SSD - I'm going crazy please help

Soldato
Hello

I have just bought a OCZ 2E 60GB SSD (I thought that I was going to wait but never mind).
I decided to try and clone my Windows 7 X64 image across to yhe drive and it works well but I have a problem when I try and flip over to ACHI mode.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte P35c DS3r with the updated 13d BIOS to overcome any SMART issues.

From the Windows desktop I opened regedit and did the following...

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci
5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

Reboot

Enable AHCI in bios and boot to windows.

However I enable the AHCI mode in the BIOS and I immediately get a BSOD during boot.

Going back to IDE mode I then boot as normal but, obviously, I am not in ACHI mode.

What am I doing wrong to try and use this install of W7 without having to format the drive and start again...?

Thanks for any help :)

Soldato
OP
I got a BSOD with a STOP message. On trying a repair it said something about a device not being able to load or find (can't remember which) a driver.

Before I got the SSD I did try the flip over to ACHI with my SATA drives and it worked well. Since then I went back to IDE mode and then did the clone OS to the SSD and followed the above procedure to try and get ACHI to work.

Try putting a 0 in the following

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\IastorV

(from MS site)
I do apologise as I also forgot to remember that I did try the fix from MS by downloading the file....

MicrosoftFixit50470

to do that very thing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Soldato
My new Vertex 60Gb from a fresh Windows 7 install this evening.

vertex2.jpg

Soldato
OP

Not sure why I can't enable it on this build. I now know that I have spent longer trying than it would have taken to just install W7 again.! I might end up doing that to probably find no change anyway :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks I was glad that something has come from the format. Though I will probably see no "real" difference. I suppose I was being a bit lazy anyway as I sort of promised myself that I would reformat if and when I got a new boot drive as the build of W 7 has been on for so long. But it does take a lot of effort for me to be bothered to format as I do not like doing it.

Back
Top Bottom