Opinions on my i5 upgrade!

Associate
Howdy all, I need some help choosing good hardware for my rather extensive system upgrade.

I've been pretty much out of the loop since the Core 2 Duo/Quad days and I'm now looking to replace the main components of my aging Core 2 Duo machine to bring the thing into 2010. My current machine has a 800 watt PSU and GTX260 which won't be upgraded this time round, hard drives won't be replaced either. The rest is going, and so I've put together what I think will be a suitable replacement system. Here's what I have so far:

• Motherboard: Asus P7P55D - Link
    Processor: i5 750 2.66Ghz - Link
    Memory: OCZ Platinum 4GB (Dual Channel DDR3) - Link
    Case: Antec Three Hundred
    Cooling: Noctua CPU and 120mm fans

I'd very much appreciate any constructive criticism people could offer. My main concerns at the moment are that the memory might be a poor choice, or that my current GTX260 might not fit in the Three Hundred case. I'd like to downsize from my current P182, but if it's necessary I could just stick with it and save myself some money!

My usage scenarios for this machine really vary. HD media playback, code compilation, gaming, photo management are all very much on the agenda and so I'm pretty sure the i5 fits the bill well for me. I just can't see myself utilising 8 virtual cores or triple channel memory often enough for it to be worth the jump to an i7.

Looking forward to your replies and thoughts on what I've said here.

Keep on overclocking! :)

Last edited:
Associate
The GTX 260 will fit in the Antec 300, quite a bit of room in there

229.jpg

Thats my 8800Ultra in there which is the same length as the new GTX260, wont fit HDD's in the bays next to it though

Associate
OP
motherboard is overkill, if you're going to get that one you may aswell go i7 triple chanel
Will 'bring you into 2010' with all the modern features you'd want. No reason to pay £170 for the thing if you don't have to. As shanezog said, you might as well be heading into LGA1366 territory if you really want to pay that much for a motherboard..

Thanks for the advice. I'm a little Weary of Gigabyte motherboards, I've heard mixed things? I'd like to be able to comfortably overclock my system as it ages, is a Gigabyte likely to do this well?

Thats my 8800Ultra in there which is the same length as the new GTX260, wont fit HDD's in the bays next to it though

Hm, unfortunately I need the HDD bays for my backup/media drives. Perhaps with the money I'd save on a less expensive motherboard I could squeeze a new card into the shopping basket...

Soldato
Thanks for the advice. I'm a little Weary of Gigabyte motherboards, I've heard mixed things? I'd like to be able to comfortably overclock my system as it ages, is a Gigabyte likely to do this well?

Can't say I've heard anything like that myself recently, Gigabyte motherboards are used in OcUK's 4GHz overclocked pre-builds, so I'd say they have a pretty good rep at the moment :)

Hm, unfortunately I need the HDD bays for my backup/media drives. Perhaps with the money I'd save on a less expensive motherboard I could squeeze a new card into the shopping basket...

If you sell off your 260 and go with a cheaper motherboard you might have enough to secure a 5770, which would complement the rest of the spec very nicely :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies, I've made an updated list of components before. Looks like I'll be replacing almost everything after all!

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 - Link
    Memory: OCZ Platinum 4GB (Dual Channel DDR3) - Link
    Graphics: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition - Link

Again, if anyone could offer further feedback I'd very much appreciate it. I'd like to get the most bang for my buck with this upgrade. :)

Associate
OP
Ok, I think this is a finalish list... and I'm just about ready to buy!

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 - Link
    Memory: Patriot Sector 5 Viper II 4GB - Link
    Graphics: XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 XXX Edition - Link

Unless anybody can see any majorish problems with this setup (It looks to me as though everything should be fine) I'll go ahead and buy later tonight.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I know it's only a few quid, but are you buying a retail chip and then using an aftermarket cooler? If so wouldn't it be cheaper to just get the OEM one and save a tenner?

Do you get more warranty with a retail one, never bothered looking.

Back
Top Bottom