Keysonic Wireless Keyboard/Touchpad questions for HTPC

Caporegime
Anyone using one?

Build quality?

Vista?

Thoughts?

I want the Dinovo edge but at 100 smackers I can't bring myself to hit the buy button!:eek:

Keysonic Wireless Keyboard/Touchpad

Look ok for HTPC use?

Is it plasticky?

Any other ideas?

:cool:

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone using one?
Yes

Build quality?
Not bad. no complaints with it anyway in this area. Maybe the touchpad buttons aren't the nicest, but keys are fine.

Vista?
Yep works fine

Thoughts?
I have the 2.4Ghz version and its range is pathetic. the dongle is an unobstructed 2.5metres away and it misses a lot of keystrokes unless i angle it upwards which makes it awkward to use.
I know there is now a bluetooth version, maybe that's better i don't know but i wouldn't buy this one again.
Also I don't like having the FN key in the bottom left corner where the ctrl button should be.

Look ok for HTPC use?
Looks fine. Nice and compact and can be tucked away.

Is it plasticky?
Yes, especially the touchpad buttons.

Any other ideas?Bluetooth version may be better in terms of range which is my major complaint in this version.
I wouldn't get the dinovo cos its too small. I mainly use a keyboard for configuration but its surprising how much tweaking you do with a HTPC so a good keyboard is still needed IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
Build quality: The wireless receiver thingy is not the strongest thing in the world

Vista: yes

Thoughts: it's ok. I sit about 2.5m and it seems to pick up the majority of key strokes ok for me. The dongle is in a closed tv unit. Only seems to wake up when hitting a key on the keyboard not by using the mouse.

Looks: ok just looks like a laptop keyboard

Plasticky: a little bit.

Summary: It's alright for the money.

Man of Honour
Yes, good, nice feel and build quality.
Would I buy one again NO.

If you leave it alone for to long. Then you have to press the white button on the usb key to establish the link again. Pain in the rear if it isn't easily accessible. In retrospect I would have rather got a keyboard that would stay connected and have a recharging station.

Apart from that though it is very good.

Soldato
wanted one, tried one, not buying one. im using a dinovo for notebooks at the moment and even that (specifically the mouse) has problems with range, i think its just getting too much interferance from the router and 20 tonnes of electrical equipiment in my front room, but it still isnt as bad as my friends keysonic!

im still looking for a keyboard. ive decided it has to be bluetooth. its going to be a dinovo edge i can just see it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, good, nice feel and build quality.
Would I buy one again NO.

If you leave it alone for to long. Then you have to press the white button on the usb key to establish the link again. Pain in the rear if it isn't easily accessible. In retrospect I would have rather got a keyboard that would stay connected and have a recharging station.

Apart from that though it is very good.

How odd - I just tap Esc a couple of time and it springs back to life :confused:

Agree with all the other comments above - will add that it is actually quite robust - my 'little 'un' has given it a good going over and it's still fine (apart from a sticky 'L' key :rolleyes:)

Pug

Pug

Soldato
have used these and they';re fine.

However recently i reccpmended/bought a toshiba equibalent for my dad. Got it from the purple shirted shop, and i think i prefer it to the keysonic.

Its metal cased, with touch slide volume and built in track pad.

Better than the keysonic, which is ok, this is just better...

Toshiba PA3705D-1

cf291.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if we're all talking about the same one, but here's what I use... I believe it's the ACK-540RF model.

keysonic.jpg

I use it on a Mac Mini which I'm using as an HTPC. It's USB not Bluetooth, but I've not had any problems with reception and I sit on my sofa which is probably about 2 metres from the Mac, which itself sits inside a TV cabinet and has the USB port is at the back.

As already said by others, yes it is plasticky but I think the build quality is awesome and I don't find it cheap and flimsy.

I've got no idea if it works in Vista, but it works outta the box in both OS X and Linux, including the handy scroll bar on the side of the trackpad.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is waking it up from sleep requires a press of a key as moving the mouse doesn't seem to register. Tis only a very minor niggle though.

Unlike others, I would gladly buy one again as I've found mine to be very useful.

Hope that helps.

Soldato
Not sure if we're all talking about the same one, but here's what I use... I believe it's the ACK-540RF model.

keysonic.jpg

I use it on a Mac Mini which I'm using as an HTPC. It's USB not Bluetooth, but I've not had any problems with reception and I sit on my sofa which is probably about 2 metres from the Mac, which itself sits inside a TV cabinet and has the USB port is at the back.

As already said by others, yes it is plasticky but I think the build quality is awesome and I don't find it cheap and flimsy.

I've got no idea if it works in Vista, but it works outta the box in both OS X and Linux, including the handy scroll bar on the side of the trackpad.

The only thing that doesn't seem to work is waking it up from sleep requires a press of a key as moving the mouse doesn't seem to register. Tis only a very minor niggle though.

Unlike others, I would gladly buy one again as I've found mine to be very useful.

Hope that helps.

I've got one and it works in Viista and Windows 7

Associate
have used these and they';re fine.

However recently i reccpmended/bought a toshiba equibalent for my dad. Got it from the purple shirted shop, and i think i prefer it to the keysonic.

Its metal cased, with touch slide volume and built in track pad.

Better than the keysonic, which is ok, this is just better...

Toshiba PA3705D-1

cf291.jpg

Whats the mouse like on this keyboard. Any good for playing games on ?

Soldato
I've got a Gyration wireless keyboard and remote for mine. Gyration remote works a bit like a wii remote, just wave it about in the air - I find it a lot better than a touchpad, especially on a high res screen. You can also use it as a universal remote for your TV, DVD, Satelite etc.
Keyboard is great too, compact and the range and batteries go the distance. Only use it for web browsing though, all the media stuff i can do with the remote.

The set is expensive, but less than a Dinovo.

Caporegime
OP
The Keysonic BT 540 bluetooth keyboard came today and its all installed.Took about 30 seconds.

Must say its a nice bit if kit for the money,

Typing on it now. No problems nice build quality and nice black sleek looks.

So far so good. :)

Back
Top Bottom