Is it safe to use Ccleaner with SSD?

Associate
Ccleaner has always been my favourite HDD cleaning tool. I used it weekly to clean my Sammy F1 Drives without any problem. Now I have moved to OCZ Agility 60GB as my main drive and running Windows 7x64 ultimate.
Is it still safe to use Ccleaner to free up space. When I run the analysis it says: 1,010.7 MB to be removed. (Approximate size) Secure file deletion enabled - Simple Overwrite (1 pass). But I have so far resisted the temptation to click run...

Associate
I wouldn't use it with secure erase. From what I've read, it doesn't actually overwrite files properly and may only serve to negatively affect the SSD.

Best course of action may be to encrypt the entire drive with Bitlocker or TrueCrypt.

Associate
I use it on my Vertex SSD without the Wipe Free Space option enabled just to clean up the drive.
Its probably not a good idea to write zeroes to or overwrite free space. That would diminish the cells' write life and slow down the writing process.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you really need to use programs such as CCleaner? Those sorts of programs remind me of all of these so called fantastic operating system tweaks you can do where they don't actually do much if anything to improve the performance of your system. They just seem to give you the illusion that they do.

Associate
Do you really need to use programs such as CCleaner? Those sorts of programs remind me of all of these so called fantastic operating system tweaks you can do where they don't actually do much if anything to improve the performance of your system. They just seem to give you the illusion that they do.
I don't use CCleaner to improve system performance, I use it to securely erase temp and history files. But I'm not sure the secure erase feature works as intended with SSDs currently, so I'll stick to using it on my mechanical hard drive.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your various input guys...I normally use Ccleaner only for general mechanical HDD cleaning...I was just wondering if a similar use would actually be of any benefit to SSD (single agility raid mode). But after your infos and reading on various forums,(oh, thanks for the link OLDPHART) I think I'll continue using it only with my 2 sammys for the moment.

Soldato
I'm just gonna use my ssd like a normal hdd (except defrag) if it breaks or slows down it's obviously not for me, besides it has a 5yr warranty.

and yes I'm using ccleaner :D

Associate
Never when using the default normal delete mode, but I would think twice before enabling the "Secure file deletion" mode and "Wipe Free Space drives" in "Options / Settings" if you're using it on an SSD. Having said that, TRIM may compensate for it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom