** NEW CORSAIR LCS OFFERINGS AT OCUK **

Soldato
I could not get the link software to work after installing many times and swapping the cable around all over the place it would not see the H100i. I have now just connected the fans direct to the mainboard and have given up with the corsair controller.

It's a bit rubbish that a company like corsair is releasing things like this. The rattling is all over their forum and they say they have replicated the problem in their testing. Which is great but why is it there in the first place ?

Temp wise it's identical to my H100 give or take half a degree. After 10 runs of IBT on very high I see a max of 72.c with my I5 at 4.5ghz 1.36v. This is identical to my H100...

Soldato
It's all fitted now. Fans running off the mainboard after setting up a profile in the bios I would say the H100i is around 5.c cooler than the H100 under load. The fans can run higher RPM with less noise which is nice. It's also a much better looking cooler the thicker pipes look miles better than the H100 thin ones.
Hopefully Corsair will come up with a fix for the fan rattle as there is enough people experiencing it. It really should not be there. I will play with the Corsair link but tbh I'm not that bothered about it tbh.

P1070526.jpg

Associate
It is funny, a month ago I had a problem with a pair of Corsair AF fans making this exact sound, being powered from the built in fan controller in my NZXT Phantom, and now it's on their CPU cooler.. O.o

Soldato
It is funny, a month ago I had a problem with a pair of Corsair AF fans making this exact sound, being powered from the built in fan controller in my NZXT Phantom, and now it's on their CPU cooler.. O.o

I run AFs on a NZXT Sentry LXE (the external one) and mine run fine. I also have 2 SP performance fans running on PWM via a converter and they're fine too.

On Topic: To those that already have the H100i, do any of you have any SP120s you can test with the H100i ? I'd be interested to know if the problem is just with the supplied fans as I already have SP120s which I could use in place of the H100i stock ones.

Associate
My H100i, newly delivered, is still shrink wrapped. Having just gone through all the corsair forum threads and youtube videos on H100i problems I'm horrified and now cannot decide on whether I should open and fit or just send it back. There are also reports of the Link software not recognising the device. I can only hope that the new firmware is released soon and fixes the problem.

To those that already have the H100i, do any of you have any SP120s you can test with the H100i ? I'd be interested to know if the problem is just with the supplied fans as I already have SP120s which I could use in place of the H100i stock ones.

I also have no interest in using the stock fans. I will be using the same two red rimmed SP120 Quiet Edition fans that I'm currently using on the H100. I too would be interested to know whether the issue still occurs with the use of the SP120 fans.

Soldato
I cannot get the link software to work. Had a good play this morning using USB adapters and different plugs on the mainboard. Still no go..

TBH if you already have a H100 I would not bother upgrading to the H100i it does not offer much benefit other than it looks a bit better. I would imagine decent fans on a H100 will give the same results as the H100i.

Associate
I cannot get the link software to work. Had a good play this morning using USB adapters and different plugs on the mainboard. Still no go..

Crap. Yeah lots of people on corsair forums are reporting the same. And the only recommendations I've seen so far on there were to make sure that bios, mb and chipset driver versions were up to date and to reinstall the link software. Some people even went as far as reinstalling windows. Though I haven't seen any reports so far of people fixing this through any means. One can only hope that the firmware fixes this too but who knows.

TBH if you already have a H100 I would not bother upgrading to the H100i it does not offer much benefit other than it looks a bit better. I would imagine decent fans on a H100 will give the same results as the H100i.

Yeah. I'm in two minds. On one hand I have no noise issues with my H100 and temperatures at idle are between 19-26C (see here: http://imgur.com/Zwx09) (though I haven't had time to test load temps properly yet but they were pretty low at around 40-60C running prime95 for a very short duration).

On the other hand I have two other issues: (1) the waterblock 3-step switch does nothing whatsoever to the fan rpm or noise (which according to the corsair forums it is supposed to) and (2) one of the screwholes on the radiator is too big so I've had to secure that fan using the other three and a rubber bushel for the fourth to prevent vibration. It would have been nice to fix all these problems with the new cooler. Especially since I'm able to get a refund for the old one.

Also I think the primary reason I wanted the H100i was the kickass appearance of the waterblock, the far improved rubber tubes and the rgb led lighting as I'm trying to refine my black and red colour theme in a subtle fashion without blatant led strips or cold cathode tubes in the case. Appearance matters if you're an aesthetic junkie like me. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I have given up with the H100i completely now it's just another piece of untested crap released by corsair.

They must have had these issues at product testing as everyone is having them, this device was either not tested or they just thought sod it and released it anyway.

I'm sending mine back and will await the NZXT Kraken, between the H100 issues and now the H100i issues Corsair will not be getting any more of my money.

Soldato
I have given up with the H100i completely now it's just another piece of untested crap released by corsair.

They must have had these issues at product testing as everyone is having them, this device was either not tested or they just thought sod it and released it anyway.

I'm sending mine back and will await the NZXT Kraken, between the H100 issues and now the H100i issues Corsair will not be getting any more of my money.

With there track record you have to ask? They knew there were problems and they don't care. All they want is to keep the cashflow working. Sorry but all of yo buying this new piece of junk without waiting to see how it performs just proves how gullible the buying market is. Why would anybody knowing how bad Corsair Hydro cooler have been buy a new release without at least seeing some test results ... or better yet waiting for some other poor dumb newbie to fall prey to all the Corsair hype.

I haven't seen a single test review of H100i yet. Obviously nobody got any before they started selling. And all the problems showing up now sure make me believe Corsair was pulling the wool over our eyes big time.

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't seen a single test review of H100i yet. Obviously nobody got any before they started selling. And all the problems showing up now sure make me believe Corsair was pulling the wool over our eyes big time.

