Overclockers UK Forums Click here for more details
Free Shipping for Loyal Forum Members - CLICK HERE

Go Back   Overclockers UK Forums > Life > Motors

Old 22nd Nov 2010, 21:28   #1
lemonade
Mobster

Notifying DVLA of scrapped car

Just wondering if you sell a car to a scrappy, what do you exactly have to do to notify DVLA? The scrappy break down the car and sell of parts, is there a particular section on the V5 that needs filling in, and anything specific thats needs doing or notifying DVLA of?

Cheers
lemonade is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 23:24   #2
MikeHiow
Banned

The scrap yard will usually inform the DVLA themselves and issue you a certificate of destruction.

I'm not sure if this is a requirement or not, but the scrap yard in question will be able to advise you.
MikeHiow is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 23:29   #3
kae2
Wise Guy

Yes, there is a specific section on the V5, don't trust the scrap yard to inform the DVLA, you're just asking for problems.
kae2 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 23:33   #4
Joshy
Soldato

Sort of in a bit of a bother with this myself actually. I've scrapped three cars this year and haven't received confirmation of destruction or anything of that sort for any of them. What I have received is two fines for failure to pay tax/declare Sorn

Let the V5 go with the cars on all three occasions. Stupid now that I think of it, but they were all too far gone to be put back on the road and I just wanted rid.

Seemingly you're supposed to inform the DVLA yourself?
Joshy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 23:35   #5
kae2
Wise Guy

Yes, the car is your responsibility until you notify the DVLA.
kae2 is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 23:39   #6
Joshy
Soldato

Yeah, figured that was the case.

I guess I'll have to grease myself up and hope that I'm able to slip out of paying them .
Joshy is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2010, 23:50   #7
MikeHiow
Banned

Can't say I've ever had this issue.

The certificate of destruction is sufficient evidence if you ever have any troubles, anyway.

If you walk away without one, and then fail to notify the DVLA, then more fool you.
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 00:29   #8
lemonade
Mobster

I don't think all scrappy's issue one, only ATF's. What do you do if the scrappy doesn't give those? do you get him to sign the yellow (v5c/3) part of the V5?

Slightly confused here, the DVLA website isn't very clear, why can't you just scrap a car and have a part on the v5 that says the car has been scrapped by so and so.
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 00:39   #9
MikeHiow
Banned

Both my local scrap yards issue them.

Like I said, I've no idea if it is a requirement for scrap yards to issue them or not, but if you don't get one then fill out the relevant part of the V5 and send it off.
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 12:01   #10
-westy-
Capodecina

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonade View Post
I don't think all scrappy's issue one, only ATF's. What do you do if the scrappy doesn't give those? do you get him to sign the yellow (v5c/3) part of the V5?

Slightly confused here, the DVLA website isn't very clear, why can't you just scrap a car and have a part on the v5 that says the car has been scrapped by so and so.
you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophany View Post
Obviously, I took this as challengeaccepted.jpg and the rest is a blur of free booze and bad decisions.
-westy- is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 12:04   #11
PhillyDee
Capodecina

When I scrapped my first car, (4 years ago) the bloke came with a low-loader, loaded it on, signed the V5 leaving me the counterpart with Scrapped written on it. All done and above board. Never saw/heard from them again. Nothing from the DVLA to tell me, nothing.

PhillyDee is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 12:55   #12
lemonade
Mobster

^ You mean he just signed the green part (section 6) and signed the red part (section 8) and ticked scrapped in the green part? Correct me if i'm wrong but you only do that if your scrapping the car yourself and you might still be liable for the car?
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 12:56   #13
PhillyDee
Capodecina

Cannot remember the exact one, it was a while back. It was a change of owner to scrapping it or somesuch. I probably still have it around somewhere, it was the council who did it.

PhillyDee is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 13:29   #14
lemonade
Mobster

Ah your one was with council, did they fill in any of their details on the v5? or did they just tick scrap and get you to send it off?

Contacting DVLA has so far been useless, their phone is all automated.
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 13:37   #15
burns
Mobster

The law regarding this has changed in the last year or two, there is quite a bit of information on direct.gov which explains how it should all work. I don't think it covers what to do if you don't get the certificate though...

Quote:
People are stupid. All of them. Yes even you OP. And me. All of them.
burns is offline   View trust for Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2010, 15:00   #16
Lopéz
Man of Honour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Sort of in a bit of a bother with this myself actually. I've scrapped three cars this year and haven't received confirmation of destruction or anything of that sort for any of them. What I have received is two fines for failure to pay tax/declare Sorn

Let the V5 go with the cars on all three occasions. Stupid now that I think of it, but they were all too far gone to be put back on the road and I just wanted rid.

Seemingly you're supposed to inform the DVLA yourself?
If you sell, scrap or export a car it is your responsibility to inform the DVLA. The new keeper should not be involved.

In a collision, there you are. In an explosion, where are you?
Lopéz is online now   View trust for Reply With Quote