• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Add another Asus 660 Ti, or swap for a 770?

Soldato
yeh there is that article out there about 'future proofing your PC for next gen consoles'.

the new consoles have 8gb of ram shared between CPU and GPU, which I think is kinda cool.

It will probably be months years but they speculated that when we see better ports from the consoles over to PC (they should be better this time...) we will need as much V-ram as we can get our hands on.

I don't think its entirely unreasonable therefore to get a 4gb card, depending on when your next upgrade cycle is.

ah found it, an interesting read:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

Associate
OP
yeh there is that article out there about 'future proofing your PC for next gen consoles'.

the new consoles have 8gb of ram shared between CPU and GPU, which I think is kinda cool.

It will probably be months years but they speculated that when we see better ports from the consoles over to PC (they should be better this time...) we will need as much V-ram as we can get our hands on.

I don't think its entirely unreasonable therefore to get a 4gb card, depending on when your next upgrade cycle is.

ah found it, an interesting read:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

Thanks for that, really is an interesting article! Several good points, tbh I'd missed the part about 8 GB unified memory, very interesting.

I think I've decided to stick with 660 Ti in SLI. I can see just the one doing pretty damn well with next gen games once they start hitting, adding another seems the better choice. Plus, this time NEXT year I should be in a considerably better job, so I can maybe think about selling two cards to fund a nice, pretty, 780... :D I do have one question regarding SLI though - does the second card have to be identical? If not, is it more beneficial to add an identical card or does it not matter as much? And if so, do you recommend anything besides my Asus DCU2 card?

Guys, thank you so much for all your input, it's much appreciated. I think I'm gonna like it here. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
no worries mate and welcome to the forums.

the second card has to be the same GPU core, but you can mix brands (as I do)

SLI ain't a shabby move at all, I can't think of a time i've had in-game SLI issues and adding another 470 to my system gave me shed loads more power, really noticeable in crysis and the like.

660Ti SLI will be a mover:D

Get that better job and show us your new shiny tech next year;)

Associate
If I had the option, I'd go 770. Not been overly impressed with SLI in the games I play. Apart from bench improvements, the downsides I cannot accept are the noise/heat (unless watercooled) and increased power draw. Sure it won't give as much fps in benches, but it won't be miles behind in games.

Permabanned
If I had the option, I'd go 770. Not been overly impressed with SLI in the games I play. Apart from bench improvements, the downsides I cannot accept are the noise/heat (unless watercooled) and increased power draw. Sure it won't give as much fps in benches, but it won't be miles behind in games.

My 770 lightnings in SLI are super quiet. No noise in my case. Maybe other brands , but not mine. I couldn't be happier:D

Associate
My 770 lightnings in SLI are super quiet. No noise in my case. Maybe other brands , but not mine. I couldn't be happier:D

I think that is fine. I could have gone for 2 770s instead of a 780, and performance would be "better". I don't think I've come across a game which brings my system to its knees though so having 2 cards would be unnecessary for me.

Interestingly, the only game which actually occasionally suffers an fps drops is WoW which is a very old game. In outdoor raids/world bosses with 40 players, fps can drop to <20 and no amount of GPU power will help that as it is a CPU limited (probably poorly coded) game.

Permabanned

SLI works fine for the most part. I've only come across a few games where SLI isn't that great,but tbh most game I play SLI is amazing. Only 1 game I know where SLI doesn't work at all. GTA lost eps. I have to disable SLI for that game to work.

Back
Top Bottom