ga-x58a-ud3r bios

Associate
It does sound like you might have a bad BIOS flash.

I suggest you re-download the bios (check and see if there is a newer version) and reflash. Please use a USB stick and do not go via the Windows OS.

Let me know if it sorts your problem out.

Associate
Did you by any chance update the bios because of problems with audio cracking and poping due to DPC latency spikes?

I am having this problem with my ultima dreadnought (ga-x58a-ud3r rev2.0) and have also read on the gigabyte forums that a bios update fixes this audio bug.

But I am afraid something will go wrong as you have described with your bios update.

Will ocuk not support my systems overclock if i make the bios update to fix this bug?

Ali

Ali

Associate
hi.i have the gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r revision 2 board and have updated the bios to version FC.now if i leave the pc for a time at idle it seems to lock up.has anyone else seen this?

Not sure if its related, but I updated to the FE Bios on the same board and have found Ive "lost" the 23x multiplier - if I select 23x, it runs at 24x (22x & 24x function normally though)... I run a 950.

Check in the MIT status screen or run CPUZ and check what the multiplier is actually running at - you may find you've inadvertently increased your OC. If you have the same problem as me, your CPU could actually be clocked at ~4.38Ghz)

Im going to attempt a re-flash myself - going from 4.0 to ~4.2Ghz seems to have lost my cooling sweet spot (on air).

Last edited:
Associate
ali, after searching google and various forums I can't find anyone else reporting this 23x problem.

I'm probably running a very simlar rig to you (check the ultima dreadnought system from ocuk, thats what I have)

Anyways, dispite being worried about ocuk not supporting my oc if I update the bios, this DPC latency problem effecting audio and causing fps to stutter in games is too major. Theres a huge amount of people with ga-x58a boards all reporting that the bios update stops the DPC spikes.

It would seem the spikes start on all these boards without the latest bios when the northbridge temp gets above a cirtain level (when the led for nb temp first lights on). It seems the older bios is doing something to cause the northbridge to restrict itself to cooldown. However this causes DPC spikes untill the bios thinks the nb is cool enought to go back to normal.

So seeming gigabyte fixed it at one point (maybe FC) for the ud3r rev2.
If you have a diffrent version or rev of a ga-x58a board then from what I have seen there are bios updates for all of them solving this common problem.
I'm about to update to the latest bios of FE myself.

I've seen some people, from before the bios fix came out, that they attached fans to the northbridge to keep it cooler, though this helped with the frequency of it happening, they still eventually would get the dpc spikes (sometimes when the nb wasnt even that hot) some others were also reporting that the actual nb temprature mesured with external sensors was lower than the bios reported. Possibly the whole problem was because of inaccurate temprature readings in the earlier bios.

I'm just about to write down all of the ocuk bios preset to set in to the FE bios after the update. I'll let you know how it goes. I really hope I don't get this 23x multiplier problem you have described. That is the same as the ocuk preset oc for 4ghz.

(note: i am updating from stock bios FA)

Last edited:
Associate
The FE bios upgrade was successful, I copied every setting carefully and replaced them all the same as before the update.

All frequencys, voltages and multipliers are reported back the same in bios and cpu-z as with the FA bios.

No issue with the 23 multiplier.

BCLK at 174 with cpu @ 4ghz on x23

Now just to see if DPC latency spiking for 5-10 mins when NB gets hot is now gone.

Only worry I have remaining is if now the Northbridge isn't getting limited by the bios, how hot will it actually get. Hot enought to cause new stability issues?
Possibly the stability issue vectisitch in the OP wrote about (pc lock up after a time just idle). If you can vectisitch, check the north bridge temperature right after you get a lockup. May indicate an overheating issue.

I will report back in a few days after some heavy gaming sessions.

Last edited:

Ali

Ali

Associate
No issue with the 23 multiplier.

I couldnt find anyone reporting the same problem either. Have re-flahed (in Qflash, not @BIOS btw) and still have the same issue.

Hopefully a future BIOS will resolve it, but Im not loosing any sleep over it until then. The machine is running rock solid and almost silent (idle on air) at around 3.5Ghz.

Back
Top Bottom