This is why I'm waiting. I want to know if the buzzing noise is the supplied fans or the on-board fan controller.

If it's the fans then I'm ok as I won't be using supplied fans. I'll be using fans I know are ok with PWM based control

Edit: Just read elsewhere, someone plugged the stock fans into standalone PWM based controller and the fan noise was still present. So it looks like it's a fan issue rather than the cooler. Corsair have a software update that supposedly allieviates the fan noise but at the time of this post I cannot confirm if this is true.

I won't post a link just in case I break a rule with the elsewhere being a "rival" overclocking site.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just wasted an afternoon fitting the 100i.

I’ve had the fans reversed, fitted to fan headers on the motherboard and all I get is noise. Pump noise, fan noise and the odd rattle. The software sometimes lowers the fan speed, sometimes has more than once instance running and won’t alter the pump speed. It’s a complete pile of poo.

Looks to me as though Corsair have rushed this product out with doing or completing proper testing. It’s a disgrace. It’s been years since I’ve had anything as bad as this. It will be going back on Monday.

I’ve cleaned the fans and radiator on the 100 and it is now back and you can’t hear it. The 100i was like being under the Heathrow flight path. What a complete waste of money. Shame you can’t claim back wasted time.

Associate
Ok. Based on everything I've heard I will not be unpacking mine. And will file an RMA with OCUK to have it returned. This leaves me with the question of what to get instead. Moogleys mentioned the NXZT Kraken but the Kraken 60 has a 280mm radiator which (correct me if I'm wrong) will not fit on the roof of a 650D even though that case does have space for 2x140mm fan. The alternative is a Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme which looks to be my only option. Until then I'll be sticking with my current H100 with the fan controller that never worked. Any thoughts welcome on alternatives and what you guys will be getting instead of a similar form factor.

Soldato
As I did with my H80 I recommend running it without installing it. It is easy to do this, just connect it to the PSU and start the computer. This way you test it and then you are certain. So before you send back a product, just do this. I found mine was fine, but it was good to know.

Associate
So before you send back a product, just do this.

delta0 - thank you so much for suggesting that I do this. I hadn't considered this option and was also being lazy. So you prompted me to stop being lazy and test it. And I'm glad you did! Although not everything went smoothly the final outcome has been positive so I think I will be keeping it subject to one concern as stated below! I elaborate below.

I did a multitude of tests which I detail below for you guys. Note that machine is integrated with H100 at the moment. So all H100i testing took place outside the case.

Test 1 - Corsair Link detection and LED test

Plugged in usb cable from H100i into USB2 MB header. Installed Corsair Link 2.1.7 and it picked up the two fans as well as a bunch of other system stuff. LED configuration works fine and also allows lighting to correspond to load which is nice.

The only issue I had is after rebooting a few times at some point the booting process became excrutiatingly slow. The bios screen would take ages and the windows startup screen would progress painfully slowly. I found that simply removing the usb cable instantly sped it up to normal speed. I don't know why this happened. Maybe it was some kind of conflict between the H100 already plugged in via the cpu fan header and the H100i plugged in at the same time via usb. If anyone knows what's going on here please let me know. I'm hoping once I replace the H100 with the H100i this will work fine.

Test 2 - H100i with 2 H100i stock fans

Test performed outside case.

1. At max rpm while booting - NO GRINDING
  2. At low rpm after booting - GRINDING
  3. At explicit Quiet profile (lowest rpm profile) - GRINDING
  4. At all other profiles faster than Quiet - NO GRINDING
  5. On disconnecting fan cables - NO GRINDING

Test 2 - H100i with 2 H100i stock fans and 2 H100 stock fans

Test performed outside case. Exactly the same results as Test 2

Test 3 - H100i with 2 SP120 fans

This test was performed by disconnecting the two SP120 fans already connected to my current H100 and plugging them into the H100i pump. Then I altered rpm profiles via link and found the results to tbe exactly the same as Test 2 with one difference - SP120 fans make marginally quieter grinding sounds at low rpm.

Test 4 - Pump noise

There is no noticeable pump noise unless you actually hold the pump directly onto your ear in which case there is a slight buzzing noise but as soon as you take it away from your ear it's inaudible so my guess is that this is normal behaviour and the noise would not be audible once inside your case.

Observations

1. The grinding only occurs at the lowest rpm profile. I don't know what that rpm boundary above which grinding doesn't occur but I can tell you that any profile above Quiet (which is the lowest profile) works absolutely fine.
  2. An interesting finding was that once you'd gone higher than the Quiet profile, the next being Balanced, changing to any profile between Balanced and Maximum produced no difference in sound level. So starting from Quiet, you'd hear grinding, then switching to Balanced you'd just hear normal fan noise which would be quiet but then switching to say Maximum which was the highest rpm profile would produce no noticeable increase in noise though it would raise the rpm to around 1250 or so. This is good news. It shows the quality of the fans and proves that only the grinding is a problem.
  3. The corsair link software does detect as many fans as you plug in (in real time) and allows you an impressive degree of system monitoring as well as configurability of your H100i fans. It monitors the cpu fans, the corsair ssd temperatures and also the gpu fans. For the H100i fans it provides a range of around five profiles as well as allowing you to set fixed and % based rpms.

Conclusion

The grinding issue although displeasing can be overcome by switching all fans to the Balanced profile. The Corsair Link software for the first few reboots detected the fans fine and did not affect the performance of the machine at all. But at some point the boot process and windows slowed down to a crawl until the usb cable was removed from the MB header. This is the only thing concerning me now. If I can get assurance that this wouldn't happen without both H100 and H100i plugged in then I would feel better and install the H100i.

Hope that helps you guys out. Delta0 you must be the only lucky guy to get a perfectly working model!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom