Photoshop CS5: Default Save As JPG

Associate
Is there any way of doing this? I rarely, if at all, save as a PSD, but it always defaults to it. Can I change this to default to jpg at all?

Last edited:
Associate
File > Save As and jpeg is the default selection when I open that window or where you looking to save in a single click or something? Not that File > Save As takes very long.

Associate
Strange, I don't think I've altered any preferences to make it default to jpeg either. I think maybe the first time I used "Save As" it may have came up as PSD but ever since I selected jpeg it's remembered it.

Soldato
"Save as" is Jpeg as default, unless there is more than one layer in the palette, in which case it saves as PSD as default. thats how it works on mine anyways??

Associate
OP
"Save as" is Jpeg as default, unless there is more than one layer in the palette, in which case it saves as PSD as default. thats how it works on mine anyways??

Aha, that might be the problem. I often have a few layers. Is there a way of changing the default? I don't want to have to flatten the image or change the file type every time... :(

Associate
OP
Jpeg only supports one layer, if you want more you have to save as a PSD as far as i know??

I realise this, but when I save as a jpg by selecting the option after PSD comes up, it flattens the image, saves it, and unflattens the image... I don't understand why it can't just do this, but with jpg as the default choice for file type :confused:

Man of Honour
I realise this, but when I save as a jpg by selecting the option after PSD comes up, it flattens the image, saves it, and unflattens the image... I don't understand why it can't just do this, but with jpg as the default choice for file type :confused:

It wont do this as a default because if you auto or save a layered image as jpg you lose all those layers and therefore could lose some data, this stops you accidentally flattening and saving a drawing.

Associate
OP
But do you not want to keep the PSD in case you need to tweak it further at a later date? Would be a shame to have to redo all of your processing again.

Nope, I never save as PSD. Save a fullsize copy, then another that's 800px on the long side for the web. Easy enough to redo at a later date if I decide to :)

Soldato
^^^
Yep, seems a shame to save your image file with a lossy file type when lossless can be used just as easily.
Add to that losing all your work and layers etc.

The only time I consider using JPG is for web uploads, any thing else stays in PSD or RAW...

Back
Top Bottom