Silverpaw Prediction League 2009-10. Rules, tips and schedule

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The first post in this thread contains the rules for this season's Silverpaw Prediction League, a few tips, and the schedule of rounds. It will be updated if necessary.

The purpose of the competition is to predict the results, including the scores, of all Premier League matches. Any forum member can compete. No registration is necessary; members can predict as often or as infrequently as they like, though regular prediction is more likely to result in higher scores. You can also join in at any time during the season.

Scoring is simply three points for an all correct prediction of a match's scoreline, and one point for a correct result but incorrect score.

One new venture this season is to include mid-week games. This means that all 380 Premier League matches should be covered by the competition.

A separate thread will be started for each week of the competition, and predictions should be made in that thread. The thread will cover weekend games (generally Saturday to Monday) and any games scheduled for the following midweek. For any match, a prediction will be valid if the timestamp of the post is earlier (even by one minute) than the scheduled kick-off time. Beware of editing your posts, as an entire post will be assumed to have the time of the last edit. If you wish to change predictions for later matches after the first match has kicked off, the safe way to do this is to make a separate post. Results and cumulative tables will be included in the appropriate prediction thread.

Threads will usually be opened early in the week preceding the weekend's matches. At holiday times, e.g. August, half-terms, Christmas and Easter, threads will generally be opened a little earlier, so that members going away can have a greater opportunity to make predictions. However, there is nothing to stop anyone from opening a week's prediction thread if you're likely to be absent at a different time. Just make sure "Silverpaw" and the dates of the matches appear in the thread title.

Good luck to all!

Current schedule for the season:

(in all cases Saturday dates include matches rescheduled by one or two days due to television or other requirements)
More midweek games will get scheduled during the season as a result of postponements due to weather and cup matches. Indeed three games have already been postponed from the first midweek programme.

Sat 15 Aug, and following midweek
Sat 22 Aug
Sat 29 Aug
(5 Sep – no games)
Sat 12 Sep
Sat 19 Sep
Sat 26 Sep
Sat 3 Oct
(10 Oct – no games, World Cup qualifiers)
Sat 17 Oct
Sat 24 Oct
Sat 31 Oct - includes one postponed match in following week (H doing results)
Sat 7 Nov (Freakitchen doing results)
(14 Nov – no games)
Sat 21 Nov - includes two postponed midweek games (H)
Sat 28 Nov - includes one postponed midweek game (F)
Sat 5 Dec (H)
Sat 12 Dec, and following midweek F
Sat 19 Dec (H)
Sat 26 Dec (F)
Mon 28 Dec (H)
(2 Jan – no games, FA Cup)
Sat 9 Jan (F)
Sat 16 Jan (H)
Midweek following FA Cup on 23Jan (F)
Sat 30 Jan (H)
Sat 6 Feb, and following midweek (F)
(13 Feb – no games, FA Cup)
Sat 20 Feb (H)
Sat 27 Feb (F)
Sat 6 Mar (H)
Sat 13 Mar (F)
Sat 20 Mar (H)
Sat 27 Mar (F)
Sat 3 Apr (F) (Easter weekend)
Sat 10 Apr (H)
Sat 17 Apr (F)
Sat 24 Apr (H)
Sat 1 May (F)
Sun 9 May (H)

Last edited:
Don
I'm not sure I follow? Does home/away not count?

The 20 teams play against each other. You're counting 1 match twice. For example: Liverpool are away to Spurs on the opening day, Spurs are at home to Liverpool on the opening day; that's only 1 match though, not 2.

Soldato
Does that make a difference?

Yes.

You can only 'ninja' edit your post for a few seconds after posting.

If you edit your post after more than a few minutes, then it will show the time of the edit!

So there is pretty much no way to cheat by editing your posts. If your post says it has been edited after the start deadline, then your prediction doesn't count.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
That's because you've edited them quickly though?

Unless someone posts at 2.59.59 then a goal is scored and then they edit, I can't see many problems. :p
This was my reason for setting a five minute deadline for predictions a few years ago. And this deadline ran for almost two seasons.

But the general feeling early on last season was that we should allow predictions right up to the kick-off time.

And I'm quite sure we don't have any cheats here, do we. :)

Soldato
I don't think it makes much difference, but I've just read the new rules and I think the 1 minute timestamp should be sufficient - assuming the OcUk clock is not slow!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom