VX2835wm prob since new update.

Soldato
Got a ViewSonic VX2835wm just updated my Xbox and now I can only select 480p via HDMI :confused: Tried my Elite and Premium on the same monitor and it’s the same story only 480p selectable, what the heck has happened? Was fine before the update. :(

Soldato
There are several firmware revisions of the 2835, the earlier ones don't report the EDID information correctly over HDMI, thus the 360 won't know what resolutions it supports..

My used to be like this before NXE, so I used a VGA lead.. With NXE, it seemed to ignore the EDID info and give me a choice of resolutions.. are you saying the latest HDMI audio fix update breaks it again :(

It is definitely an issue firstly with the viewsonic, it just doesn't report the correct supported resolutions to the device connected. Secondly MS could allow this to be forced, but I guess it may affect other users in difference ways!

[edit] Oh, yeah, same for me :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep its broke it again :( :(

How much warranty with these things! Mine's 18 months old, if it's in warranty, I'll be a complaining ;)

[edit] 3 years warranty.. right, I'll be on the blower Monday morning!... this is 100% the monitors fault, it says HDMI, 1080p yada, yada, yada... in the specifications, and can't manage that over HDMI

I have modified EDID on other monitors via PowerStrip, so may look at that! if anyone has a new VX2835 and can use Powerstrip to get the EDID info, that would save a lot of hassle!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mine is only around 5 months old, was bough on the HDMI capabilities so yes it’s a joke the monitor doesn’t work properly via HDMI :( Please let me know how you get on and I will ring them as well and complain, also mine suffers from the blue screen problem not going to sleep.

6qijba.jpg

Soldato
Mine is only around 5 months old, was bough on the HDMI capabilities so yes it’s a joke the monitor doesn’t work properly via HDMI :( Please let me know how you get on and I will ring them as well and complain, also mine suffers from the blue screen problem not going to sleep.

My Serial is a QFG073....

Same model number etc, but it's 18 months old.. it doesn't have the blue-screen /sleep issue which I know was an early firmware issue, which is very odd!

Soldato
OP
Yep very strange as mine is a newer model but still has the blue screen problem, it’s a cracking monitor despite these issues and I would love to keep it but the HDMI issue is a major one and needs sorting.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well this is a strange reply :confused:

Dear Mr. Fotherby,
Thank you for contacting ViewSonic Technical Support.

I understand you have concerns using your monitor with your xBox. I appreciate that you took time in expressing your concern to us and I will be more than willing to assist you with this.
Please understand that your monitor was designed for computer video only and not tested for game consoles.
For further support on your monitor, kindly contact ViewSonic UK. Their support page is http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/uk/support/Customercare.htm
If you have other technical concerns, feel free to contact us again.
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to assist you.

Sincerely,
Jay-Ralph
ViewSonic Technical Support
(800) 688-6688 (USA)
(866) 463-4775(Canada

Soldato
Well this is a strange reply :confused:
I've had this out with first tier support, and pretty much got the same reply.. As in, they are almost blaming the 360!

However, I am now awaiting a call back from hopefully someone more technical, but oddly, they failed to get back to me today, so I'll be back on the blower monday, and keep trying..

The thing is, there blurb on the website says

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]> [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]True 1080p with HDMI for HD quality video[/FONT]

Cleary, the expectation is, I can plug in an industry standard 1080p source and enjoy HD.. the fact is, you can't..

The exact nature of the problem is the EDID information does not correctly identify the Monitor is capable of receiving 1920*1080..

Ahh sod this, I'll see if I can dig out my Powerstrip registration details, and see if I can modify the EDID..

Soldato
OP
Yep its bad as its sold as 1080p as you mention so you think that an Xbox would work fine with it, I wonder if it’s the same with an PS3? I have hooked up my SkyHD box to test it via HDMI and it works perfect, I may have to borrow a friend’s PS3 and check this, you would think as its 1080p it would just work like plug and play :(

Please keep me informed mate you seem to know what you are doing :D I am dying to get it working I play on a 50’ Plasma but my brother plays on my ViewSonic I hate him playing on my main TV! :D

Soldato
OK!!! Fixed mine at least!

Bit of a faff, but used CCSMon to grab the EDID to a 'viewsonic' dat file, then used viewsonics own EDID tool to overwrite the pretty useless 1152*876@75 Hz mode to 1920 * 1080 @ 60Hz (You change 2 bytes)..

Then used powerstrip to 'update the EDID'.. turn monitor off/on, booted the 360 and hey presto! 1080p!

If you are feeling as brave as I am,

Download Softmccs..
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/lib/softmccs.shtm

and Power strip
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm

1. Open softmccs, it'll take a few seconds, it should show Viewsonic vx2825wm in the top drop down list..
2. File->Save EDID as..
3. Save as type 'Viewsonic EDID File', and save it to a file..
4. e-mail to me

I'll modify it, if it's as easy as mine, then e-mail it back
then..
5. In powerstrip->options->monitor information
6. The drop down bottom left, select "Update EDID", answer yes to the warning, open the (hopefully) returned EDID file, and it'll attempt to update it.

(I am not sure if you need a registered version of powerstrip to enable the 'update EDID', I bought it years ago to do my Toshiba LCD, so it's a fully registered version)

Of course, there is always a risk, but has worked for me.!

Soldato
OK..

I've modded it!

Download it from..

[edit] removed

I changed the supported resolution list from
(38-53) Standard Timing Identification:
1920 X 1200 @60Hz
1680 X 1050 @60Hz
1600 X 1200 @60Hz
1440 X 900 @60Hz
1400 X 1050 @60Hz
1280 X 1024 @60Hz
1280 X 960 @60Hz
1152 X 864 @75Hz
To
(38-53) Standard Timing Identification:
1920 X 1200 @60Hz
1680 X 1050 @60Hz
1600 X 1200 @60Hz
1440 X 900 @60Hz
1400 X 1050 @60Hz
1280 X 1024 @60Hz
1280 X 960 @60Hz
1920 X 1080 @60Hz
Just FYI, I changed bytes 52/53 from 71,4F to D1,C0

Last edited:
Soldato
Just updated the EDID it said it was successful, however it hasn’t done anything :(

Did you unplug the 360? power the monitor off/on, then plug the 360 back in?

Mine's still working?

I could pop your serial number into my EDID, and send you mine if you are still stuck?

My 360 is an Elite if that makes a difference.

Back
Top Bottom