Stuttering effect with Acer GD245HD monitor when in 120hz mode

Associate
I have a strange problem with my new 120hz monitor and i was wondering if anyone else has encountered it with any other make or the acer.

Basically when 120hz mode is selected a very small but perceptible "hitching" like effect can be observed every 2 seconds of so.It is most visable when using a strafe key in any shooter and say looking along a line of trees in crysis for instance.Now im well aware of all the so called micro stuttering issue that people have been talking about but here comes the real odd part.

Selecting 110hz also causes the hitch but its much less frequent i.e every 5 seconds or so.Selecting 100hz completly cures it but every 20 to 30 seconds an odd tearing effect happens that looks like the display updating or something.This last effect occurs even with v-sync on,although its not always noticeable and MUCH better than the hitching.

My system consists of 2x5870,win 7 64-bit,acer GD245HD monitor,i7-920 o/c to 3.78ghz and 6 meg of ram.ive tried catalyst version 10.2 to 10.5 with no change.Ive tried vsync on/off triple buffering on/off ,ive even tried putting 2 crossfire bridges on ;).

If i was to guess it seems like some sort of syncronisation problem that gets better the lower the hz go(60 hz is perfect).Its as if the montior or video cards cant display quick enough and thus a small delay is produced while either the video cards or monitor "catch up" so to speak.I know this sounds like nonsense but the effect is so perfectly timed (every 2 seconds) that i spent ages looking for some program that might be "polling" which usually accounts for hitching/stuttering effects,but i can rule that out cos if i lower the hz its fine :(.

Ive tried the usual suspect of disabling x-fire and yes im using the dual dvi lead that came with the monitor ;) all to no avail :( .

Im gonna have to try it with my mates gtx 275 and see if the same happens,it will prove if its monitor/card related.
To any one else who would like to try and see if theres does it i would advise using a non analogue style of input to allow perfect fluid motion(no point using mouse)then get to a point in a game and use strafe while looking at a wall/line of trees,this is where it is at its most noticeable.

Oh and just to add it can be seen in windows also,grab a small window and do circle like movements with the mouse and clearly every 2 seconds a small stutter occurs,not devastatingly bad but once seen annoying as hell ;).Again,dropping to 100 hz gets rid of it.

Sorry for the long post :),but its been bugging me for a few weeks now and id really like to know if anyone else has witnessed it.

Yours

Dash

Associate
OP
i have this monitor and im using Nvdia and have no issues with 120HZ, i would put it down to ATI drivers maybe.

to be fair thats my first inclination also,ATI arent exactly known for being top notch in the driver department:D .Ill try and get my monitor down to my friends this weekend and try it on his gtx 275.Ill report back my findings.

Yours

Dash

Soldato
to be fair thats my first inclination also,ATI arent exactly known for being top notch in the driver department:D .Ill try and get my monitor down to my friends this weekend and try it on his gtx 275.Ill report back my findings.

Yours

Dash
Gl and post back your findings i would bet 99%, your friends GTX 275 will have no issues.

Associate
OP
Also just to put closure on this thread the gtx 275 was worse with the stuttering and i swapped for another acer that did exactly the same.Ended up getting the ASUS vg236 and it works perfectly,no stuttering at all ;) .

Refer to this thread http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18165523 for a bit more info on the subject if you have/plan to get the ACER235/245HD.
Yours

Dash

edited for smelling miscakes

Associate
OP
Perhaps,both the ones i had were from march of this year and both from the same store so it`s not beyond the realms of possibilty.What i would say is that when using a first person shooter it`s not massively noticeable while walking forward etc the best way i find is to be in a long corridor and face the wall and using your strafe key so you can observe the wall all the way down the corridor,if your in 120 hz mode (always check you are cos a lot of dx10 stuff defaults you back to 60hz) you will notice every 2 seconds a momentary freeze of the screen,we are only talking a fraction of a second here of course but if you do it for a while it is unquestionably there.

Best games to try are LFD 1+2,crysis and a really good one if you have it is HALO.Halo is best cos it has a VERY smooth pan on the title screen and makes it very easy to observe it.Halo also requires that you force it to use 1920x1080 and 120hz as if i remember right its not selectable on the graphics options.

If you cant see it then like you said it must be a duff batch where i got mine from.

Yours

Dash

P.s all this is observed in NORMAL 2d mode using ati and nvidia cards,i have no idea if its the same when using it with 3d glasses and nividia card.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom