C1E Suppport : Disabled
CPU TM Function : Disabled
Vanderpool Technology : Disabled
Execute Disable Bit : Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit : Disabled

USB Configuration
USB Functions: Enabled
Legacy USB Support : Disabled

For some reason im having some stability problems @4Ghz.

What bios are you using?

Associate
Those settings look to be for 9 x 333 = 3.0Ghz....i.e. standard speed.

What FPO did you get Dave and was it from here ??

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Those settings look to be for 9 x 333 = 3.0Ghz....i.e. standard speed.

Correct, should have read.

FSB Frequency : 445
FSB Strap to North Bridge : 333

i was going off memory.

For some reason im having some stability problems @4Ghz.

What bios are you using?

Ive tried the 1207 maximus bios and the rampage 0410, results were the same for both.

Ive now tried an Asus P5Q Deluxe and suprisingly its not as stable as my Maximus formula. Its needs more vcore to be stable at 4ghz.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Got my chip prime stable now @4Ghz with 1.275v so quite happy with that. Seems the limiting factor is my motherboard as I had to bump up the volts on the NB quite a bit to get it stable.

Hows your overclocking going Devious?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ive not got any further with it because this P5Q is a dissapointment, i thought the P45's were supposed to be the FSB kings.

I'm might try another board before i sell this and move on to my next chip, but im busy trying to get my priest to lvl 70 in WoW atm lol.

Permabanned
Ive not got any further with it because this P5Q is a dissapointment, i thought the P45's were supposed to be the FSB kings.

I'm might try another board before i sell this and move on to my next chip, but im busy trying to get my priest to lvl 70 in WoW atm lol.

Strange I thought the P45's were ment to clock really well. What board are you going for next? Surely your not going to sell your Q9650?

Soldato
OP
Got my chip prime stable now @4Ghz with 1.3v so quite happy with that. Seems the limiting factor is my motherboard as I had to bump up the volts on the NB quite a bit to get it stable.

Thats seems quite high volts for that clock. I think the U.S got the best batches of these where as europe go tthe best E8600's.

Strange I thought the P45's were ment to clock really well. What board are you going for next? Surely your not going to sell your Q9650?

Possibly the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. when they arrive in the shops, some are getting 540+ FSB with 45nm quads on XS but i want to see was the ordinary joe can get first before i believe it.

If that is just hype ill probably have a go with Nehalem.

Permabanned
T
Possibly the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. when they arrive in the shops, some are getting 540+ FSB with 45nm quads on XS but i want to see was the ordinary joe can get first before i believe it.

If that is just hype ill probably have a go with Nehalem.

Will have to keep my eyes open about that Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. How much does it retail for?

As for Nehalem I could not give a monkeys about that yet - far to expensive for what you get. Better off waiting a year til bugs/refreshes come out.

:)

Caporegime
Nice clocks here but its still a tad dull IMO as in old s775 tech and 4ghz is just so damn easy as Devious has pointed out.

Scoobie its only the mobo pricing that is letting the Nehalem down the chips are in fact cheaper that the Q9650:p

Soldato
OP
Will have to keep my eyes open about that Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P. How much does it retail for?

As for Nehalem I could not give a monkeys about that yet - far to expensive for what you get. Better off waiting a year til bugs/refreshes come out.

:)

Looks like it will retail around £110-120, a bargain if the hype is correct.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2919

The main difference over other motherboard is it 2oz copper PCB (all other boards are 1oz) whether this equals extra FSB and stablitlity time will tell.

Permabanned
Nice clocks here but its still a tad dull IMO as in old s775 tech and 4ghz is just so damn easy as Devious has pointed out.

Scoobie its only the mobo pricing that is letting the Nehalem down the chips are in fact cheaper that the Q9650:p

Still going to wait personally. Still expensive in my eyes for 10% boost in performance if that. No big deal really for the outlay.

As for my Q9650 I picked it up well cheap (under £300) so had a bargain there.

Im still very happy with 775 tech :D

Permabanned
I reckon the DFI Lanparty DK P45-T2RS Plus will be a good motherboard for these chips as well. I wish people would do reviews of quads instead of dual core! Looks more sexy than the Gigashite board too! :p

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=873

DFI-Lanparty-DK-P45-T2RS-Plus-Mothe.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Installed a UD3P tonight and at last ive managed to boot at 500FSB with my Q9650 which i couldnt get near with my Asus boards. (booted @ 515x6)

Ive left nearly everything on auto in the bios (which i read most people were doing) which impressed me but then ive just installed easytune and looking at that its raised some of voltages to scary levels:eek: which probably explains the 500FSB.

Its not stable at all, it will run prime small FFT for a few mins before BSOD but blend fails instantly.

Soldato
OP
So Devious you would recommend that I get a UD3P then?

Seen them about they are only about £115.

I need to ditch my X38. :D

Ive only had an hour on it so far but first impressions are good and it is way more stable than the Asus P5Q. :)

It boots at upto 515fsb with 6x muti too but until i can get it stable it doesnt really count. i need to try the latest F5A bios.

Also i need to compare xfire 3D performance against my x38.

Back
Top Bottom