Crosshair IV Forumla and fan control

Associate
I'm having some problems with fan control software with this motherboard.

I've seen similar posts before but I can't seem to find a unified answer to some of the problems.

Originally I planned to use SpeedFan as usual but for whatever reason it doesn't work with the crosshair IV so I had a look into the ASUS software.

Before I go any further the fans I currently have running are;

CASE
Corsair 140 = OPT FAN 1
Corsair 140 = CHAN FAN 1
Corsair 140 = CHAN FAN 2

H70
Enermax Cluster = CHAN FAN 3
Enermax Cluster = CPU

So anyway, I first tried ASUS EPU and changed the settings from 'High Performance' to 'AUTO' and changed the fan control to 'Quiet'.
(the option to change the fan speed this isn't available in 'High Performance' mode)

You can see the difference in fan speeds in the screenshots below.
(top High Performance, bottom AUTO)

fanspeeds001.jpg

fanspeeds002.jpg

The pump for the H70 is shown in the 'Power' reading of PC Probe and doesn't change though out these settings.

As you can see from the screenshots changing the fan speed settings to 'Quiet' decreases the speeds of all fans (which it should) but seems to turn the CPU fan off completely.
This isn't actually the case, because I've checked and the fan is spinning (and not from the force of the other H70 fan, I can feel the fan blades tapping against my finger
as the motor tries to spin up again). It seems to be going at the same RPM as the other Cluster but isn't registering in PC Probe.

I downloaded ASUS AI Suite and opened up Fan Xpert and had a play around with the fan speed settings in there and basically ended up with the same problem as i was having when not using it.

NOW! you are probably asking yourself... why does he care about this if the system is quiet and the temps staying pretty respectable. Well when I boot up the computer I get a message before the bios saying 'CPU FAN ERROR!'

Pressing F1 will clear this and the computer will boot up normally.

This message only started to appear AFTER i installed the AI Suite.

I had previously used the 'Quiet' fan speed setting in the EPU before and had no problems.

After uninstalling AI Suite the problem still remains.

Has anyone else using this software had any of these problems before?

Or does anyone have any good recommendations for compatible fan control software / hardware where I can have full control over fan speeds (similar to SpeedFan)

Thanks for any help.

Mike.

Soldato
Hey mate, I'm not one to usually use software to manage fans.

There are options in the BIOS for direct control of fans also - Think Asus call it Q-FAN on our motherboards.

I just always found it easier to use a seperate dedicated fan controller - turn the knob, its quiet, turn it the other way and its full whack ready for gaming - nice and simples :)

Just be careful that software doesn't turn down the volts to the H70 dude!

Back
Top Bottom