Be Broadband

Soldato
It gets me a lower sync speed and occasional drops.
Can u explain a bit more gurusan, I don't understand? I think I understand the drops bit?

You mean your Be-Box just stops working?

[edit] I know Netgear make good stuff but what can their ADSL router do that the BE-Box cant? and how much are u paying for this thing?

Last edited:
Soldato
With the BeBox I sync about 800-1mbit slower than my netgear DG834GT (about 14800-14900 vs 15600-15900). And by drops I mean that it's more sensitive to noise in the line...during peak hours my SNR drops almost 2 dB and the BeBox fusses and resets sometimes (not stops working, just resets to re-establish the connection). Whereas my netgear has seen as low as 4.0dB and not dropped me.

Soldato
With the BeBox I sync about 800-1mbit slower than my netgear DG834GT (about 14800-14900 vs 15600-15900)

I find it hard to believe the broadband would be faster with another router?

Its just that I didn't have problems like this? so when I see people dissing the Be-Box I have to chime in with my positive feedback before some more people jump on the hate bandwagon.

Where is this *sync* info found?

Soldato
Just noticed the window I was reading from was not maximised and I wasn't reading all the info:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 20235 kbps 1325 kbps
Line Attenuation 27.5 db 10.8 db
Noise Margin 6.1 db 6.8 db

Soldato
I find it hard to believe the broadband would be faster with another router?

Its just that I didn't have problems like this? so when I see people dissing the Be-Box I have to chime in with my positive feedback before some more people jump on the hate bandwagon.

Where is this *sync* info found?

The BeBox is not a "bad" router. It's just that it's not as good as the NetGear IMO.

Your sync speeds will be displayed under "Broadband connection".

The main reason I like the Netgear is because of the custom firmware which allows me to tweak the connection a bit.

Soldato
found it:

beboxsyncxq0.jpg

what bit do u tweak?

Soldato
Well you can't tweak anything with the BeBox, that's why I like the Netgear. On my DG834GT I can tweak the target SNR...not exactly sure how it works but I can reduce the SN Margin which gives me a faster sync speed.

Are you with Be right now? You should be getting way more than 8.2mb with your line stats.

***edit*** oh you're on the basic package :) There's not much you can do to tweak your connection further...you're already getting the fastest speed you can. Although if you do a lot of gaming you might want to consider moving to fastpath. It can shave quite a bit off ping times.

Last edited:
Soldato
if you do a lot of gaming you might want to consider moving to fastpath. It can shave quite a bit off ping times.
I'm not sure about that fastpath? seems to be another jump on the bandwagon thingie and Tolien doesn't seem to think its all that?

Talking of pings, not sure why mine has doubled over the past month or two, always used to be 10-15ms?

pingeu3.jpg

I should really test it in game because maybe its just something to do with Speedtest.net?

Soldato
Yeah I dunno why your pings have gone up, it could be related to something completely different.

Also switching to fastpath may or may not make a difference. For me it brought my ping on a CoD4 server from 60-70 to low 40s....

The thing that's nice about Be is that if you want to switch back you just place a ticket and it will only take a day or so for them to switch you.

Soldato
Ah good stuff, can u point me to the bit of goobledeegook you worked that out from please? :)

Attenuation and SN margin

Your current attenuation is 21.5...which is very good. Mine is 30-33db and I still get almost 16mbit.

Your SN margin is also not bad at all (7.5)...if it drops below 6db then it can cause problems.

Soldato
Attenuation and SN margin

Your current attenuation is 21.5...which is very good. Mine is 30-33db and I still get almost 16mbit.

Your SN margin is also not bad at all (7.5)...if it drops below 6db then it can cause problems.
beboxsync2ah9.jpg

Ah I see, are those two important stats to look at then, thanks will keep an eye on that and read up to try and understand what they mean! :)

Attenuation = low better

SN margin = Higher Better

Is that right or?

Last edited:
Soldato
yup thats right.

oh wait I was looking at the wrong attenuation. Your downstream attenuation is very high....I'm not sure you would notice much of an increase if you upgraded. Sorry :(

Soldato
Your downstream attenuation is very high....I'm not sure you would notice much of an increase if you upgraded. Sorry :(
its alright, so the figure you meant to look at reads 41.5dB hmmm

Is that something I can fix/adjust or is that because I live a bit far from my exchange?

[edit] or is it the be-box lol! :D

Back
Top Bottom