The Opteron system can do RAID 5.

Getting some reasonable CPU Temps:

IDLE

Core 0: 38C
Core 1: 40C

LOAD

Core 0: 48C
Core 1: 49C

Thats after 2 hours Orthos. The HDD's hover around 32C with 2X 160GB's running in RAID1. Going to order the extra 3 HDD's next week.

Associate
OP
Hmm every spec (on websites selling this server) say the ML115 G5 has Raid 0,1,5. When I order the additional drives, i'll check for sure.

Soldato
Ok, got my 8GB this morning and it works perfectly, RAID is supported on 4 of the 6 ports and it supports RAID 5. Gonna install Hyper-v, Xen or Virtual Iron later when I get back from town.

Associate
OP
Nice one mate :)

Let me know how you get on. Im thinking about putting on VMWare ESX Server or something. Virtual Iron looks interesting though, how does it compare to ESX?

Last edited:
Associate
Have one of these for work/learning but was thinking of sticking a decent enough graphics card in it to play games sometimes. Purely used laptops for the last few years, thought it'd be good to get some counter strike use out of it and go back to oldskool...

The PSU is 365Watts. Is there any hope of running a 8600GTS or a Radeon 3850 (I know they recommend a 400Watt for this one)?

Associate
Hi All,

Bit late to this thread but I bought an ML115 G0 about 3 weeks with the same idea, for VMware,

Bought 2GB of EEC Memory, sound card and basic PCI graphics card ATI 2400, running Vista Premium,

Really loud on first boot but then quietens down, really pleased,

Had a really odd problem to start with, as I don't like mixing brands of memory I just had the extra 2GB in, but on first boot after the power was turned on it didn't recognise the Graphics Card always started in VGA mode in Vista, reboot and next time it picked up the card and booted up just fine,

I then put the original memory in filling all slots and now its fine, odd :confused::confused:

Sorry to thread hijack but do you think its worth contacting HP ref the ilo card offer, mine was a few weeks prior ?

Associate
OP
Molloyster, I am not sure how good the PSU's are in these machines but dave-lew99 mentioned he had to upgrade the PSU's for new graphics cards.

AndyC, Strange memory issue but glad its sorted. The stock BIOS on the G5's is a bit old so updating it might help in future. As for the management card, its worth giving them a call.

Soldato
I have bought quite a lot of the ml 110 and 115 servers for use with a single MSSQL database and windows sbs 2003 r2 standard ed ususally serving 5 users or so.
The 110 and 115 are very similar spec wise, 512mb pc2-6400 ECC unbuffered and 160gb sata drive, not that the hdd's are sata 1 not sata 2 so there is a slight performance hit.
The servers I send out are usually loaded with 4 raptors and at least 3gb ram so the psu is more than up to the task.
My pet machine besides my hp notebook is a 110 loaded out with 4 250gb caviars striped with a couple of gig ram and windows xp, it boots very quickly for a server and has a smaller footprint than a dc7800 convertible tower.
The downside of the ml 1xx series (if you call it a downside of a server that costs 99 quid) is that there is no onboard sound nor parallel card, few pci slots means not an awful lot of expansion but for what they cost they are excellent.

Associate
OP
Can anyone confirm if x86osx runs on these?

Cheers
Zaf,

This guy got it to run, not much info on how he did it though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7haidZ10A

brendy, Aye the expansion is somewhat limited but on the ML115 G5 you get PCI Express 16X, PCI Express 8X, PCI-X and a regular PCI Slot.

Glad to hear the PSU is upto the job of powering a couple of HDD's. Was having second thoughts on ordering the extra ones. The current 2 are being worked really hard, constant 50%+ disk usage :\

Soldato
anyone know how many disks it can take inside? ie how much room is there? need to put a SCSI card in there if we get one so it'll need space for one of them too

Back
Top Bottom