Broke the SATA connection on my hard drive!

Associate
Hello.

Earlier in the day when I was trying to sort out some of the hardware inside my PC, I accidently broken the SATA connection to my main hard drive. The model is the Hitachi Deskstar P7K500 320GB SATA-II OEM, which I bought from OCUK back in July.

Basically the extremely important plastic bit that sticks out along the 7 pins of the SATA connection got broken off and as you can tell, the SATA cable will be unable to connect. Even the pins are slightly bent which makes it more troublesome. I frustratingly tried to find a few ways to make sure a SATA cable is able to stick on somehow (i.e. electrical tape) but obviously it just won't work.

So I guess now my only option is to RMA the drive back to Hitachi? I don't know what their policy is concerning any slight damages to the drive, especially when its my own stupid fault, so I just wanted to know if I can RMA to replace it or not?

The drive only has the Windows O/S and games installed and nothing important so I'm not to worried about losing all that. I'm just really angry at how crap SATA connections really are.

Associate
I've seen this happen to quite a few drives.

I've fixed it on all occasions like so:

1. Straighten the SATA pins, and then bend them down slightly (toward the pins on the plug)
2. Put a SATA plug in place, make sure it's lined up perfectly
3. Glue it in place with a hot glue gun
4. Loop the SATA lead to somewhere else on the drive and either glue it there with the glue gun or tape it there, this will relieve stress on the connector so you can freely connect and disconnect the drive without disturbing the repair.

Glue Guns are great for bodge repairs like this, they dry fast enough to hold temporary connections in place, and strong enough to hold it indefinitely.

It's not pretty, but I've done this a few times, and those drives are still going strong.

Soldato
Possibly related: is it possible to remove the platters from a mechanically damaged drive such as the OPs, and put them into a different hard drive case like a "disk transplant"? Assuming of course both drives have the same interface, spin speed, etc.

Permabanned
Possibly related: is it possible to remove the platters from a mechanically damaged drive such as the OPs, and put them into a different hard drive case like a "disk transplant"? Assuming of course both drives have the same interface, spin speed, etc.

If you have a clean room that's cleaner than a hospitals operating theatre like NASA/Intel/HDD Manu's etc etc have. ;)

Associate
OP
You can still get IDE hard drives if you don't get on with SATA connections...

I still use IDE drives, but they are mainly for important data storage/backup. I specifically want to use SATA for the main O/S drive and games.

I've seen this happen to quite a few drives.

I've fixed it on all occasions like so:

1. Straighten the SATA pins, and then bend them down slightly (toward the pins on the plug)
2. Put a SATA plug in place, make sure it's lined up perfectly
3. Glue it in place with a hot glue gun
4. Loop the SATA lead to somewhere else on the drive and either glue it there with the glue gun or tape it there, this will relieve stress on the connector so you can freely connect and disconnect the drive without disturbing the repair.

Glue Guns are great for bodge repairs like this, they dry fast enough to hold temporary connections in place, and strong enough to hold it indefinitely.

It's not pretty, but I've done this a few times, and those drives are still going strong.

Unfortunately I don't have a glue gun and it probably looks like too much hassle. Cause of my fiddling about trying to fix it, some of the pins are now too bent that I doubt it will even line up properly with the SATA plug. If anything, I will just make things worse i.e. probably short circuit or something.

So am I able to just RMA it for a replacement? I've never RMA'd a hard drive before so I just wanted to check what the policies are to be able to do so.

Associate
You won't get a free replacement... it's accidental damage, not failure.

You're stuck I'm afraid... But for what it's worth, I agree that the SATA connector isn't strong enough, and is badly designed.

Associate
No he won't. The data isn't stored on the connector is it.
I'd try and source a control board with the same firmware for your drive from a well known auction site and swap it over. It should then read fine.

This man speaks the truth!

seen this done before!

Associate
I'd try and source a control board with the same firmware for your drive from a well known auction site and swap it over. It should then read fine.

This. I've done it on an Maxtor where I burned out the Smooth chip. Unfortunately the website I got it from ( http://www.softcom.com.my/ ) doesn't seem to do Hitachi stuff. They do say to e-mail for other makes though.

Soldato
I was in the same situation. The cable got pulled at 90 degrees to the plug and the plastic bit got snapped off. However, I managed to line the pins up with what is now the small holes in the cable with the plastic tab snapped of inside and it worked fine. I teased the plug back out about half a mm and put a couple of drops of liquid superglue in and pushed it in hard. I can't remove the cable from the drive anymore, but it's still going strong.

Soldato

What I meant was if you RMA it. Since you are very unlikely to get the exact same drive fixed and returned to you . . .
Considering I was the first reply and everyone suggested AFTER that to replace the board . . . . :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom