• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 920 to i7 965 - Big difference?

Associate
Hi, i was wondering why is there such a huge price gap between the
i7 920 and the i7 965.... is the price over exaggerated or is it worth it :rolleyes:

Big difference between the 2 or not a lot

Thanks for any replies :cool:

Soldato
The 965 is Intel's premium chip. It's targeted at luxury systems and extreme overclockers. It has a fully unlocked multiplier (both up and down).

There's really no point in buying one unless you have a lot of cash to throw away as the 920 overclocks nearly as well and is far, far cheaper :)

Man of Honour
There is the potential for the chip to overclock further as a result of its higher multiplier. Some see this as worth the extra £500.

For those who don't overclock, it's simply a matter of more MHz = faster chip = better perceived performance... not that it makes much difference with Core i7, but hey.

For overclockers who conform to the 'budget' type (i.e. thos who wring the last drop of performance out of the cheapest components), there is no sense in it. However, I would have thought such people would stick to Core 2...

Man of Honour
What was the whole point in the 940? :)

Way back when the i7s were being prepped for release, the 940 was a stop-gap, as such, between the 965 and the 920, as it didn't have the clock speed of the 965 but had its memory bandwidth - something the 920 did not.

Now, however, motherboard manufacturers have simply enabled the 'options' at a BIOS level that allow the 920 the prodigious bandwith of its faster siblings. As such, there is no real point in having the 940.

Associate
What's the cost to them of providing an unlocked multiplier though? Looking at amd surely next to nothing and for this they charge a £500 premium. This is just price gouging to the exreme :rolleyes:

Soldato
What's the cost to them of providing an unlocked multiplier though? Looking at amd surely next to nothing and for this they charge a £500 premium. This is just price gouging to the exreme :rolleyes:

It doesn't cost them anything. The 920's are simply slightly weaker chips that didn't quite make the grade. The way they price it, they have to provide some incentive for people to go with the premium chips, so they just lock the multipliers on 920's and 940's, and make massive profits on any 965's sold. If they wanted to, they could sell the 965's at 920 prices and they wouldn't make any losses, since it costs them the same to manufacture both. 965 chips are probably rarer, but they all come from the same wafer, whether the chips are 920 or 965.

It's similar to the ATI 4890, 4870, 4850, 4830 thing. They're all made the same, but the lesser performing ones are sold at a lower price.

Caporegime
There's some good information here:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/blog/2009/02/26/intel-core-i7-temperatures/

Intel manufactures a large wafer of semiconductor material, which is then sliced up into pieces to make their CPUs. Due to standard margins of error caused by everything from humidity to gravity, the quality of the material varies over the surface of the wafer. When they build the CPU, they have to test it to see how good the quality is. The impurities and imperfections cause the CPU to run at higher temperatures, so they name the CPU based on its quality. If it tests extremely well, they program it to be a Core i7 965 CPU. If it doesn’t test as well, they program it to be a Core i7 920 CPU. This process is called “binning.” This doesn’t mean that the 920 CPUs are low quality…each CPU is thoroughly tested for the speed at which it will be running. I could even speculate that since we don’t see a supply shortage on 965 CPUs, that they have a surplus and are likely using chips that qualify as 965 to make 940 and 920 CPUs at times.

The point, however, is that each “bin” has some variation to it. If you have a CPU that just barely made the cut to be called a 940, it will run quite hot as a 940. If it just missed the mark to be a 940, they call it a 920 and it will run very cool as a 920. In practice, we see as much as a 10-20C variation in temperature per CPU when cooled with an Intel stock cooler. That’s a big difference! Again, that doesn’t mean that the hotter CPUs will not work just fine, but it does mean that it is very difficult to answer the question: what temperatures are normal?

What we have found is that Intel Core i7 CPUs have extremely good temperature tolerance. Not only are they made with a Hi-K silicon which is able to withstand higher temperatures, but they have very good power management. There are more transistors dedicated to power management on Core i7 CPUs than there were transistors in the original Pentium Pro CPU! What we’ve found is that the Intel Core i7 CPUs throttle down their speed starting at 100C. So, 100C is the maximum operating temperature of Intel Core i7. However, due to the great power management, we have never seen instability due to temperature. We can run full stress testing at 100C and have no errors. Of course, that’s not a good idea, but my point is that the excellent management features reduce the risk of high temperature.

In reality I would confidently say that the i7 965 is definitely NOT worth it, but if you have the money and want to be guaranteed the cream of the crop...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom