• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6950... Rev B??

Permabanned
OP
I could have missed the point here (if so, sorry), but a flash drive isn't necessary - you can just download the files and do it all in windows

Yep. Basically the student accommodation where I am currently residing has lost all Internet connectivity till Monday (MW2, I wanted to try SSAA on you :( ). So I have to download it (along with the new leaked drivers and some samples I need for my new track) at Uni on to a flash drive. I swear, for 93 quid a week you'd hunk they'd sort out the net right? :rolleyes:

Associate
Yep. Basically the student accommodation where I am currently residing has lost all Internet connectivity till Monday (MW2, I wanted to try SSAA on you :( ). So I have to download it (along with the new leaked drivers and some samples I need for my new track) at Uni on to a flash drive. I swear, for 93 quid a week you'd hunk they'd sort out the net right? :rolleyes:

I'm an academic myself (Uni lecturer) so know all about the pleasures and pitfalls of our networks. When ours breaks I just tether my HTC to my desktop or download files on my phone and transfer them to my PC

Associate
Wish I could tether, but I have a feeling vodafone may shout at me. And can you actually tether with an iPhone?

No idea I'm afraid - and I don't want to start an anti/pro iphone thread either ;)

If it would be of help to you I would be more than happy to e-mail you the files as an attachment which you could pickup on your phone and transfer to your PC if that would help you in any way

Associate
Err not sure if I can transfer emails with attatchments to my pc... One sec...

In other news, just flakes out at 910, so keeping it at 900/1450 for the time being. Still pretty epic :)

Just stick the attachment on your phone's memory and then connect the phone to your PC

Caporegime
There is a program that does everything for you.

I used it on my HD6950 and it was flawless.

It saves your old bios and flashes the new bios all in windows.

When i wanted it flashed back i just ran the flash back to old bios in the same folder and it did it perfectly.

Located HERE

ill be doing this! with all this im hoping i can overclock mine a bit :)

Associate
did u try the unlock 6950 or 6970 flash ? then run gpu-z see what shaders are. be intrested in seeing if B's are locked. still nice cards tho plus that oc. your getting that with stock volts?

Permabanned
OP
Yup :) as soon as I download the new Trixx/afterburner/smart doctor (depending on what bios I go with) I'm chucking either a coolit omni or a Zalman cooler on and go for some mental clock ;)

And can't flash till tomorrow unfortunately, then I'm gonna redownload Metro (if the internet's working :rolleyes:) and CANE THAT TESSELATION!! :D

Associate
gl hope all works out. not sure if putting my under water yet. its the damn vrm/mem cooling, why o why did swiftech not do a up to date mem block. reson not looking at full cover, have a mcw60 that will fit. DD maze5 lowprofile not sure if fits and a very old DD maze4 tech block.

Associate
Well my HIS 6950 has same stamps as the other picture posted here. No Rev B under the VGA imprint thing, just some square with an arrow coming out of it.

Soldato
im getting the Zalman cooler as soon as I can confirm it works on the 69 series. Just giving other people a heads up to the possibility.

Link

I don't know about the zalman, but the Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 5870 VGA Cooler fits if you get some heatsinks for the vrm's(or I suppose you could dremmel the vrm heatsink that comes with the AC) and 1 other part of the card with the heat pad(yellow circle). The chips on the 6950 next to the vrm's (pink line) are taller than the chips on a 5870.
c03a54216500e52a10b1a118e54597dd.jpg

The AC Xtreme 5870 is superb at keeping the unlocked 6950 cool and very, very quiet. A good reason for using the AC over the zalman is the AC fans can be run through CCC or Afterburner. Where as the zalman irc are manually set.

Here is some temps for you, all running on automatic but GPUz lets you know what speed the fans are running at the time anyway.
Max 63 c @30% fan during BC2, max 58 c @28% fan during Heaven, Fallout New Vegas 53 c max @27% fan speed.

Permabanned
OP
Wow those are nice temps!

Speaking of dremels, I nicked my ex-stepdads out of the garage, as the **** won't be using it again (my mum threatened to call the police if he came near again :rolleyes:). Just to clarify, how would I go about modding the heatsinks to support the 6950? I might get that cooler for that card, and then a dual slot cooler for the 2nd card (if I get it :)), as that would suit my mobo layout perfectly =]

Soldato
Wow those are nice temps!
They sure are. I already had this cooler on my 5870 but I kept it when I sold it as the PCBs looked the same! I cannot stress how quiet this cooler is as well:D

Just to clarify, how would I go about modding the heatsinks to support the 6950?

Cut the (yellow part) vrm heat sink off, the actual vrms are the small chips embeded into the pcb on the RIGHT hand yellow line in pic in my previous post.

893fc3b2e58ebfe0b89c4fb7b68f19c9.jpg

I just bought some Thermalright GTX 285/260 VRM-Heat sinks off the bay although that adds about another £8 onto the price but you do get loads of them.

Permabanned
OP
Cheers a lot for the help mate, that is unbelievably useful :) how much do they cost roughly? I need something to tide me over until I finally decide to water:cool: :) :D

Really should do it at some point, got a lovely EK supreme that's feeling all lonesome ;)

Back
Top Bottom