Optiplex FX160 sata power problem........

Soldato
Just purchased a Atom 330 based optiplex, uses a sis chipset and allows 4gb ram! Unfortunately it didnt come with a hdd and Dell being dell didnt include a power lead for the hdd, the socket is obviously again being dell non standard is circled in green, just wondering how to go about finding out which pin is what using a multi meter etc, the sata data lead isnt a prob and it does have the hdd caddy so i just need a way to power it, i had thought about trying to power it from the usb ports on the back but can't find a lead to do that either, ive tried phoning dell to see how much a hdd kit is but there next to useless and don't have a clue what im talking about even though it clearly states HDD Kit in the user guide typically no part numbers

fx160a.jpg

sorry about the picture quality

Its a shame as its a lovely looking box and would be ideal for playing divx and music through tv

IMAG0378.jpg

Last edited:
Use a multimeter between the Black wire/s of the 12v CPU header and the pins. Just make sure you shroud the tip of the free probe with electrically insulating tape or tight fitting sleeving so that the pin has to go up inside to touch. Otherwise there's a risk of shorting out between the other pins.

Use a multimeter between the Black wire/s of the 12v CPU header and the pins. Just make sure you shroud the tip of the free probe with electrically insulating tape or tight fitting sleeving so that the pin has to go up inside to touch. Otherwise there's a risk of shorting out between the other pins.

ok gotcha on that one but what am i looking for? will i need all 4 pins to be used as some sata power leads only seem to have 2 wires?

It should have (in no particular order) GND (0v) 12v, 5v and 3.3v

Thats your 4 pins. It looks like a CD-Rom header plug to me, so that could be a plug source for you.

cheers for that, ill have a hunt around tomorrow as im not sure ive got any of those leads, i have a feeling its a bit smaller but worth a try, i tried phoning dell today who were as much use as a chocolate fireguard, they couldnt even find there own bloody system, a fx what? you want to buy a hard drive?

No problem, looks like a very smart system hope you get it up and running, i recon these would make great download boxes just a shame its not passive tho.

i got it running by using a power lead of main pc just to see what it was like but it didnt like 720p :( so its gone back im afraid was a very nice box the only fan was for the hdd caddy and it was extremely quiet, i may get another one day for that kind of application but as I was going to have it under tv for a kinda media centre I think im gonna get a studio hybrid instead, is the x3100 intel vga capable of hd? 720p is fine as thats all my tv is

i got it running by using a power lead of main pc just to see what it was like but it didnt like 720p :( so its gone back im afraid was a very nice box the only fan was for the hdd caddy and it was extremely quiet, i may get another one day for that kind of application but as I was going to have it under tv for a kinda media centre I think im gonna get a studio hybrid instead, is the x3100 intel vga capable of hd? 720p is fine as thats all my tv is

Noooo dont go for the studio it wont be much better you best of going with an Nvidia ION setup such as the Acer REVO which has a dedicated 9400M gpu which will run 1080p just fine :).

took your word on that one and picked one up dirt cheap :) should get it very soon

Glad to hear it m8, i had a Studio previosuly and its typical of any onboard intel gpu and doesnt like HD, the ION should run HD just fine just make sure your using the correct software that uses the GPu to decode HD not the CPU ;).

got the revo today and im rather impressed, plays 1080p wmv samples no problem but as it will be connected to a 720p tv its hardly going to be a problem, was suprised it even ran hl2 at 720p :) (not brilliantly but playable ish, if i ever happen to get bored watching tv......)

Sorry to add to such a old thread but I bought a FX160 cheap on ebay, got a HDD caddy sent from somewhere in China and have just installed a Vertex 2 60gb SSD with Windows 7. So far it seems like a great little box for downloads. I'm not sure it's good for much else really.. lol if anyone has any suggestions would love to hear them.. :)

Back
Top Bottom