbk said:

Aaah, didn't know that.

None of the PCI-e 2.0 specs I find mention anything about wattage so I take it it'll be the same, max 225w?

Back
Top Bottom