• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4 Hour Old 280 Just Died!?

• Thread starter Thread starter V_R
  • Start date Start date

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Well im gutted..... 4 ******* hours.... :mad:

Got my new BFG 280 GTX from OCuK today, got home uninstalled the 8800 GTX.

Played GTA4 for a few hours and all was well.

Stopped playing GTA, went on the net. Next thing i know the display goes black and turns off.... :eek:

Now i get 1 long and 3 short beeps from MB and no display, PC seems to boot ok as i can shut it down by pressing the right keys. Lucky i know to press the pwer button, right arrow and enter! lol

Its just done it so i CBA to start messing with it now, will tackle it tomorrow... at least i can put the GTX back in.....

So, where do i stand with OCUK? They have no BFG cards in stock now, direct return to BFG then?

:(

You could DSR for a refund. Or you could RMA to BFG. Or you could deal with OcUK regarding an RMA for an alternative card.
You could contact them via webnote or the new forum.

Yeah me either willhub - but there are a few posts on the subject... prolly just coincidence but makes me further reluctant to play the game.

My 8800 has done similar since starting GTA4. However, it's always fixed by a restart. Still don't understand how GTA4 is screwing up the card so much (and the game still looks pretty ****!). Hope it's a coincidence, my BFG GTX280 is arriving today and I don't want to break it just yet!

Well it played fine, the card died when i was on the net, Ironically i was replying to the 280 thread saying how impressed i was!! lol

Tried restarting the pc a few times, just did the same beeps, 1 long 3 short.

one thing i did notice was the fan was going flat out, even when i was on the net, was starting to bug me, then it slowed down and about a minute later the display went off....

Temps were fine, as the fan was going full tilt it only maxed out at 50 or 55....That was in game. On desktop the clocks dropped right down to very low levels yet the fan continued to run at 100%.

Phoned OC today, RMA is mine, card going back tomorrow. Being sent to USA as i understand it. :(

Last edited:
What kind of PSU do you have as 280 draws a lot more than an 8800GTX. Reminds me of a few years ago when Star Wars Battlefront blew my PSU up (literally) as I had just upgraded to a 6800GT which needed a lot more power than my PSU at the time could handle and exploded!! Then 2 years ago when I got a 8800GTX it kept shutting my PC down until I bought a more powerful PSU. From memory think you need 34A on the 18V rails minimum for 8800GTX & 36A for a stock GTX280.

Last edited:
Its a Corsair HX620W, i was assured it was ok on here before i ordered....

That psu is fine with your gpu, check my sig as I have the same combo and then some.

Sorry to hear about the duff card, the fact that the fan was flat out even while browsing points to it being faulty rater than the psu. If I was you I'd RMA it via BFG if you want to stick with a GTX280 that is. In my experience they have a very quick turnaround.

Well like i said above, i phoned OCUK this morning, they have sorted an RMA. But they said it will have to go back to the US, so looks like ill be back to the 8800GTX for a couple of weeks..... :(

Well like i said above, i phoned OCUK this morning, they have sorted an RMA. But they said it will have to go back to the US, so looks like ill be back to the 8800GTX for a couple of weeks..... :(

They can't make you post it back to the US. Send it back to them for a refund/exchange.

Overslop: Sorry, thats what i mean, im sending it to them. He said they will send it back to BFG. :)

Reality|Bites: Hmmmm, why didn't i think of that? How much they gonna be? :D

Erm I take it you have been able to test the hx620 in another pc then or using another graphics card ? as to me it sounds like the psu may have gone pop.

Back
Top Bottom