• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T - Overclock Guide

Associate
Hey, this is my first guide so constructive criticism only please, just sharing what i know with those that may find it useful :)

Ok so the 1055T is one of the most overclockable and great value CPU's on the market at the moment and for its £140 price tag it peforms very well indeed, obviously if outright performance is your thing then there is no comparison to the Brand new i7 990X (Gulftown), which i believe is an absolute titan of a chip, but also at the moment, especially for gaming, a massive overkill.

This guide is just a basic BIOS settings walkthrough and stability checks for 3 main increments i clocked mine up in.

First Increment - 3.20GHZ - A decent Overclock for a beginner, nice and safe and in my opinion can be easily ran on a stock heatsink if your ambient room temperature is in the low 20's (Celsius)

I am doing this from an asus crosshair board, though i assume most decent boards will have similar options.

First and foremost AMD turbocore MUST be off, chances are it will destabilize your entire overclock and make ur cpu run much hotter than it should be.
Also at the bottom (most likely) of your overclock screen, disable CPU and PCI-E spread spectrums and the cool and quiet feature (possibly in a seperate CPU settings interface)

Then we set CPU control to 'Manual' out of the choices, auto manual and cpu level up, this then gives us the options of FSB speed and Multiplier, which may be set to auto or a bios standard, we want to set our multiplier to 14.00X, most likely the highest option on the board, unless it can be unlocked (feel free to mention if you know) and our FSB speed to 229

This means that Multi (14.00x) X FSB (229) = 3206Mhz (3.2ghz)

Voltages for a mild overclock like this can generally be left alone, the only things i would change would be the CPU voltage itself which should be about 1.4500V, the rest i left on auto here and achieved a P95 stable overclock with it.

2nd Overclock Increment - 3.80Ghz - A common and effective overclock - can prove very stable and a nice improvement over the previous increment

Here i shall just list the data/numbers required for the overclock as most of the procedure is listed for the previous overclock - if anyone wants more detail or 'human' description of how to do it feel free to ask/comment.

Clock Speed 3808Mhz (3.80ghz) - 272 x 14.00x
Load Line Calibration - Auto
CPU voltage - 1.4500 -1.4625V (this incremental change can make the difference between stable and unstable from my experience
CPU/NB voltage - 1.2500V
CPU VDDA voltage - Auto
DRAM voltage - 1.65625V (1.5000V can work fine)
HT voltage - 1.40450V
NB voltage - 1.12625V
NB 1.8V voltage - Auto
SB voltage - 1.33825V
S5 1.2V voltage - Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum - Disabled
PCI-E Spread Spectrum - Disabled
Cool & Quiet - Disabled
Turbo-Core - Disabled
CPU Power - 141.60W- Cpuid H/W monitor

Problems at this level overclock can be simple, one i made myself is that my DRAM frequency tried to auto scale themself with my clock speed, which meant my 1600mhz ram was trying to run around 2000mhz or something like that, which is obviously insta crashes and sometimes cold boots, so make sure your DRAM freq is below or at its target clock speed

3rd Increment - 4004Mhz (4.00Ghz) The final totally stable stage I have reached! (for now!)

I think it was this stage when my ram perfectly alligned to my clock speed at its peak (1600mhz) therefore i was running maximum ram efficiency at 4Ghz stable, a nice performance boost indeed over my stock settings, Ram performance can be further improved by changed a lot of latency, burst and timing settings, TRAS, CAS etc, but will make another thread for ram performance and efficiency when i have researched it sufficiently to the point where i feel confident to share my knowledge.

Clock Speed 4004Mhz - 286 x 14.00x
Load Line Calibration - Auto
CPU voltage - 1.4625V
CPU/NB voltage - 1.2500V
CPU VDDA voltage - Auto
DRAM voltage - 1.65625V
HT voltage - 1.40450V
NB voltage - 1.12625V
NB 1.8V voltage - Auto
SB voltage - 1.33825V
S5 1.2V voltage - Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum -
Disabled PCI-E Spread Spectrum - Disabled
Cool & Quiet - Disabled
Turbo-Core - Disabled
CPU Power - 141.60W

4th Increment 4270Mhz (4.2Ghz) - 305FSB x 14.00X Multi

This is my current CPU speed at the moment of this post, i am working to stabilize it, hasnt crashed in 3 days with it but its not totally prime stable, when i have chance to tweak/perfect it, i shal post the successful results, remember however, not every chip of this spec (1055t) will have the same success rate, it may be more or less successful/stable at these settings than mine, each cheap differs, occasionally there is a golden chip which remains stable to very high overclocks, if you have one of these, your a lucky person, treasure it!

When i have more conclusive information i will update this thread more, for now, feel free to ask any questions or add any comments or queries (constructive criticism only please, first guide :p)

Also check out my ATI radeon 6950/6970 overclocking thread in the graphics card section of this forum! :)

Jamie - XOUK
(Saving thread and updating - work in progress)

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking forward to this :) have one and to be honest im not great at overlocking it, if possible could you go into detail about northbridge volts/Northbridge VID (apparently the two are different :confused:) and htt volts required etc?

Cheers :)

Associate
OP
Looking forward to this :) have one and to be honest im not great at overlocking it, if possible could you go into detail about northbridge volts/Northbridge VID (apparently the two are different :confused:) and htt volts required etc?

Cheers :)

hey mate, thanks for interest, if you use these settings

NB voltage - 1.12625V
NB 1.8V voltage - Auto

For 3.2-4.0ghz it should prove stable :)

Associate
nice one, i will try it as soon as i get a new board.

You didnt mention if you were using the stock cooler or something more advanced

as for the ram, you have the XMS3 DHX or just plain XMS3 (1333 9-9-9-24)
cheers

Associate
Is this the standard retail (125w) 1055t or is this is the elusive "oem" version? (95w)

I've been thinking of picking one of these up for a while and have been hearing they are amazing clockers :)

Back
Top Bottom