• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

D3DOverrider - D3D Triple Buffering Application

Caporegime
Triple buffering gives you all the benefits of double buffering with no vsync enabled in addition to all the benefits of enabling vsync. We get smooth full frames with no tearing. These frames are swapped to the front buffer only on refresh, but they have just as little input lag as double buffering with no vsync at the start of output to the monitor. Even though "performance" doesn't always get reported right with triple buffering, the graphics hardware is working just as hard as it does with double buffering and no vsync and the end user gets all the benefit with out the potential downside. Triple buffering does take up a handful of extra memory on the graphics hardware, but on modern hardware this is not a significant issue.

Forcing Triple buffering in D3D games.

Now, the article has one glaring omission, and that's advice as to how to enable triple buffering in games that don't use OpenGL (an increasingly tiny minority these days) or explicitly include an option to enable it ingame. See, although your Nvidia and ATI control panel include to enable triple buffering in games, this setting only applies to OpenGL games, even though this may not be particularly clear.

This is where D3DOverrider comes in, as it allows you to force vsync and triple buffering in any game that uses Direct3D, which is the vast majority of games on the market today. It uses close to zero resources, is easy to use with both global and per application profiles available and I consider it to be one of the most essential programs for any self respecting PC gamer.

"Detection level" to medium
"Force Triple Buffering" to on
"Force Vsync" to on

I recommend that you do not force Vsync through your drivers in addition and just leave the setting to the default "application controlled."

Info
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366413

D3Doverrider comes with Rivatuner, but the only way to get it is by downloading and installing Rivatuner. Which hardly anyone uses anymore as it's hugely out of date and afterburner/evga precision overclock perfectly anyway. Thus i've uploaded the application for Ocuk members :D

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-49eec52f.html

Soldato
I've been using this for some time and it works perfectly. For those of us who can perform well on games using good levels of detail and without trying to think up excuses relating to input lag ;).

Soldato
Just so people know, I asked Unwinder who wrote this program if it would introduce lag over at Guru3d.......

He confirmed this program just forces DirectX to render an extra frame and display them IN ORDER so it does add an extra frames lag.

In contrast, developer enabled TB, such as the method employed by BF3 does not use this method but instead displays the newest frame it has in its buffers and disregards any older frames, therefore REDUCES input lag.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for the update kitch9

I've used this app for many games and the extra frames lag is hardly noticable if at all, however some games do work with very little tearing with vsync off and the app isn't needed.

Permabanned
I've been using this for some time and it works perfectly. For those of us who can perform well on games using good levels of detail and without trying to think up excuses relating to input lag ;).

Be it TF2,L4D2 i have vsync + max settings and will guarantee ill be near the top 5 on the server and have good aim IMO.I do miss the old HL1 smoothness i had when u never needed TB or Vsync on the days of the CRT its shocking how good it feels but its also shocking how bad TN panels and tearing is :) When u get to the point where you realise games are about having fun and enjoying youself and not trying to impress randoms with high frag counts you will see how VSYNC and a good IPS panel is a better way to enjoy games.

just so people know, I asked Unwinder who wrote this program if it would introduce lag over at Guru3d.......

He confirmed this program just forces DirectX to render an extra frame and display them IN ORDER so it does add an extra frames lag.

In contrast, developer enabled TB, such as the method employed by BF3 does not use this method but instead displays the newest frame it has in its buffers and disregards any older frames, therefore REDUCES input lag.

VERY few games need the program, i dont have it installed and 99% of the big titles work fine by setting Nvidia CP TripleBuffering to off and vsync to application controlled and use the ingame settings as well.Maybe a few B list titles need this program but dont bother for BF3.

PS this BF3 method has anyone tried not using it and still getting stutter? i have read about the BF3 stutter and realised that more frames ahead means smoother gameplay and if the BF3 method scraps 2 frames and uses the newest could this make the game seem a bit more choppy at the expense of lower input lag?

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Click the icon it should appear in your system bar bottom right, click the icon again

HIgh and both to ON

Minimize it and play a game, if it works it makes a DING sound when a game is loaded

Soldato
No use low as high has caused some issues tho i forgot what exactly i think it stoped some games starting but low or med was ok but i have found low to work well with everything and detect everything.

Dont need to use vysnc on, if you really need it use the ingame one.

Soldato
sorry for the possibly quite dumb question, but i'm getting a lot of conflicting info here.

most of the article is saying that the optimum is triple buffering and no vsync for screen tear elimination
the responses to the comments section and the info about triple buffering in the control panel for my nvidia card says that triple buffering still needs vsync

can someone clarify which is the right way to go about this, because this is exactly what ive been after

*edit*
well, to answer my own question i tried it out on the game ive been having the most screen tearing problems with and tried triple buffering with and without vsync. turns out you need vsync on no matter what to get rid of screen tearing. also, it doesnt get rid of the rubber band mouse problem that i get with vsync on that game

kinda disappointed now :(

*2nd edit*
putting maximum pre rendered frames to 1 helped slightly, but its still no where near fixed

Last edited:
Associate
If i use this with skyrim should i leave my "iPresentInterval=0" or put it back to "iPresentInterval=1" or does it not matter?

These are the setting i'm using

"Detection level" to medium
"Force Triple Buffering" to on
"Force Vsync" to on

thanks.

Caporegime
See, although your Nvidia and ATI control panel include to enable triple buffering in games, this setting only applies to OpenGL games, even though this may not be particularly clear.

This is only true for ATI drivers, NVidia CP works perfectly with D3D without needing a third party program.

Back
Top Bottom