What Router for Sky?

Associate
Hmm the broadband is up and down, up and down. I'm presuming the line is being trained - any ideas how long it will take to settle down?

If you are on their upto 20 meg (LLU) broadband, then DLM runs pretty much from when you go live and can continue to run for upto 10 or sometimes 14 days.

DLM basically determines what speed your line can reliably hold/manage.

If you log into the Sky website from the below link, you will see so far down that page 'Line connection testing completed on'.

http://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/mysky/getbroadband

DLM ran for me for 7 days, but everybody is different. I found that while DLM was running, my router pretty much rebooted (due to DLM) at around 2:30am. During DLM your speeds and connection can be up and down.

If you log into your router by entering http://192.168.0.1/ in your internet browser, then click on SHOW STATISTICS, you will see port WAN, port LAN, keep an eye on these and you will be able to see when/if your router has been rebooted, basically the figures that will be shown, will only be showing a figure of a few hours. So if you check these before you go to bed and then check them again in the morning, you will be able to see if DLM has rebooted your router during the early hours of the morning.

Associate
Nothing about 'Line connection testing completed on', it just says 'Line testing not currently in progress'.

Yeah mine showed that for the first 3 days, then My Sky catches up and shows the correct information. After 3 days mine showed 'Line testing began on the 6 September' (or words to that affect).

My Sky is days behind in the information it shows.

Associate
Is the router exclusive to Sky?

Yeah the routers are exclusive to Sky. Saying that though, most of the innards of them are similar to presently available models that the manufacturer sells, then Sky get them put into their own custom made case. For example, the D-Link which Sky are sending out now is very similar (inside) to the D-Link DSL-2740B (the B means that it uses the Broadcom chipset).

Sky's currently supplied D-Link uses a Broadcom chipset, I know this has I took the one I have to bits and had a look inside :D . The model name & number for Sky's D-Link model is DSL-2640S (the S I expect means that its Sky's own model of router). You won't see this model on D-Link's website because it is only available to/from Sky.

With the older models of router that Sky used to send out (Netgear, Sagem) it was possible to enter the details off of the sticker on the bottom of the router, into a website, that would then decrypt the details and provide the actual username and password that the router used to connect to Sky broadband and then use these in whichever router you wanted to. But currently, the D-Link has not been cracked.

For anyone who is interested re the D-Link been cracked. It might be an idea to join and bookmark the Sky User forum, has this is where all the other details of the earlier routers been cracked was posted.

Here's some links that might be of interest:

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-router/38929-d-link-dsl-2640s-extracting-username-password-hope-these-might-help-someone.html

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-help/

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-router/

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm using sky with the D-Link router and I'm firmly of the opinion it's the best one I've used. I've been through several Netgear ones and this beats them hands down for signal strength and reliability. I won't go back.

Sky's speeds are putting BT's to shame as well. Those con artists appear to have taken me for a ride for several years...

Associate
If you can afford it, deffo go for a Draytek 2820

When you get Sky broadband, it is in their terms and conditions that you must use their router (although a lot of people don't) I just thought I would point this out.

Another thing. A new customer to Sky is very likely to get the new D-Link router, has it appears that the SAGEM and the Netgear ones are no longer getting sent out by Sky. So at this time with the D-Link not been cracked to enable extraction of the username and password, it is not possible to use any other router, until a time when the D-Link has been cracked to enable extraction of its username and password.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Yeah the routers are exclusive to Sky. Saying that though, most of the innards of them are similar to presently available models that the manufacturer sells, then Sky get them put into their own custom made case. For example, the D-Link which Sky are sending out now is very similar (inside) to the D-Link DSL-2740B (the B means that it uses the Broadcom chipset).

Thanks. I have always liked D-Link routers ever since I had the DGL-4300 with NTL cable modem service. I think I'll wait until I get FTTC and pick up a different D-Link model with a WAN port.

Caporegime
OP
Modem
ADSL Firmware Version A2pD030i.d22k
Modem Status ADSL Link Up
DownStream Connection Speed 512
UpStream Connection Speed 412
VPI 0
VCI 38
Been like this for a few days now, have emailed Sky with no response. I guess I'll phone them in the morning, and hope that this isn't a sign of things to come..

Caporegime
OP
Hmm, since we switched the phone has been unuseable, and the broadband speed is up and down like the proverbial whores drawers. And their technical support is less than helpful. Been on hold for 30 minutes now as I'm trying to get them to send an engineer. Thankfully they called me..

Soldato
Hmm, since we switched the phone has been unuseable, and the broadband speed is up and down like the proverbial whores drawers. And their technical support is less than helpful. Been on hold for 30 minutes now as I'm trying to get them to send an engineer. Thankfully they called me..

not ideal - when it works - it's great and cheap - when it doesn't it's awful trying to speak to someone at Sky with more than a single brain cell!!!

Soldato
I find the sagem one pretty solid.

System Up Time: 1439:27:24

6784 kbps downstream on a 44dB line with a 7dB margin.

I initially had problems with wireless dropping out on the Sagem. But I flashed it to the stock manufacturer firmware and it's solid now. Up around 60 days line sync.

Associate
Are you all on SKY Broadband, having any problems with download speeds, browsing, etc

I just built a new computer and im on SKY 20mb will run at 5-6mb during non peak hours, but come 4pm + my youtube wont work, cant browse fast, look at facebook pictures, download programs.

Any idea what this could be?

Just did a speedtest.net

0.06mb/s download
0.38mb/s upload
ping 72ms

Soldato
Are you all on SKY Broadband, having any problems with download speeds, browsing, etc

I just built a new computer and im on SKY 20mb will run at 5-6mb during non peak hours, but come 4pm + my youtube wont work, cant browse fast, look at facebook pictures, download programs.

Any idea what this could be?

Just did a speedtest.net

0.06mb/s download
0.38mb/s upload
ping 72ms

you sure your on 20mb sky and not the connect package?

Caporegime
OP
This is getting beyond a reasonable joke now. BT were supposed to turn up to check my phone line today, my other half has stayed in to await the engineer, nothing. I know I can't hold Sky to blame for BT's ineptitude, but they are supposed to get results from them.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but my exchange is an LLU exchange, so don't Sky own the lines now? Or do they still rent them off BT?

Moved to Sky to get away from the dreadful service I've had from Virgin, so far nothing at all is making me look like I've made the right decision :(.

Back
Top Bottom