• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Microstutter in crossfire setups

Soldato
Hey guys,

What is this microstutter I keep hearing about when referring to xfire setups?

My brother has a 5850 in his system and said I can have it because he doesn't play games anymore.

Is it it worth taking it off him and crossfiring it with my current 5850 or will I get this microstutter?

Cheers for any info!

Man of Honour
Microstutter is generally blown out of proportion - not to say it doesn't exist, but most of the time its very low levels.

Associate
Used 5770 and now 6850 crossfire and ive never noticed microstutter with either setup.

I'd take it in a flash if I was you and give it try, if you dont like it take the card out and stick with the single.

Soldato
Hey guys,

What is this microstutter I keep hearing about when referring to xfire setups?

My brother has a 5850 in his system and said I can have it because he doesn't play games anymore.

Is it it worth taking it off him and crossfiring it with my current 5850 or will I get this microstutter?

Cheers for any info!

I've written more than I ever intended about microstutter (see this thread for example, or search for any number of lengthy discussions on these forums). But, in short:

* Microstutter is the name given to irregular frame output. With two or more GPUs working in the "alternate frame rendering" (AFR) mode that both Nvidia and AMD use, frames are not always output evenly. You can get one frame, then a very short gap until the next frame, then a longer gap until the next one, and so on.

* This effect makes the game seem less smooth for a given framerate than if the frames were output evenly.

* Unless the framerate is very low, so that you can see individual frames, you won't be able to look at a game scene and say "hey this is microstuttering!" - it simply makes your game scene appear less smooth for a given framerate. Or, conversely, you need a slightly higher framerate for the game to seem as smooth as with a single GPU. This is the main reason for so much misunderstanding about microstutter.

* The amount of microstutter can vary significantly from game to game. But, in most circumstances that it occurs, you're looking at an effective reduction in smoothness equivalent to around 10-25% in comparison to a regular frame output (see the thread I linked to for quantitative details).

* Bear in mind that the amount of performance you will gain from adding a second card will almost always be much larger than the 10-25% effective drop from microstutter. In almost every case, you DO get an improvement in smoothness from adding a second card. So, it's well worthwhile.

* ...The real question comes when considering dual-GPU setups of low-end cards when a single high-end card can offer similar performance. In these cases, the effectove value of the dual-card setup is somewhat less than benchmarks may lead you to believe (since they only measure the raw number of frames output and take no account of "smoothness" effects caused by irregular frame output). In these cases it is often better to consider a single higher-end GPU.

* Microstutter disappears almost entirely whenever the GPU is made to wait between frames. In these circumstances the output from the GPUs syncs up to the regular output of whatever is holding them back. The most common two circumstances where this occurs are: 1) When vsync is enabled, 2) When the CPU is limiting the framerate (again, see that thread for more quantitativ details).

Anyway, that's the long and short of microstutter. To answer your original question: Yes, you will still see an improvement from adding the second 5850. So go for it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As a generalisation yes as it forces a constant 16.6667ms between frame updates (With 60Hz), it also helps at lower framerates as VSync will adjust in multiples still forcing a constant length gap however its not entirely as cut and dried as that.

Soldato
Just in case it wasn't made clear... microstutter affects both companies products, it isn't Crossfire specific, it also affects SLI as well.

I would take note of what Duff-man has to say on the topic given he's run many tests on the issue :)

Soldato
I would start by using the 10.5a (or 10.5 hotfix as they are officially called) drivers, as these are the last decent drivers for these cards that 'I' know of. The very latest one's might work fine, but best to start with a known working set :)

Back
Top Bottom