Dell Front Panel Wiring (sussed)

Associate
Ok, so maybe not complete yet, but I've decided to upgrade my Dell Precision 370 from a 3.8Ghz Pentium 4 (LGA775) to something with a bit more beef and more up-to-date.

Now the only major issue is the fact Dell use proprietry connectors for their power switches on the front panel, and use non-standard motherboards and PSU's.

So how am I going to be able to do an upgrade then?

Simple, I've rigged up a very basic test circuit involving a 3v CR2025 (same as used to the bios) and a very bright Blue LED and a dead Multimeter that got cut for the testing prongs.

Thus, I then managed to find the correct feeds for the pwr switch, the pwr led, the hdd led, the usb sockets and currently trying to figure the audio side to use the internal speaker.

My findings are below (Sorry but there is a lot of text):
Code:
CTRL_PNL → FNT_PNL
1	Blank → Not Connected
2	PWR + → 20
3	GND → 8, 9, 11, 14, 16, 19, 25, 29
4	HDD_LED - → 22
5	HDD_LED  +	 → 23
6	PWR_LED (Green) + → 1, 5, 26
7	GND → 8, 9, 11, 14, 16, 19, 25, 29
8	Not Connected → 28
9	PWR_LED (Orange) + → 27
10	Not Connected → Not Connected
11	GND → 10
12	Not Connected → Not Connected
13	Not Connected → 24
14	Not Connected → Not Connected
15	GND → 8, 9, 11, 14, 16, 19, 25, 29
16	GND → 8, 9, 11, 14, 16, 19, 25, 29

Code:
USB_FNT
1 → 2 (FNT_PNL)
2 → 12 (FNT_PNL)
3 → 13 (FNT_PNL)
4 → 8 (FNT_PNL)

The numbers are the actual pin number on the connector and the names are as written on the board itself.

Now, I know people here probably don't like Dell computers, but now there is a possible life for their cases. Personally, it now means to me that I can do a 'sleeper' and resurrect a 4 year old computer and give it more life....

Just thought I would share my finding :D

Soldato
Dell pc's aren't proprietry anymore...at least not 100%. Their desktops went to atx psu's ages ago, and their last couple of high end desktops use standard atx mobos. memory, add in cards, drives..all standard too. They now get around the front panel wiring problem by hooking the cases cables into a small pcb attached to the inside of the case. From there you run a usb cable to the motherboard which takes care of all the leds, power/reset etc.. No need to actually use the mobos front case connectors at all. CPU heatsinks and fans can also be swapped out.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Don't think anything is gonna burn up anytime soon.

I've checked everything thoroughly, right from running a posi and negi wire from each led to determine polarity, to double checking each connection. Doesn't actually look that hard, just a right royal pain.

I also have an old AMD Thunderbird that will be used as a test cpu and also have another set of front panels from another identical Dell as a spare....

Think I'm covering all bases....

Dell may not be proprietary anymore but the front panel is still a single ribbon cable...

Soldato
Well done on the diagram. Will come in handy.

Yeah, only the high end cases use the front panel pcb which allows you to install any atx motherboard and not have to worry about wiring.

HAz

HAz

Soldato
skip-blue.jpg
TBH

Back
Top Bottom