Overclocking P67A-C45

Associate
Overclocking 2600k on a P67A-C45.

This is the motherboard I have. Make sure you buy From OCUK ;)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-152-MS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1906

Just want to make sure of a few things. First I have use the OC genie and it overclocks to about 4.1. It seems to be stable but I have not tested with prime at the moment.

I have been trying ot some overclock settings and seem to have got upto 4.6.
I have tried 4.8 but i just get a BSOD in XP. This does work ok in windows 7 though. I want to use the overclock 24/7, so will need to work with XP to.

I seem to be having some problems with this motherboard. Buggy bios and it won't show correct cpu frequency in windows, even though it is overclocked. Asked on MSI but no help. :(

So here is a picture of my settings in the bios and windows. What do you think?
MSIOverclock.jpg

ocnotshowingrightMSIe.jpg

It seems to be ok but need to test with prime 95. I am a bit rusty as I have not use prime for about 4 years and things change. Is small FFT the best all rounder for testing? Plus 8 threads ok?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
As nobody has bothered to reply, i have not long started prime95.

I have selected small FFT's test and 8 threads. Also selected round off checking.

So if it can last about six hours, I will post back around midnight. Because of the problems i said about above, it won't show correct CPU frequency. It will be 4.6 Ghz not 3.40 Ghz. So the bios picture above will be correct.

I am posting this as prime95 is running. Don't think I could do that when i ran an older version of prime95, on my Q6600.

Associate
OP
Prime95

I have completed a six hour prime95 with no errors. Despite is saying 3.4 it is 4.6 like explained in my previous post.

Now am going to see if this other bios will sort out the problems i have, at the moment.

That should be stable enough.
Prime9546Ghztest.png

Associate
OP
Well I am disappointed with the lack of response on here. You are after all, a overclocking forum. Don't think i will bother in future posting in this part. So you won't know when i get to 6Ghz on my new sandy bridge. ;) You cant have it all.

Well as I posted above, I used prime95 to test my 4.6 overclock but because of the buggy bios I have, it still shows 3,4.

So i did a short video to show you that my computer is, 4.6Ghz. I then boot into windows. So that is the proof. You should be able to just see whet you need to. This was recorded on my digital camera, so quality may not be great. See below

May will post the video on MSI forum to, to show the annoy problems with the motherboard.

Click the picture and it will open a new page with the video. Wait for it to load.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm pretty sure you're having the same issue myself and some others are having. The BIOS settings aren't applied. For me, I can change CPU multi but not vcore, others it's the other way around. Using the windows-based utility allows me to change both most of the time, but it then DOES show as 4.7GHZ and correct voltage in CPU-Z

Associate
OP
Well I have just updated my bios to V1.7. It now shows my overclock correctly. So it was a buggy bios that was causing that.

The saved OC i did in the bios can not be used with bios v1.7. So had to input all again. Some things seem slightly different. My CPU temp in the bios seems to be different from in windows. See my picture and for the correct CPU frequency.

So you may want to update your bios to v1.7. I better let them know over on MSI to then.

settingswithbiosupdate17.jpg

Back
Top Bottom