Things you say that nobody understands.

Soldato
At a restaurant in Christchurch NZ I was trying to order some drinks only for the waitress to give me a confused expression, I repeated the order and still just got confused look, my cousin (who is from NZ) had to then repeat what I had said, the waitress simply couldn't understand my Cumbrian accent , haha :)

Soldato
So you never go for lunch or have a lunch break?

Dinner is the name of the main meal of the day. Depending upon region and/or social class, it may be the second or third meal of the day.

Lunch is an abbreviation of the more formal "Lunchentach use as a word for a meal that was inserted between more substantial meals.

Tea time gets it's name from 'Afternoon tea' which is a light meal typically eaten between 3 pm and 5 pm and 'High tea' (also known as meat tea) which is an early evening meal, typically eaten between 5pm and 6pm

At school it was always Dinner time at noon and Tea time when I got home. As an adult I generally have lunch around 1pm and Dinner when I get home. However on Sundays I have a Sunday Dinner. All gouverned by when my main meal is.

/head implodes.

it all means the same things!1

Soldato
I spent 6 years in the Royal Navy and whilst serving you pick up a lot of slang words, so much so that that it is known as "Jack Speak" by the other services.

Even having been a civvy now for 9 years (and 5 days) I'll be talking and without realising I'll slip in a "Jack Speak" word or phrase into the conversation and people will look at me and ask what I just meant.

Back
Top Bottom