• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rumour: AMD preparing "revision" for HD 6950/6970?

Soldato
Gabriel Rouchon, CEO of water-cooling experts Swiftech, has revealed that AMD is planning to release a revised PCB for the Cayman cards HD 6950 and HD 6970. Following a delay of 3 weeks, AMD rushed "initial release" products to the market, with a "revision" coming shortly. The changes are hinted to be related to VRM and power components, being major enough to warrant a redesign for Swiftech's waterblock.

Interestingly, it is suggested that the TI DrMOS shortage we reported in November might have forced AMD to opt for Volterra DrMOS. Rumours suggest that AMD will revert back to the TI DrMOS for the "revision" PCB.

This revision might also give AMD the opportunity to hard disable BIOS unlocking of SIMDs from 6950 to 6970.

Exactly how major (or minor) this revision is, and how it will benefit the end user, remains to be seen.
http://vr-zone.com/articles/rumour-amd-preparing-revision-for-hd-6950-6970-/10569.html

Soldato
I was hoping they were going to release cooling running higher clocked cards. Seems like the current ones are very hot for their size, maybe due to bad leakage levels.

Permabanned
New changes include:-

A) No further hand crafting of power connectors.
B) unlocking will be stopped. They are losing some serious £ due to 6970 no selling well
C) reduction in power and load and possibly heat

Soldato
B) unlocking will be stopped. They are losing some serious £ due to 6970 no selling well
I doubt it, their is probally loads of people out there that woudn't of even upgraded to the 6950 let alone the 6970 if it wasn't for the fact they can be flashed to 6970.

I would have happily kept my 5850, untill the next generation of cards.

Soldato
I was hoping they were going to release cooling running higher clocked cards. Seems like the current ones are very hot for their size, maybe due to bad leakage levels.

8 256MB memory chips giving off over 15 watt of heat each.

Leakage will not be a problem by now ffs.

Soldato
New changes include:-

A) No further hand crafting of power connectors.
C) reduction in power and load and possibly heat

Why don't you dig deeper, you might pull something out your ass that's actually true and relevant.

Associate
IMO the unlocks will stay. I'm sure AMD are selling more 6950s due to the unlock than they would have 6970s without. It also puts nVidias gtx560 in somewhat of an awkward position. Do they compete with a stock 6950 or an unlocked one?

Soldato
IMO the unlocks will stay. I'm sure AMD are selling more 6950s due to the unlock than they would have 6970s without. It also puts nVidias gtx560 in somewhat of an awkward position. Do they compete with a stock 6950 or an unlocked one?

Depends whether the 6970 are going to hit higher clocks than the 6950s or if AMD had great yields and just randomly flashed some cards to be 6950s. Also, I'd guess a lot of people won't flash the bios to 6970 anyhow. I reckon they'll leave the cards capable of unlocking.

Soldato
Why don't you dig deeper, you might pull something out your ass that's actually true and relevant.

starskg0.jpg

Associate
Pardon my MASSIVE ignorance (which seems to grow larger the more I read on here) but what does this mean in laymans terms?

I know it's just a rumour on a website but to me it reads:

That the initial 6950s and 6970s were rushed out and they are going to change some of the actual hardware to something better?

Would, any of the rumoured revisions be doable via an update or is it physically changing parts in the cards?

If someone could explain to an 8year old basically that will probably help :D

Cheers,

Wu

Back
Top Bottom