Asus M4A79XTD Evo + Phenom ii x4 wont boot.

Associate
Hi all,

Just got my new PC components today:
Asus M4A79XTD Evo
AMD PhenomII x4 955 BE
Patriot Sector 5 G Series 4GB
XFX Radeon 5850
Antec 300 case
Samsung F3 HDD
OCZ Pro 600w Modular PSU

When I try and boot it up the green mobo LED comes on but the fans don't come on and there's not beep.

I've tried removing everything but the PSU, one stick of ram (tried in every ram socket) and the CPU + Fan ... but get the same results.

I've googled and some people are reporting BIOS issues with the M4A79XTD + some AM3 chips on early revisions of the motherboard... I'm hoping OcUK are savvy enough to not list the older revision boards without this information if they're selling it as Phenom2 and AM3 compatible...

Hopefully it's just me being a muppet.

Can anyone advise?

Associate
OP
I'm gonna try and build it out side the case to make sure there's no weird shorts or such or the case switch isn't shot... Can you power up a mobo without a switch by sticking a jumper across the case switch pins ?

Associate
OP
Seems to be sorted (for now), just booted out side the case after a cmos clear....
Though I'm really p'oed at the OC tech support.

The guy offered no technical advice just told me to send the mobo back and that I would be charged for returns, repairs and delivery if they could boot it with ANY AM3 chip and if the bois needed upgrading for my chip, that was my problem...

This site states Phenom2 's and Socket AM3 chips will work on the board which is not strictly true (if you get a bad bois revision, you're stuffed) ... but OcUK would have charged me for "Failure to perform a bios update" despite the fact in many cases people cant even get the thing to switch on, post, boot, etc if the bios is a duff one. The nob on tech support spoke to me like he expected me to just have a family of AM3 chips lying around to test it with. Very PO'ed about that!

It was a helpful chap at a local computer repair shop who gave me the FREE and HELPFUL advice to clear the cmos a couple of times and try a build out side the case to check for any shorts caused by the case...

Fingers crossed it was the CMOS and not a case fault... I'll go stick it back in now and hope for the best:(

Soldato
I was wondering about this the other day what would happen if you were doing a system build and needed to update the BIOS to support your CPU but didn't have another compatible CPU to boot with...

Back
Top Bottom